Autopsy Gold Coast v Bulldogs - July 11, Cazaly's Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next year we'll *hopfully have O'Meara, Prestia and Martin back, and healthy versions of Ablett, Swallow and Bennell. Those are 6 absolute gun midfielders that we haven't really had in at the same time this year.

And I expect improvement and more midfield time from Miller and Kolo.

It's highly likely that we'll receive a pick in the top 3, perhaps the #1 pick. We should use this on the best available midfielder. We are not a bottom 4 side so getting a pick in this range is a huge bonus when we will have a team that I believe can easily make the 8 next year.

Best available midfielder.
So do we bid on Mills.. Sydney claim him
Then Hopper.. GWS take him
Then Keays.. Brisbane claim him
Maybe Kennedy.. GWS take him with the new points system
Then finally we'll get Parish, Partington or Mathieson.

Using the top pick on the 5th best Midfielder in the draft don't sit well with me.
They all get a midfielder to build a team around.
And we only get a reasonably decent player.

Best available midfielder.
So do we bid on Mills.. Sydney claim him
Then Hopper.. GWS take him
Then Keays.. Brisbane claim him
Maybe Kennedy.. GWS take him with the new points system
Then finally we'll get Parish, Partington or Mathieson.

Using the top pick on the 5th best Midfielder in the draft don't sit well with me.
They all get a midfielder to build a team around.
And we only get a reasonably decent player.
Trade pick one to GWS for their first pick (looking like pick 10 or 11), and young Jack Steele (like the look of that kid) and maybe a Pickett (probably asking for a bit much), they get Pick #1 to pick up Weitering, the key back they need. They're already getting Hopper and Kennedy this Draft, how many more star mids do they need? We get Steele and a shot at another decent mid at pick 10 or 11.

Trade pick one to GWS for their first pick (looking like pick 10 or 11), and young Jack Steele (like the look of that kid) and maybe a Pickett (probably asking for a bit much), they get Pick #1 to pick up Weitering, the key back they need. They're already getting Hopper and Kennedy this Draft, how many more star mids do they need? We get Steele and a shot at another decent mid at pick 10 or 11.

Scotty Clayton something along these lines please.

Id love to know whats happening with the hiring of a high performance coach..
We lost Schwerdt about 8+weeks ago..
Yet still havent got an replacement and now its really starting to show.

Losing Schwerdt was start of our turnaround - that bloke was an absolute spud. I wouldn't think becoming the fitness coach of the SA cricket team is a step up for him, seriously how much fitness is required for cricket. I think his next move is high performance coach of the Australian women's lawn bowling team.

I get what your saying we need to get an absolute gun high performance guy who can get our blokes out on the field and running out games.

On a side issue I can't reconcile in my own mind how Bennell is going anywhere next year:
  1. Under Contract
  2. Rocket wants him
  3. We will get pennies on the dollar for any trade
  4. We owe it to him to make good on getting him back on track as his family trusted us to look after him, not just cut our losses
The only thing that has me worried is his relationship with the Suns brass - making Witheriff look like a blithering fool (how hard was that) and having run ins with Ashcroft

Losing Schwerdt was start of our turnaround - that bloke was an absolute spud. I wouldn't think becoming the fitness coach of the SA cricket team is a step up for him, seriously how much fitness is required for cricket. I think his next move is high performance coach of the Australian women's lawn bowling team.

I get what your saying we need to get an absolute gun high performance guy who can get our blokes out on the field and running out games.

On a side issue I can't reconcile in my own mind how Bennell is going anywhere next year:
  1. Under Contract
  2. Rocket wants him
  3. We will get pennies on the dollar for any trade
  4. We owe it to him to make good on getting him back on track as his family trusted us to look after him, not just cut our losses
The only thing that has me worried is his relationship with the Suns brass - making Witheriff look like a blithering fool (how hard was that) and having run ins with Ashcroft
Yeah you don't give away match winners unless they are unhappy at the club and want out. Can't see us trading him. That would be stupid for something that happened over two years ago.

If Dicko goes (which I'm not convinced of yet despite Caro, Pickering, Whiting saying he will), that's enough top end talent the club can afford to lose in one offseason .

Last edited:
Yeah you don't give away match winners unless they are unhappy at the club and want out. Can't see us trading him. That would be stupid for something that happened over two years ago.

If Dicko goes (which I'm not convinced of yet despite Caro, Pickering, Whiting saying he will), that's enough top end talent the club can afford to lose in one offseason .

Especially in a draft where the Talent isn't there to cover the loss.

Got home from work Saturday night and my girlfriend was in bed with the Suns replay on TV.

First thing she said to me?

"WHY IS TRENT MCKENZIE SO s**t?"

tru dat

Getting sick of hearing all the media commentators every week
" McKenzie has the perfect size and build for an AFL player 1 of the best Kicks in the Comp.. But his so lazy.. Care factor ZERO"

He has all the traits.. Just can't seem to get them all to align in a row.

You get the feeling Trent will be played out to the end of the year to maintain trade value
So sad.
From a carefree "world at his feet" booming left foot 18yo riding the "Unbeatable in 5 years Suns" Train to a shanking unreliable defender with no visible effort
Our best back 6 doesn't really include him
I know he's supposed to have that cutout role, but Malceski can do that
We don't really lose too much if he isn't with us next year

personally I think Trent should be tried as a mid, we have plenty of Backline options and he is the "freo" prototype mid. Drop him to the 2nds and run him through the middle like we have been trying with Seb.

