Analysis Good Bad and Ugly V GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I was pretty happy with today's performance didn't think we were going to win today with so many good players out the only person I was really disappointed in was Van Berlo

GWS have far to much talent and if they stay together will be a scary proposition for many years

Jenkins is being judged on previous games here. Our forward line looked potent, Jenkins was great on the lead kicked a couple nice goals, took some contested marks and gave a contest every time.

I thought he was better than Jacob's in the ruck as well. Big improvement I was pleased with his game.

I agree strongly with this comment. Some posters just have sets on some players, regardless of actual performance in a match. This also works the other way, when regarded players don't seem to attract the same scrutiny. Am I alone in thinking that Dangerfield once again had little impact, regardless of his possession numbers? Yet, he seems to have been highly rated by many posters.

I still rate Lyons, and still believe he'll make it.

I'd love to just blame Sando, because I still like Craigy, but both of them played a part in it. Add Trigg and Chapman into it as well - neither of them are dynamic leaders or inspirational figureheads; they're both completely lacking in gravitas and authority; Trigg is meek, indecisive and totally lacking in substance - organizations mirror their leaders. It's a culture that has developed and grown under those 4 men.

I've bitches about it dozens of times - other sides play their youngster; we'd rather back a know quantity - even when we know that what they bring isn't good enough. Other teams throw young players into crucial games and demand they thrive - we shield them from it. We have young players dominate the SANFL, but don't select them because they aren't 'AFL ready.' We tolerate poorly performing senior players, while simultaneously expecting young players to be completely developed and well rounded footballers after playing 5 games. We accept established players constantly wilting and failing under pressure, with seemingly no consequence - it's just one bad game, it's no more important than our last game against the spooners, and said players were dominate then. We tolerate guys like Jenkins and Hendo; guys who pick and choose when they want to compete. We approach big games with fear and trepidation - we are scared of them; good teams embrace them and want them. At the time I liked Craig's theory about it being 'just another game' - but it's not, and treating it like it is, is a mistake; because great teams don't.

The All Blacks, after being the biggest World Cup chokers in sporting history performed a complete overhaul of their culture and approach - they now have demands standards, complete accountability and they crave the big stage and the contest it brings...

I'm a lot more positive with Fagan and Walsh at the helm - they are both leaders; they have authority and credibility and they set high standards (instead of accepting mediocrity and setting low goals to protect their own skins - god I wish Chapman would **** off!); but it will take a considerable amount of time to change that culture, and it'll be harder to do when those who helped entrench it are still around.

Whoever turned the All Blacks around, we need to employ them.

The supporterbase should also share some of the blame for the mediocre club we had become under the Trigg/Chapman reign. We gave these guys way too much respect and free reign and rarely questioned their methods and decisions. The minority that did were shouted down as being too negative. "In Triggy we trust"

We need so much more from tails.
Selfish lookdown play won't cut it anymore - leadership required.
Leadership is not calling players out in your bnf speech and then not helping them on the field.
Definitely nowhere near 2014 form!

Looks to be playing hurt to me. He got a big knock early a few weeks ago. Imo, this is impacting on his form & it's not like we have options to replace him.

results arguably are similar. but we are playing kids. no golden tickets. CEY, Lever, Kelly, Cameron, Grigg, Lyon, Crouch all say hi.

None of those players have been played ahead of anyone other than each other. We're down to Martin as the only fit player not getting a game that has played at AFL level. There has only really been a couple of half tests. Wright and VB at about round 3-4? Wright improved a bit but VB's gone backwards, but as he has so has our list of fit players.

Just saw this which was interesting:

55ht09t.png

Definitely should have got going earlier. These slow starts of his, where he's basically invisible for the first3/4's, will end up costing him his career.

Indeed. I've been someone pushing for Lyons to get game time. He was given 3/4 last week and didn't do enough. When he came on today he continued on his form from last week, he's okay but he doesn't have enough weapons and certainly wasn't "oustanding"

Douglas, Smith, Sloane and Brad Crouch in, Kerridge, Grigg, Lyons and Matt Crouch out, and there's some difference yes.

Sorry mate, but Grigg moved further ahead of VB today. You can have Lyons at the head of the queue, but VB is standing right behind him. And it's strange that you woukd mention M Crouch ahead of VB and Wright. Do you judge players by age or output??

Just saw this which was interesting:

55ht09t.png

Indeed. I've been someone pushing for Lyons to get game time. He was given 3/4 last week and didn't do enough. When he came on today he continued on his form from last week, he's okay but he doesn't have enough weapons and certainly wasn't "oustanding"

3/4 last week but only 56% game time. There was nothing wrong with his possession rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just glad we'll probably be in the eight at the bye. Then we can load up with guns and have a crack at the rest of the season.

Ability to get to the bye with a decent W/L record, get a few back and reset will be crucial. Expecting us to lose to Freo but beat Carlton, assuming no further injuries

It's been said before but it's a marathon

This ....two weeks in a row Walsh has said we'll start well and tackle frenetically ......just forgot to tell the players
Pressuring the gws players was always the key to today. Unfortunately we didn't manage it for enough of the game. Too many of ou. 1st choice midfield out & we don't have the depth yet.

Why don't you repeat this sarcastic post when he plays a bad game? I love the DMack lovers who bring this up when he plays well and say sweet **** all when he does **** all, which if you were going to assess his career has been the majority of the time. Or the other chestnut when he's had a bad game that we don't know what his role is.

He got the ball 20 times today, which I'd hope would be his benchmark.

can we really carry a guy who needs that much time on the bench?

Do we know why he was on the bench for so long though? I don't, he played more game time than that last year when he didn't have the vest. Surely if that's all his tank allows, he'd still be doing preseason and sure as hell wouldn't be getting afl games, even as sub.

The supporterbase should also share some of the blame for the mediocre club we had become under the Trigg/Chapman reign. We gave these guys way too much respect and free reign and rarely questioned their methods and decisions. The minority that did were shouted down as being too negative. "In Triggy we trust"

Took me a while to wake up to it - there is a difference between being a nice Club, and a good Club.

I honesty can't see when our next flag will come.

We are currently in the middle of the pack. We have better teams we are trying to catch whilst watching teams who have been s**t like Port, Saints, WB and Melbourne load up with quality youngsters. Then you've got GC and GWS who have been gifted a bright future.

At the same time we've lost quality players and low picks. We don't bottom out so we will continue to miss the elite talent and we aren't a destination club for recruits.

Jesus that's some depressing s**t man.

And I wouldn't be surprised if danger knows this. If he leaves he can seperate himself from the draft penalty fiasco. Geelong will probably rebuild quickly and he might taste success before he hangs up the boots.
Cats are going to have to replace more players than the crows for their rebuild. Have you checked out how many older players are on their list...

Share some of the blame? WTF? The supporter base is irrelevant. It's not like they are politicians who we vote in. Who is the "we" in the "we gave these guys too much respect"? How do you judge that? Posts on BF?? Calls to 5AA??

Do we know why he was on the bench for so long though? I don't, he played more game time than that last year when he didn't have the vest. Surely if that's all his tank allows, he'd still be doing preseason and sure as hell wouldn't be getting afl games, even as sub.
Exactly
You cant risk taking a player like that into a game and risk a first quarter injury.

Thats why most teams rotate the sub or have their sub do extra work post game to simulate a normal game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back