No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I reckon I'm going to witness something today that many Saints fans thought they wouldn't see....Clint Jones kicks hitting the chest of Saints players.

So I reckon I'm going to witness something today that many Saints fans thought they wouldn't see....Clint Jones kicks hitting the chest of Saints players.
Laugh of the Day winner.

Scoreless?
Goalless?
Serious?

I'd say without looking it up that it's never happened before and it will never happen

Some serious overrating going on!

I think we can keep teams like Melbourne possession-less.
Easy.

Just play keepings off all game.

Good article by Jake Niall in today's Age bout Hawthorn's focus on recruiting teachers in the role of coaches to the club, in preference to ex AFL players!
Haven't read it yet but I think it wouldn't be wise to exclusively recruit teachers over ex AFL players. They might be good at teaching but you still need people who know the game at the highest level. You'd want to have a mix or at least ex AFL players who have the skills to teach. The article probably does go into that given that appears to be the make up of our coaching list at the moment.

Haven't read it yet but I think it wouldn't be wise to exclusively recruit teachers over ex AFL players. They might be good at teaching but you still need people who know the game at the highest level. You'd want to have a mix or at least ex AFL players who have the skills to teach. The article probably does go into that given that appears to be the make up of our coaching list at the moment.
Makes sense, though. As far as coaching goes:
Better to be able to teach and not do, than to do and not teach.

Makes sense, though. As far as coaching goes:
Better to be able to teach and not do, than to do and not teach.
Very true, but at the same time you can't teach what you don't know. As far as strategies (zone formations, running patterns, etc) go it would be good to have teachers. But when it comes to coaching players on techniques for skills then that's where I think you really need an ex-player with that elite level experience. Some players might have a knack for teaching despite not having a formal qualification. I bet Cam Bruce and Brent Guerra have good teaching ability. Sam Mitchell will be snapped up by us as well for a coaching role after he retires if he doesn't have his heart set on something else I reckon. He was tutoring a few of the players on things during the training sessions I got to earlier in the preseason. They seemed very receptive.

Very true, but at the same time you can't teach what you don't know. As far as strategies (zone formations, running patterns, etc) go it would be good to have teachers. But when it comes to coaching players on techniques for skills then that's where I think you really need an ex-player with that elite level experience. Some players might have a knack for teaching despite not having a formal qualification. I bet Cam Bruce and Brent Guerra have good teaching ability. Sam Mitchell will be snapped up by us as well for a coaching role after he retires if he doesn't have his heart set on something else I reckon. He was tutoring a few of the players on things during the training sessions I got to earlier in the preseason. They seemed very receptive.

in my profession, you do not have to be qualified.
I am.
I taught a guy how to do my job, he now works for himself & takes on apprentices, who become qualified in their job even though they are being taught by an un-qualified person
You don't have to be good at what you do, you just have to be able to teach

Last edited:
not completely true,
in my profession, you do not have to be qualified.
I am.
I taught a guy how to do my job, he now works for himself & takes on apprentices, who become qualified in their job even though they are being taught by an un-qualified person
You don't have to be good at what you do, you just have to be able to teach
I said you don't need a qualification to be able to teach.

I also said just because you have a qualification to teach it doesn't mean you can teach players how to play some parts of AFL level footy.

This is the reason we've still got ex AFL players with no teaching pedigree as our line coaches. But no doubt they were selected by Clarko because they displayed the nous required to impart knowledge to others.

I said you don't need a qualification to be able to teach.

I also said just because you have a qualification to teach it doesn't mean you can teach players how to play some parts of AFL level footy.

This is the reason we've still got ex AFL players with no teaching pedigree as our line coaches. But no doubt they were selected by Clarko because they displayed the nous required to impart knowledge to others.
Sorry cryptor, i've taken out the 1st line as it didn't help what i was trying to say.
I dont disagree with you
I probably should edit the whole lot out except the last line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on the Jake Niall article, I reckon we have a good mix of teachers & former AFL players....A perfect balance in fact....Oftentimes ex players ego's can get in the way of imparting information in a way that is helpful & creative in enhancing young players development....Whereas, an experienced teacher can separate their ego from the info they are imparting, & not let it get in the way of the lesson.

So far we have produced Hardwick, Simpson, Cameron & Beveridge as Senior AFL coaches....That's an impressive list in the space of a decade & quite a feather In Al Clarkson's cap already.

Based on the Jake Niall article, I reckon we have a good mix of teachers & former AFL players....A perfect balance in fact....Oftentimes ex players ego's can get in the way of imparting information in a way that is helpful & creative in enhancing young players development....Whereas, an experienced teacher can separate their ego from the info they are imparting, & not let it get in the way of the lesson.

So far we have produced Hardwick, Simpson, Cameron & Beveridge as Senior AFL coaches....That's an impressive list in the space of a decade & quite a feather In Al Clarkson's cap already.
Conversely, recruiting Ratten has been very beneficial. As you say, it's a good mix & the balance at the moment looks right.

Conversely, recruiting Ratten has been very beneficial. As you say, it's a good mix & the balance at the moment looks right.

We slaughtered the $wines at the stoppages....To combat a rampant Saandilands in 2013 the way we did was also impressive....Kudos to Ratten.

Perhaps you should visit the open forum on the Blues board & thank them heartily for their contribution to our Back2Back Flags....I know I already have.;)

We slaughtered the $wines at the stoppages....To combat a rampant Saandilands in 2013 the way we did was also impressive....Kudos to Ratten.

Perhaps you should visit the open forum on the Blues board & thank them heartily for their contribution to our Back2Back Flags....I know I already have.;)
I just do it individually to every Carlton supporter I meet. You should see them cringe when I do. It's a bit of a sore point.

I just do it individually to every Carlton supporter I meet. You should see them cringe when I do. It's a bit of a sore point.

Seems a better way than receiving a holiday - is that right P3.5??;)

Last edited:
Seems a better way than receiving a holiday - is that right P.35??;)

I'm fond of holidayz Big X:p....Seriously though, The Blue-baggers have an open banter Fred on their board....Their mods are probably the most liberal on the entire Big Footy forum! Probably cause they have to be:D....Have at em!:thumbsu:

Just don't mention that Ratten's winning % while there, is better than the current blue-rinse, skivvy clad fossil in charge....Gawd Luv em.

Man oh man, you gotta feel for poor Xavier Ellis... Seems to have done his hammy now! Has he ever done a full season?

For some reason the algorithms on my Google app directede to check oit a thread on the Eagles board suggesting the club buys Melbourne FC. they also talk about how buying hawthorn would have been a good idea. I swear that club is so far detached from the rest of the comp. Totally belong in North America

Playing afl is fast becoming no longer about the love of the game and winning premierships but how big a pay cheque you can get - sad times ahead

Don't think it's fast coming to that CP. I believe it became that way many years ago, partly due to an individual named Elliot. Once players stopped playing for the love of the colours they were wearing, and started playing for money in the bank, our game then attracted money hungry pr%#ks like Vlad & Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back