No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think it's fast coming to that CP. I believe it became that way many years ago, partly due to an individual named Elliot. Once players stopped playing for the love of the colours they were wearing, and started playing for money in the bank, our game then attracted money hungry pr%#ks like Vlad & Co.
No, it goes back further than that. For example, One of my favourite players, Kevin Heath going to Carlton. Even earlier, Barassi leaving Melbourne and going to Carlton. Hmm, going to Carlton seems to be a common theme.
Actually when you think about it, it's happened a lot, players changing clubs for money, over the decades.

Last edited:
No, it goes back further than that. For example, One of my favourite players, Kevin Heath going to Carlton. Even earlier, Barassi leaving Melbourne and going to Carlton. Hmm, going to Carlton seems to be a common theme.
Actually when you think about it, it's happened a lot, players changing clubs for money, over the decades.

I did mention Elliot. The man who negotiated to take over our biggest brewery with his jam company!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Nice article on Hawthorn....

"Hawthorn's trump card as it is evolving into a hunted team in the AFL premiership race is to introduce another level of unpredictability and firmer team defence.

Utility Shaun Burgoyne, a good kick of the ball who can be effective both off a half-back flank and in the midfield, is one of the prototypes for a more versatile side.

It includes players such as Norm Smith Medalist Luke Hodge, who will play both as a defender and on the ball, and a range of other medium-sized players.

The idea is to keep opposition sides on their toes with match-ups and also find a way to best deal with the cap on interchange rotations, which have been set at 120.

"I’ve gone through the midfield a little bit more during the pre-season,’’ Burgoyne said. ``But I assume I’ll still play the majority of it down back with the guys in the midfield, Mitchell (Sam) and `Hodgey’ (captain Luke Hodge) going really well.

“But we’re just trying to get that sort of diversity in roles. I’m happy to do what’s needed for the team to succeed.

“A lot of our players we want to play different roles to be able to mix it up. I think that’s becoming more important with the interchange (cap) as well.

“It’s certainly something we’ve looked at over summer.’’

Read more here:
How Hawthorn will stay ahead of the pack

"Hawthorn's trump card as it is evolving into a hunted team in the AFL premiership race is to introduce another level of unpredictability and firmer team defence.

Utility Shaun Burgoyne, a good kick of the ball who can be effective both off a half-back flank and in the midfield, is one of the prototypes for a more versatile side.

It includes players such as Norm Smith Medalist Luke Hodge, who will play both as a defender and on the ball, and a range of other medium-sized players.

The idea is to keep opposition sides on their toes with match-ups and also find a way to best deal with the cap on interchange rotations, which have been set at 120.

"I’ve gone through the midfield a little bit more during the pre-season,’’ Burgoyne said. ``But I assume I’ll still play the majority of it down back with the guys in the midfield, Mitchell (Sam) and `Hodgey’ (captain Luke Hodge) going really well.

“But we’re just trying to get that sort of diversity in roles. I’m happy to do what’s needed for the team to succeed.

“A lot of our players we want to play different roles to be able to mix it up. I think that’s becoming more important with the interchange (cap) as well.

Read more here:
Daniel Howe appears to be the perfect prototype player for this style.

Read more here:
Very clever changing Port to Hawthorn
Took me a minute to realize what you did :drunk:

Port, and other teams can try it, but it can fail spectacularly
We've been doing the multiple position players for a long time, and others are now trying to copy
Hopefully it just confuses themselves

Haha didn't click the link. Very clever. Though I did wonder why this was only being written now when it's been no secret we've been doing it for years.

I guess having really fit players wasn't exactly considered ground breaking strategy in an elite sporting environment any more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Clarko has told most of the younger guys that they probably won't get a run in the seniors this season.

I guess the benefits of that is they aren't under false illusions (of being best 22 or "right on the cusp") so when they don't actually play any senior games this year they don't feel like they've been cheated out of game time. And for those that do play games they'll really feel they've exceeded expectations - and there will still be next year for them.

The alternative is to tell a dozen or more blokes "you're right on the cusp" and then putting over half of them offside because they don't get a game despite putting in personal best seasons at VFL. Not ideal when the entire comp will be knocking on our doors late October.

A good move by Clarko.

Interesting that Clarko has told most of the younger guys that they probably won't get a run in the seniors this season.

I guess the benefits of that is they aren't under false illusions (of being best 22 or "right on the cusp") so when they don't actually play any senior games this year they don't feel like they've been cheated out of game time. And for those that do play games they'll really feel they've exceeded expectations - and there will still be next year for them.

The alternative is to tell a dozen or more blokes "you're right on the cusp" and then putting over half of them offside because they don't get a game despite putting in personal best seasons at VFL. Not ideal when the entire comp will be knocking on our doors late October.

A good move by Clarko.

SOURCE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back