No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a very poor effort for their champion Pav in his 350th
Just returning the favour to him for all the times he has shat the bed in big moments for them. Guy is the anti-burgoyne, him and Reiwoltd are two fantastic players right until you really need them then they can't carry the team any longer and turn into Simon Eishold.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The way i see it the teams behind us are playing for 2nd spot, gws has the best percentage in the comp and thats who there chasing, they are assuming we will finish top so what we do and how we win is irrelevant. Their strategies will change if we lose 2 games in the run home, really cant see it happening at most we will only lose 1 imo. Think the eagles have been found out and we will beat them over there. Let them all waste energy kicking cricket scores come finals time it wont mean a thing.

The way i see it the teams behind us are playing for 2nd spot, gws has the best percentage in the comp and thats who there chasing, they are assuming we will finish top so what we do and how we win is irrelevant. Their strategies will change if we lose 2 games in the run home, really cant see it happening at most we will only lose 1 imo. Think the eagles have been found out and we will beat them over there. Let them all waste energy kicking cricket scores come finals time it wont mean a thing.
At the moment GWS and Sydney are duking it out for 2nd spot while Geelong and Adelaide are jostling for a spot in the 4. It's all based on percentage so they'll be going all out to win big for weeks until the other teams drop off.

For us it could mean a few things:

1. They overexert themselves and get injuries.

2. They show their best gameplan.

3. They use up all their petrol tickets getting prime position.

All 3 things we did in 2012.

I was worried about some similarities with 2012 earlier in the season but now they seem to be similarities that sit squarely in our favour.

Is it liarising? Or are we perhaps genuinely struggling to put teams away. Although loving seeing others play their butts off to win the race to top 2 whereas we just need to win to hold ground.

But for gws, we have competed well in each of the three losses. You can't ask for more. Yes we have had some close calls, but the key is we were always in the contest. Clearly we are not in 2013 form pumping teams (but for geelong), however the results have been amazing when it has mattered. If we finish top we deserve a gf appearance minimum.

KOLOKOTRONIS

At the moment GWS and Sydney are duking it out for 2nd spot while Geelong and Adelaide are jostling for a spot in the 4. It's all based on percentage so they'll be going all out to win big for weeks until the other teams drop off.

For us it could mean a few things:

1. They overexert themselves and get injuries.

2. They show their best gameplan.

3. They use up all their petrol tickets getting prime position.

All 3 things we did in 2012.

I was worried about some similarities with 2012 earlier in the season but now they seem to be similarities that sit squarely in our favour.
4. They get on a roll and hit Finals in fantastic form, whilst we aren't

Loving how the other teams are going full bore for percentage whilest we liarise and get over the line. I think round 22 and round 23 will be a better indicator

Just came on to express this same sentiment. GWS and now Sydney busting a gut to build percentage to try and out position each other.

While all we need to do is simply keep winning and not drop more than 1 game over the next 4 weeks. 3 of which are at the G.

Wouldn't want to be only 1 game clear before travelling to Perth

These next two weeks are huge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. We don't have to thump these teams. Just win and stay uninjured.

I hate to disagree, but I think "just winning" is for the first third of the season. In the last third we should ideally be doing some "unstoppable juggernaut" action.

We've been (including my own fine self) saying all season that we can kick it into higher gear later. Well, I think it's later. Either we start destroying some squads or we're not going to be lofting the holy grail come season end. We'll be too vulnerable to a great performance from another team.

I guess I came to think this during the game on the weekend. We've shown a whole lot of first gear this year, substantial second gear and a bit of third gear. Maybe a smidgen of fourth gear.

I'm hopefully not too doom and gloom, but we're in need of some top form practice. It's unreasonable to expect that we can pull top,gear out of our backside in the post season when we haven't hit it in the whole regular season.

*sad face*

I hate to disagree, but I think "just winning" is for the first third of the season. In the last third we should ideally be doing some "unstoppable juggernaut" action.

We've been (including my own fine self) saying all season that we can kick it into higher gear later. Well, I think it's later. Either we start destroying some squads or we're not going to be lofting the holy grail come season end. We'll be too vulnerable to a great performance from another team.

I guess I came to think this during the game on the weekend. We've shown a whole lot of first gear this year, substantial second gear and a bit of third gear. Maybe a smidgen of fourth gear.

I'm hopefully not too doom and gloom, but we're in need of some top form practice. It's unreasonable to expect that we can pull top,gear out of our backside in the post season when we haven't hit it in the whole regular season.

*sad face*
I can see what you're saying. I spose I'm suggesting we shouldn't get too intimidated by some of the smashings over the weekend. Those smashings were necessary for ladder position.

*sad face*
I do like when we smash other teams in the 8 though. Watch out Norf and Wet Toast

*sad face*

We'll be targeting specific games to lift a gear, I'd imagine. We'll be bringing it for North, West Coast and then definitely Collingwood as our main prep for finals.

North's tall forwards will be a hard slog for us if we don't pressure the ball carrier. They've been especially good in their wins at generating space for them to lead into and delivering the ball to advantage. They get the added benefit that if they bomb it up high, the Browns etc are all able to take a contested grab too.

Just quickly ran a ladder predictor exercise while procrastinating at work this morning. I have Hawthorn finishing a game clear on top of the Giants, Swans, Cats and Crows, while the Eagles and Dogs in sixth and seventh, three games behind 2nd-5th, and North finishing eighth, a game behind the Eagles and Dogs, and two games clear of St Kilda.

