No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
St Kilda, Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Richmond want women’s football license
017867-192bb8e0-993d-11e5-b684-8b47ede8a59b.jpg

THE AFL’s push to fast track a national women’s league ahead of the 2017 season is gaining momentum, with six Victorian clubs eager to secure a license.

Fox Footy understands Carlton, Richmond and St Kilda have formally expressed interest in joining Melbourne, the Western Bulldogs and now Essendon in a competition that could also include two interstate teams.

While the exact make-up of the league is yet to be determined, it is believed Queensland is almost certain to have one of the two allotted interstate teams.

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan put the ambitious concept on the agenda in February this year. “We’ve had spectacular growth in women playing football and we’re very keen to get a women’s league up and running,” he said. “I’m being pushy because I want to do it earlier.”

The AFL has made no secret of its desire to form a league in time for the next broadcast rights deal, which will commence in 2017.

However, there’s concern a competition that has any more than six teams will be unsustainable due to the limited talent pool.

A cap of six teams is expected to create a bidding system of sorts, with St Kilda and Carlton’s perilous financial situation certain to be considered.

Carlton posted a $900K loss in 2015 and, while St Kilda’s financial situation is improving, it failed to post a profit in 2014.

Although the cost of developing and running a female team is not the equal of a men’s VFL team, it is nevertheless a considerable financial investment.

The Saints have been a leader in gender equality in recent times, employing the AFL’s first fulltime female assistant coach in Peta Searle last year.

Searle was recently handed a two-year contract extension that will see her remain at the club until at least the end of 2017.

At the same time she was promoted from development coach to assistant forward-line coach, working alongside former Saints skipper Aaron Hamill.

018258-9e99b220-993d-11e5-b684-8b47ede8a59b.jpg

Carlton’s head of football and former player Andrew McKay has been closely involved with the Blues submission to create a female team given his two daughters, Abbie (15) and Sophie (9), are prominent junior players.

On Tuesday evening Essendon took a step forward in its desire to have a women’s team, hosting more than 80 of the state’s best female footballers at its Tullamarine training base.

Kevin Sheedy addressed the players, while current coaches Mark Harvey, Guy McKenna, Mark Neeld and Hayden Skipworth were also involved.

For a female league to succeed and become a marketable commodity, allowing women to train under the watchful guidance of experiences AFL coaches is essential, an AFL source told Fox Footy.

As a result, the Victorian Academy squad of more than 100 players will spend time at a handful of AFL clubs over the next few months, including Carlton and Melbourne.

Essendon CEO Xavier Campbell confirmed the club was planning to bid for a license in the inaugural women’s league.

“We are very excited about the opportunity to field a women’s team in an AFL competition and will be doing everything we can to obtain a licence ahead of the 2017 inaugural season,” Bombers CEO Xavier Campbell said.

“The club has the facilities, operational capacity, and commercial and financial model to ensure the introduction of a women’s team can be a sustainable and successful part of our organisation and we are really excited to be part of such a great initiative.

“It’s not an easy exercise in terms of the resources and commitment that is needed. It is a great opportunity and at the football club we are aligned in that viewpoint.”

The club plans to host AFL Victoria’s Women’s Academy again in March next year.

Western Bulldogs and Melbourne played two exhibition games against each other in 2015, with the Demons prevailing narrowly in both contests.

The second match, which was broadcast live on free to air television in August, attracted an average audience of 301,000 — more than Adelaide’s thrashing of Essendon the previous day.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...football-license/story-e6frf3e3-1227632017896

St Kilda, Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Richmond want women’s football license
017867-192bb8e0-993d-11e5-b684-8b47ede8a59b.jpg

THE AFL’s push to fast track a national women’s league ahead of the 2017 season is gaining momentum, with six Victorian clubs eager to secure a license.

Fox Footy understands Carlton, Richmond and St Kilda have formally expressed interest in joining Melbourne, the Western Bulldogs and now Essendon in a competition that could also include two interstate teams.

While the exact make-up of the league is yet to be determined, it is believed Queensland is almost certain to have one of the two allotted interstate teams.

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan put the ambitious concept on the agenda in February this year. “We’ve had spectacular growth in women playing football and we’re very keen to get a women’s league up and running,” he said. “I’m being pushy because I want to do it earlier.”

The AFL has made no secret of its desire to form a league in time for the next broadcast rights deal, which will commence in 2017.

However, there’s concern a competition that has any more than six teams will be unsustainable due to the limited talent pool.

A cap of six teams is expected to create a bidding system of sorts, with St Kilda and Carlton’s perilous financial situation certain to be considered.

Carlton posted a $900K loss in 2015 and, while St Kilda’s financial situation is improving, it failed to post a profit in 2014.

Although the cost of developing and running a female team is not the equal of a men’s VFL team, it is nevertheless a considerable financial investment.

The Saints have been a leader in gender equality in recent times, employing the AFL’s first fulltime female assistant coach in Peta Searle last year.

Searle was recently handed a two-year contract extension that will see her remain at the club until at least the end of 2017.

At the same time she was promoted from development coach to assistant forward-line coach, working alongside former Saints skipper Aaron Hamill.

018258-9e99b220-993d-11e5-b684-8b47ede8a59b.jpg

Carlton’s head of football and former player Andrew McKay has been closely involved with the Blues submission to create a female team given his two daughters, Abbie (15) and Sophie (9), are prominent junior players.

