Resource Geelong YouTube highlights

Remove this Banner Ad

Please remind me- why did we have to play Adelaide in Adelaide when we were 2nd on the ladder after the H&A games and won our first final? (Adelaide were 4th)
We lost our first final.

We lost our first final.

This game more than any other used to drive me insane. Until I woke up one day and realised there isn't a great conspiracy, various imaginary celestial beings weren't directly acting against us, and all results weren't pre-determined.

We simply weren't good enough.

And spot on, they got themselves in that mess by losing to North the week before (where we had beaten them during the season). No excuses.

we beat the Saints by 5 goals round 10 during the year. Some teams we matched up well on and they were one of those.
Had we played a West Coast though, we lose.
Sorry Bobby, Saints got better that year, and losing by 28 points in May at KP hardly relates to September action.
Anyway, we'll never know, but losing to NM, who we had beaten by 10 pts at the G- same argument in reverse- was our downfall.
And to add to this argument in the negative, we had also beaten WCE.

Under the arrangements of today we would have a home second final = semi ?
Under today's arrangements we wouldn't be playing the seventh best team after finishing second.

Does anyone have a copy of the Geelong vs Western Bulldogs game in 2006?

I remember we played the Bulldogs twice that season, they won the first game by 1 point, we won the second game by 1 point, I'm asking about the second game.

Mostly because I remember with about less than a minute to go Wojcinski did an amazing chase of Ryan Griffin to help win us the game :D

#WojoForever

really poor VHS tape. Would anyone here happen to have another copy of this game?
It's Geelong v Essendon, round 11, 1989.

Brilliant. Ablett's performance despite ankle deep mud:

4fa08cf52ce96.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christ look at the mud. Cant imagine today's pretty boys playing in that. I'm willing to state all of the older champions are better than the newer ones based on that alone.

I was at that game, huge crowd, my brother, uncle and I were stuck up on the top tier, surreal view up there .. got absolutely wasted (as per your avatar SS) on the way in before the game, threw up in the uncle's van, he wasn't amused. They both barrack for Essendon, and we met up with a bunch of Bombers supporters, but the Cats had a comfortable win, I recall Paul Couch being particularly dominant in the ankle-deep mud.

I was at that game, huge crowd, my brother, uncle and I were stuck up on the top tier, surreal view up there .. got absolutely wasted (as per your avatar SS) on the way in before the game, threw up in the uncle's van, he wasn't amused. They both barrack for Essendon, and we met up with a bunch of Bombers supporters, but the Cats had a comfortable win, I recall Paul Couch being particularly dominant in the ankle-deep mud.

Likewise Cursed_Cat. I went to that game with my brother and a few mates. Got there not long before the bounce and could not find a seat anywhere. We ended up climbing on to the roof above the stairwells back in those days and watched from up there. Even higher than you :) - the players were fair dinkum like ants from up there - although good perspective of the whole field. No one even batted an eye lid that we were on the roof. Ah, those were the days :)

Likewise Cursed_Cat. I went to that game with my brother and a few mates. Got there not long before the bounce and could not find a seat anywhere. We ended up climbing on to the roof above the stairwells back in those days and watched from up there. Even higher than you :) - the players were fair dinkum like ants from up there - although good perspective of the whole field. No one even batted an eye lid that we were on the roof. Ah, those were the days :)

25 years ago! :eek:

Some of my fondest memories came from the G in the 80's. The old southern stand with the tin roof was the loudest atmosphere I had ever heard as a young fella when it got rockin. Maybe it was the acoustics, or an echo or something, but I don't think I have ever been in an area that loud since at any ground. Really got the blood boiling.

Also the game against Melbourne when Hunters and Collectors played before the match (1996 or thereabouts) had me so fired up that I wanted to run out there and kick a goal myself. Was a massive victory to the Cats from memory 123 or 127 points maybe?

So many great memories. Sorry to derail, just reminiscing.

If my uncle barracked for the Dons, I'd probably have thrown up in his car as well!! :)

probably the best forward line of that era, right up until the late 90's but the issue was, there was not much at the other end of the ground. If only they had two or three genuine defenders like West Coast's Jakovich, McIntosh and Brennan (which obviously don't come around that often), the Cats may have won a couple of premierships or more.
Rogers, Darcy, Hinkley and later on, McGrath were solid but against genuine power forwards, we always got walloped when the momentum shifted.

I'd argue Hinkley was very very good, McGrath very capable, the other two were just solid.
Stephen O'Reilly looked like being the answer there for five minutes, too, was very disappointing when he left.
But agree with your point; we had a very fragile backline throughout that era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back