Greg Swann to stand down as Carlton CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

EXCLUSIVE

Carlton chief executive Greg Swann has resigned and will leave the club in the middle of June alongside outgoing president Stephen Kernahan.

Swann told the Blues' staff of his decision early on Wednesday and was expected to later address the players. He had told after resigning on Tuesday to Kernahan - and Mark LoGiudice, Kernahan's replacement at the helm of the board - of his decision on Tuesday

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...carlton-ceo-20140528-393il.html#ixzz32yZQxvrn

Wonder if this means he's Brisbane bound

I will just paste my response from the Footy Industry board.

Obviously rockets him into firm favouritism to take the Brisbane Lions CEO role. Will be great for us to have some of that Collingwood and Carlton IP, especially in regards to getting the off-field stuff right.

Big difference running a big 4 club in footy heartland to running a battling club on the frontier though. Big challenges ahead. That said, he will be a hand picked (and funded) AFL appointee and will hopefully have their support all the way.

He massively improved their financial position.

What else could he do?

He couldn't coach them or play for them.

Strangely run club especially this Bruce Mathesin (sp)

What the hell is his role?

He massively improved their financial position.

What else could he do?

He couldn't coach them or play for them.

Strangely run club especially this Bruce Mathesin (sp)

What the hell is his role?[/
QUOTE]

To hand us lots of money from his pokie machines, thus enabling him to blackmail us into a position of power where he openly calls for Carlton heads and if you believe what gets reported, has powerful influence on decisions such as appointing our new president.

Big difference running a big 4 club in footy heartland to running a battling club on the frontier though. Big challenges ahead. That said, he will be a hand picked (and funded) AFL appointee and will hopefully have their support all the way.
He ran Williamstown before Collingwood and he ran Collingwood before they had a war chest. He brings a lot of relevent experiance to the table and he can talk to the media. You would think the AFL will jump all over him for the Brisbane role.

Adelaide after seven years north?

I'm looking forward to the "It's time for Trigg to Resign" thread still pumping away on the Crows board in 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

President-elect Mark LoGiudice will oversee that search, with the Blues having already appointed recruitment firm Egon-Zehnder to short-list candidates.

Good to see Carlton have a process in place but they're no Egon Spengler.

EgonandtheTwinkie_zpsc357293f-1.jpg

Carlton. Where influence and decision making depend on your bank balance not your ability to contribute to the club.
Why esle would you a dick like Bruce Matheson to railroad your club and a grub like Geoff Edelstein to be around. And your rich benefactor dies, ahh just throw his widow on the oversized board and make her vice president, that oughta keep the cash rolling in.

Carlton. Where influence and decision making depend on your bank balance not your ability to contribute to the club.
Why esle would you a dick like Bruce Matheson to railroad your club and a grub like Geoff Edelstein to be around. And your rich benefactor dies, ahh just throw his widow on the oversized board and make her vice president, that oughta keep the cash rolling in.
After seven years, Swann leaving is easier to defend than Eddie appointing a former Collingwood player as coach.

Swann was a good signing seven years ago, but change isn't a bad thing...

Board numbers will be reduced.
New CEO.
New President.
Recruiting overhauled.
Last year's recruits are doing their bit or playing well after interrupted pre-seasons. Depth has improved. No Curnow, Carrazzo, Judd, Kreuzer, Robinson, Lucas and Scotland against the Crows. All played at least 10 games last year. Garlett having a poor season by his standards.
MCG deal in the works.
Players re-signing.

Need to get another KPF, but every club in our bracket have needs they need to address this year.

Are you tying this into Swann leaving or does just the mention of Carlton inspires you to sink the slipper?

I think the tie in is the money exiting the CEO rather than the performance of the CEO deciding his fate. It's pretty Carlton.

Firstly, the poster didn't make that tie in clear.

Secondly, it was the Pratt money that brought Swann to Carlton.

There is undoubtedly a performance issue behind his leaving. We have grown but not as fast as several other clubs, especially in terms of membership and getting buy-in from the supporters. Question is, is it unfair to lump this on Swann and concentrate on what other teams have accomplished rather than what we have accomplished?

There has been agitation against Swann for nearly 3 years and some if it seems to be personality driven. I wouldn't say Swann has gone because Mathieson declared it to be so on a whim. I do think criticism of him was unfair though.

As far as the money goes, the sooner we rid ourselves of them and force the members to support the club, the better.

The question is whether Swann achieved what he did in spite of the difficulties at Carlton or did the difficulties emerge/grow under Swann's watch. History says not much has changed at Carlton in real terms for 30 years. Coaches have been hired and fired by impatient boards, boards are drafted more than elected (my club is the same in this regard), the club has fallen away as a commercially astuite operation and the football departement has underformed. The reasons are all important. Fundamentaly, well run clubs succeed and poorly run clubs don't. As I said, 30 years. Swann's been there for 7.

The question is whether Swann achieved what he did in spite of the difficulties at Carlton or did the difficulties emerge/grow under Swann's watch. History says not much has changed at Carlton in real terms for 30 years. Coaches have been hired and fired by impatient boards, boards are drafted more than elected (my club is the same in this regard), the club has fallen away as a commercially astuite operation and the football departement has underformed. The reasons are all important. Fundamentaly, well run clubs succeed and poorly run clubs don't. As I said, 30 years. Swann's been there for 7.
The worry is they are moving from a guy who had everyones support due to his status as a club legend in Kernahan to a guy who must at least have some alliances to some of the power bases. So the worry is he'll get pressure if he doesn't get the CEO everyone likes.

Is the reason Swann is leaving due to him being from Collingwood and Malthouse being from Collingwood and therefore he's responsible for Malthouse. That's the general feel I'm getting even though the reasons for Carlton's on field plight are mainly due to the recruiting and developing from before Mick's time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back