On Tuesday evening Essendon took a step forward in its desire to have a women’s team, hosting more than 80 of the state’s best female footballers at its Tullamarine training base.

Kevin Sheedy addressed the players, while current coaches Mark Harvey, Guy McKenna, Mark Neeld and Hayden Skipworth were also involved.

For a female league to succeed and become a marketable commodity, allowing women to train under the watchful guidance of experiences AFL coaches is essential, an AFL source told Fox Footy.

As a result, the Victorian Academy squad of more than 100 players will spend time at a handful of AFL clubs over the next few months, including Carlton and Melbourne.

Essendon CEO Xavier Campbell confirmed the club was planning to bid for a license in the inaugural women’s league.

“We are very excited about the opportunity to field a women’s team in an AFL competition and will be doing everything we can to obtain a licence ahead of the 2017 inaugural season,” Bombers CEO Xavier Campbell said.

“The club has the facilities, operational capacity, and commercial and financial model to ensure the introduction of a women’s team can be a sustainable and successful part of our organisation and we are really excited to be part of such a great initiative.

“It’s not an easy exercise in terms of the resources and commitment that is needed. It is a great opportunity and at the football club we are aligned in that viewpoint.”

The club plans to host AFL Victoria’s Women’s Academy again in March next year.

Western Bulldogs and Melbourne played two exhibition games against each other in 2015, with the Demons prevailing narrowly in both contests.

The second match, which was broadcast live on free to air television in August, attracted an average audience of 301,000 — more than Adelaide’s thrashing of Essendon the previous day.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...football-license/story-e6frf3e3-1227632017896

Really disappointed not to see us mentioned here.

Really disappointed not to see us mentioned here.

Hawks always arrive late to the party but from thereon in they own the party.
You would like to see how it goes before you start sinking good money into it

Because we'll be paying for the teams anyway via equalisation payments. Might as well be aligned with a women's team, if nothing else for the good PR, keeping us in the news, etc.

Not to mention a 1/3 chance most weeks to see a Hawks team win. Plus the lulz if we happen to win the women's league as well. The salty tears of the haters would be fantastic.

Ha, ha, now we know how old you are!

I can remember seein AC/DC on Countdown and enjoying their music, just an Aussie band playing interesting songs.

Had no idea they would be a mega band worldwide.

In about '72/'73. I saw AC/DC at the Lorne Mechanics Hall in front of a audience that would have struggled to crack 200.
That also means that I'm old enough to have watched the great Peter Hudson ply his craft at the wonderful Glenferrie oval.
Sometimes there are upsides to being an "old campaigner" ;)

1. I would like to have a women's team to follow
2. It may be a minority, but some people will follow women's teams and may change the men's team they support
3. We're giving other teams a head start in premierships again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the Saints are doing a Gold Coast camp now. It seems like there is no stopping the copying.

I heard the other day that a bunch of officials form North Melbourne visited the San Antonia Spurs. Clarko had been doing this for ages. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

No-one watches the women's A-League soccer
No-one will watch women's AFL once the novelty of it ends

I hope Hawthorn don't waste money fielding a side!

I'm going to watch it.

I believe we should encourage women's sports. I hate the idea that if I have a daughter that she'll suddenly get to 15 and be like "Oh, btw, you can only play netball if you want to be taken seriously".

Richmond have gone ahead and put their new Rioli in their old Rioli's #17.

No pressure on the kid. Certainly won't make it all the more embarrassing if he doesn't end up being the second coming. Third coming if you include Cyril...

I like that we make our players earn the significant lower numbers.

Except TOB and #23. That one came a bit early. Possibly just a bit of a message to Buddy.
Apparently some Richmond fans think Cyril will be headed to Tigerland as a free agent after the contract he just signed is up. Mostly because.. umm because.... something something Rioli family connection. Uh, yeah.

I'm going to watch it.

I believe we should encourage women's sports. I hate the idea that if I have a daughter that she'll suddenly get to 15 and be like "Oh, btw, you can only play netball if you want to be taken seriously".
Tennis, golf, more recently UFC. Women are taken seriously in these sports. Big bucks for some of them too.

But I do agree. Would like to see more professional sports where women are taken seriously. Some of the female footy players are incredibly skillful too.

Ummm would these be the same Tigger fans, that for the last 8 seasons have said Cyril is the most over rated player of all time!:confused:
Cyril's good, but he's no Shane Edwards. ;)

hypothetically the club is interviewing candidates/contractors/what have you to get them on board to assist setting up a a hawks womens team this week, the club is prepared to spend some decent coin on it...

We don't rush into these things at hawthorn by simply raising our hand that we want a team. We plan it fully, clarkson style, then go head on.

EDIT
Im told clubs are going to get government grant money to help pay for them. Was wondering how the cash strapped clubs were going to afford it.

Last edited:
I'm going to watch it.

Thats not really fair, tennis is fantastic for women, cycling, track and field, basketball, swimming, rowing, winter and summer olympic sports theres plenty.

As far as ball sports go (soccer, AFL, NFL) i watch these sports to see great athletes doing things i cant do. I couldnt compete against AFL or A League quality players for men but watching women its kinda like 'why am i watching this when i could play it better'. Same couldnt be said for something like tennis or cycling. There are plently of sports i love watching women compete in but AFL and soccer are not some of them. For those worrying about getting behind in premierships look at womens EPL - no one gives a *.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back