Can't hurt

Last edited:
They tried Trent in the midfield earlier this year for a cpl of games. Didn't seem to have the midfield smarts or tank and they moved him to the backline again.

Trade him back to a Vic club. I think it will do him a world of good as a player and also free up cap space for us to use on a better player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone close to the Club told me he just doesn't have the tank for gut running
I guess that's something you don't really know until 3 or 4 years down the track
I honestly think that's where he loses out
Not really tall enough to hold down a KPD role but not aerobic enough to run off half back all day or run through the middle
What do you do with a problem like Maria?

no piont in kicking someone if you wont get a reaction. he if doesnt want to get to the heights of expectations of others around him are then keep him the reggies, or release him. simple really. The top rank players in the comp have reached there personal milestones and they get to the next level for the club and the team mates around him. Look at Mcevoy, Hilly, Durea, Will Langford. all have gone to the next level due to their surroundings. If there is a strong club culture it breeds a loyaltee to the club. it also creates mateship and that means playing for not just the win but for your mates, and sharing a sweet victory with them.
Jack Gibson once said, "if you want success you must have the front office in order".

Someone close to the Club told me he just doesn't have the tank for gut running
I guess that's something you don't really know until 3 or 4 years down the track
I honestly think that's where he loses out
Not really tall enough to hold down a KPD role but not aerobic enough to run off half back all day or run through the middle
What do you do with a problem like Maria?

Saw that written on a tombstone near Warwick about 25 years ago - true story :)

Seriously our disposal by foot is embarassing.

You know why? Fitness. Clearly the move to fire schwerdt was the correct one, but the damage was already done - the boys can't run out games again consistently, and part of that is our reliance on 1st and 2nd year players that havent built the base for AFL level football.

The moment you get tired, your skills drop off immensely. Speaking from experience.

Too many competing comments to quote, but to all the Trent McKenzie bashers....

Trent = Jarrod Brennan. All the talent in the world, lit it on fire as a young player and then never really knuckled down to get the proper professionalism that that level of football requires over a longer term.

Trent McKenzie needes to get out in the real world and see what its like earing sfa$$$ a week as a tradie compared to what the suns/afl pays players for their services.

Trent McKenzie needes to get out in the real world and see what its like earing sfa$$$ a week as a tradie compared to what the suns/afl pays players for their services.

See I hate this. That's not a fair or real comparison. For all intents and purposes, there are only so many people with the gifts that get you to the point where you can be considered an AFL footballer. The amount of money paid to these players, even in Australia, is pretty much in line with the amount of money the league makes for the clubs involved.

You would never say that about a gifted professional in any other industry, how they should work a lower paying job that they are overqualified for just because they don't "deserve" the money they make. Do you think a CEO who spent 20 years working his way to the top should have to lay brick just to appreciate how much money he makes? I'd be willing to bet you that there are people in your workplace that, right or wrong, think you are a spud undeserving of your salary and that you deserve to get sacked and should have to work some lame job for low pay because you aren't worth it.

That Trent McKenzie is in the top 500 footballers in a nation of 25 million is not debatable, he is. Is he in the top 100? probably not, but he is paid accordingly I am sure. If he squanders his opportunity or is deemed by the coaching fraternity to not have it, which many players at this level do and have done, he will be shown the door rather quickly and you'll be reading about him in the local leagues or maybe not at all. But that's not something we can decide, we can simply just voice our approval or disapproval at how we perceive he is going. But be under no illusions, he deserves his salary. You are paid what the market dictates and the talent and work required in your under 18 years gets you a foot in the door to be paid that kind of money.

See I hate this. That's not a fair or real comparison. For all intents and purposes, there are only so many people with the gifts that get you to the point where you can be considered an AFL footballer. The amount of money paid to these players, even in Australia, is pretty much in line with the amount of money the league makes for the clubs involved.

You would never say that about a gifted professional in any other industry, how they should work a lower paying job that they are overqualified for just because they don't "deserve" the money they make. Do you think a CEO who spent 20 years working his way to the top should have to lay brick just to appreciate how much money he makes? I'd be willing to bet you that there are people in your workplace that, right or wrong, think you are a spud undeserving of your salary and that you deserve to get sacked and should have to work some lame job for low pay because you aren't worth it.

That Trent McKenzie is in the top 500 footballers in a nation of 25 million is not debatable, he is. Is he in the top 100? probably not, but he is paid accordingly I am sure. If he squanders his opportunity or is deemed by the coaching fraternity to not have it, which many players at this level do and have done, he will be shown the door rather quickly and you'll be reading about him in the local leagues or maybe not at all. But that's not something we can decide, we can simply just voice our approval or disapproval at how we perceive he is going. But be under no illusions, he deserves his salary. You are paid what the market dictates and the talent and work required in your under 18 years gets you a foot in the door to be paid that kind of money.
At risk of being a Trent McKenzie lover - people need to understand he is role player in this team now. A defender with a job to do each week. Sometimes he's successful sometimes he's not. He still has a role to play in the scheme of things. He is never going to win a game off his own boot - cannon and all - but he is at worst a depth player. Has he got currency - maybe . But I think its always better the devil you know and he should serve out his time with us. He's contracted to 2017 so lets look at him when that time is up .....

i was talking more of a reality check. a wake up call
im a self employed business man, who has made my life thru hard work because i chose to. i dont bludge and i like $$$ in the bank. my statement was in regards , if trent doesnt put in 100% week in week out he wont get to see what his full potential is or could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back