Code:
Pos   Team     Pl  W  D  L    %  Pts
--------------------------------------
  1    HAW     22 18  0  4 122.9 72
  2    GWS     22 17  0  5 139.5 68
  3    SYD     22 17  0  5 137.7 68
  4    GEE     22 17  0  5 132.3 68
  5    ADE     22 17  0  5 132.2 68
  6    WCE     22 14  0  8 122.8 56
  7    WB      22 14  0  8 112.2 56
  8    NM      22 13  0  9 109.0 52
  9    STK     22 11  0 11  92.4 44
 10    PA      22 10  0 12 109.7 40
 11    CWD     22 10  0 12  92.2 40
 12    CAR     22 10  0 12  85.4 40
 13    MEL     22  8  0 14  97.4 32
 14    GCS     22  8  0 14  81.0 32
 15    RIC     22  7  0 15  80.6 28
 16    FRE     22  4  0 18  81.7 16
 17    BL      22  2  0 20  65.4  8
 18    ESS     22  1  0 21  61.5  4

That pits Hawthorn and Geelong in a qualifying final (probably Friday night at the MCG). The winner plays a Friday night preliminary final probably against the loser of the Giants-Swans qualifying final (whomever loses that qualifying final hosts the winner of the Eagles-Bulldogs elimination final in a semi-final, and the winner of that semi-final goes up against the Hawks).

Accordingly, if the season ends in this fashion, there's a strong chance that the Hawks play the Cats and Giants in the lead-up to a rematch of the 2014 grand final.

If the Cats knock off the Hawks in the qualifying final, then Hawthorn hosts the winner of the elimination final between Adelaide and North Melbourne at the MCG and then (assuming the Hawks win the semi-final) has to travel to Sydney to play the winner of the Giants-Swans qualifying final in a preliminary final.

Just quickly ran a ladder predictor exercise while procrastinating at work this morning. I have Hawthorn finishing a game clear on top of the Giants, Swans, Cats and Crows, while the Eagles and Dogs in sixth and seventh, three games behind 2nd-5th, and North finishing eighth, a game behind the Eagles and Dogs, and two games clear of St Kilda.

Code:
Pos   Team     Pl  W  D  L    %  Pts
--------------------------------------
  1    HAW     22 18  0  4 122.9 72
  2    GWS     22 17  0  5 139.5 68
  3    SYD     22 17  0  5 137.7 68
  4    GEE     22 17  0  5 132.3 68
  5    ADE     22 17  0  5 132.2 68
  6    WCE     22 14  0  8 122.8 56
  7    WB      22 14  0  8 112.2 56
  8    NM      22 13  0  9 109.0 52
  9    STK     22 11  0 11  92.4 44
10    PA      22 10  0 12 109.7 40
11    CWD     22 10  0 12  92.2 40
12    CAR     22 10  0 12  85.4 40
13    MEL     22  8  0 14  97.4 32
14    GCS     22  8  0 14  81.0 32
15    RIC     22  7  0 15  80.6 28
16    FRE     22  4  0 18  81.7 16
17    BL      22  2  0 20  65.4  8
18    ESS     22  1  0 21  61.5  4

That pits Hawthorn and Geelong in a qualifying final (probably Friday night at the MCG). The winner plays a Friday night preliminary final probably against the loser of the Giants-Swans qualifying final (whomever loses that qualifying final hosts the winner of the Eagles-Bulldogs elimination final in a semi-final, and the winner of that semi-final goes up against the Hawks).

Accordingly, if the season ends in this fashion, there's a strong chance that the Hawks play the Cats and Giants in the lead-up to a rematch of the 2014 grand final.

If the Cats knock off the Hawks in the qualifying final, then Hawthorn hosts the winner of the elimination final between Adelaide and North Melbourne at the MCG and then (assuming the Hawks win the semi-final) has to travel to Sydney to play the winner of the Giants-Swans qualifying final in a preliminary final.

I am personally hoping for Adelaide to sneak into 4th. I fancy our chances against them at the MCG. I would love to see North knock out the Cats in their usual 'give our fans false hope' finals run.

I am personally hoping for Adelaide to sneak into 4th. I fancy our chances against them at the MCG. I would love to see North knock out the Cats in their usual 'give our fans false hope' finals run.

Crows' run home is Lions at home (big win - I gave the Crows a 10 goal win), Dockers at Subiaco (win), the Showdown against Port Adelaide (win), and Eagles at Adelaide Oval (win).

Cats' run home is Bombers at Etihad (big win - I gave the Cats a 10 goal win), Richmond at the MCG (big win - I gave the Cats a 10 goal win), Lions at the Gabba (big win - I give the Cats a 10 goal win) and Melbourne (a comfortable 30 point win for the Cats).

Swans' run home is Port Adelaide at the SCG (30 point win), St Kilda at Etihad (30 point win), North Melbourne at Hobart (12 point win) and Richmond at the SCG (10 goal win).

Giants' run home is Suns at Carrara (10 goal win), Eagles at Spotless Stadium (30 point win), Fremantle at Spotless Stadium (10 goal win) and North Melbourne at Etihad (12 point win).

Having made those adjustments, I have the Hawks finishing top, Giants second, Cats third, Swans fourth and Adelaide fifth, with 0.1% separating the Cats from the Swans.

I want:

GWS to knock out Sydney.
Adelaide to knock out Geelong.

Us to play GWS/Adelaide in the GF.

I haven't thought about how those matchups occur though.

If the ladder finishes in the way I've just calculated, Hawks and Giants end up on opposite sides of the draw in the finals (both host preliminary finals - Hawks against the winner of the Cats/Eagles semi-final and Giants against the winner of the Swans/Crows semi-final).

That way, the Hawks could end up playing the Giants in their first ever grand final at the MCG. If we thought the neutrals were on Fremantle's bandwagon in 2013, just wait to hear the hostility if the Giants were to make the grand final against Hawthorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back