Preview Geelong Cats Vs Collingwood Magpies MCG Friday Aug 28 7:50 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well season officially on the line, the Crows will be watching hoping we **** up and then the pressure is off them as well...

Pies in awful awful touch and should be absolutely breathing fire after a belting.

We should win... but hell we SHOULD have won going into last night as well.

Menz hopefully to make his long awaited return, and the old blokes to get a serious foot up the arse during the week.

I reckon Scotty would have tore strips off them last night.
Scott can't tear strips off them that's his problem he's more like some softly spoken corporate middle management type than an actual ball breaking Clarkson type real coach.

I've read his brother Brad is the one that is often heard screaming at players from the opposition club rooms.
Yeah, all Chris Scott would say would be his usual contradictory crap like 'you know guys I'm really disappointed tonight with that effort but having said that I still think our best is good enough.' Piss weak rubbish like that is why players who don't perform or show intensity keep getting games without ever being held accountable

Is it possible both Hawthorn and Geelong were very flat and stuffed after their game last week? That game historically takes a lot out of our team.
Interesting both teams looked off the pace early on, in different but also similar ways.

Potentially. Hadn't considered that.

Scott can't tear strips off them that's his problem he's more like some softly spoken corporate middle management type than an actual ball breaking Clarkson type real coach.
He would be able to bring out the hair dryer as good as anyway.

Just because he doesn't blow up at the breaks everyweek doesn't mean he doesn't do it and just because he says something to the media doesn't mean he is the same behind closed doors.

But I'm not even going to bother trying to argue any further because you will simply refuse to take anything on board on Scott

IN: Menzel, Duncan, Kersten
OUT: Gregson, ???, Walker
Menzel should happen.
Duncan they won't risk.
Kersten off a 5 day break is unlikely and if he were to play and he failed again the club would be putting them selves in the same position they were last year with Brown where there was no interest from other clubs and send the same massage on Walker after deing being dropped.It's simply better economics to keep them where they are IMHO.
I very much doubt they will drop Bartel as some are suggesting.
I think you will see Menzel in for Caddy injured and maybe Stokes for Gregson managed.

This might be the last game I can attend this year so super keen for it.

Nothing beats the walk to the G from the city pre-game, regardless of your form or who you are playing.

It will be very interesting to see how a large portion of the team responds after saturday night.

Would not surprise me at all if he recalled Smedts.
It wouldn't take a hell of a lot to tip the scales his way this week with most other contenders either injured or having played Sunday,if he were to get the call where does he play with most here throwing a life ban on Bartel down back would Smedts be tried there again and Jimmy forward or does he replace Jimmy all together.It shapes up as an interesting night Thursday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wouldn't take a hell of a lot to tip the scales his way this week with most other contenders either injured or having played Sunday,if he were to get the call where does he play with most here throwing a life ban on Bartel down back would Smedts be tried there again and Jimmy forward or does he replace Jimmy all together.It shapes up as an interesting night Thursday.

Jimmy for mine does his best work in the midfield while floating forward, this has to happen on Friday especially if Caddy and Duncan are out, also someone better get Selwood on the track for some extra kicking practice this week, his disposal was atrocious against the Saints, I cant count how many times we had free guys in the 50 and he completely butchered it otherwise we would have won, that cant happen this week.

I dont like the fact that we have to rely on the Eagles beating the Crows, if...we win on Friday night its going to be a long weekend since that's a Sunday game plus the Crows are in great form and have an extra days rest, I cant see them losing to the Eagles at home personally.

Last edited:
I have a rule of not going to Pies games.... but season on the line, the return of Menz (hopefully)... reckon I'd best go.

Duncan should be back, shouldn't he? I thought he was a test for the Saints match.

Bartel will stay in. If we are missing Duncan, Caddy, Kelly (?) , we need him running through the midfield.

Disappointed in Walker, I'd thought he would relish the chance to play permanent forward. Probably safe though.

Last edited:
Menzel should happen.
Duncan they won't risk.
Kersten off a 5 day break is unlikely and if he were to play and he failed again the club would be putting them selves in the same position they were last year with Brown where there was no interest from other clubs and send the same massage on Walker after deing being dropped.It's simply better economics to keep them where they are IMHO.
I very much doubt they will drop Bartel as some are suggesting.
I think you will see Menzel in for Caddy injured and maybe Stokes for Gregson managed.
Ugh, Stokes. Yuck.

I've read his brother Brad is the one that is often heard screaming at players from the opposition club rooms.
He must be loud considering most grounds the opposition clubs are a fair way from each other,sometimes even the opposite side of the ground

Jimmy for mine does his best work in the midfield while floating forward, this has to happen on Friday especially if Caddy and Duncan are out, also someone better get Selwood on the track for some extra kicking practice this week, his disposal was atrocious against the Saints, I cant count how many times we had free guys in the 50 and he completely butchered it otherwise we would have won, that cant happen this week.

Agree completely. He halves a lot of aerial contests and is a viable bail-out kick option. 3 or 4 times in the 1st half vs St. Kilda we had mids 70 out looking for a f50 entry and Hawkins/Walker were both trying to lay a block on opponents rather than lead at the footy. They got in each other's way continually and it was painful to watch.

In Menzal Duncan
Out Cockatoo Caddy

I fear we could lose this game the pies are not a very good team at the moment but they are better than they've been playing. And they've copped a lot of criticism this week I wouldn't be surprised if they came out and played very well. As much as Geelong has dropped back to the middle of the pack it's still a big scalp for opposition teams.

I think they'll look at Kersten again after today's VFL and Walker's non-event last night.
If they brought in Kersten to play the third tall and left out Menzel this board will be in melt down on Thursday night. Popcorn will be needed. Will we actually try Kersten as a second forward again though as you suggest, I thought that was ruled out after his horror end to last season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back