Autopsy Hawks vs Pies and the tribute to Phil Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind them not paying the soft 50 that sh%t every supporter but the encroaching over the mark then umps calling play on is just terrible, been happening all year

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I wonder if the side is restricting itself in any way from going hard for 4 quarters so not as to have a repeat of 2012 (too hard during this part of the year and then being spent in September)?

Obviously they want to still play 4 quarters (ie. Not switching off completely and letting successive goals be scored) but in terms of running hard and being physical with their opponents this kind of stuff seems to be coming in spurts.

You see the players just jogging around with half the intensity of a suburban over 50's team for 5-10 minutes and then next thing you know it's like a switch has been flicked and we see a period of 30 seconds to 2 minutes where you think you're watching the 2014 GF.

That GF shows that you can play like that for pretty much an entire game but 2012 shows you can't play like that for a sustained period.

We are beginning to see these bursts of play more frequently the last few weeks but I'd like to see us restricting the opponents score a lot more when we aren't.
Spot on, IMO.

I've posted this a few times over the last 3 months & I'm more convinced of it each week. Each year, one or maybe a couple of Teams set the standard & the next year a couple of Teams try to follow - usually young Teams on the rise who are adaptable as opposed to Challengers from the previous year who are quite set in their ways/game plan.

The last few years we've set the standard with regard to kicking skills (now being tried by Saints & Footscray) whilst the other challengers tried with negative tactics (shitme & the purples). At the end of last year we added contested-ball domination to our game & the result was pretty memorable. HOWEVER, it's too big an ask (as a tactic) to use every week. We've kinda done it twice this year: We killed Geelong in Round 1 & lost a bunch of players the following week as they were too sore, especially considering we weren't match-fit (= loss to the scum) & we did it against North - killed them - & lost a couple to suspension.

Basically (IMO), we perfected 'Sledge Hammer & Scalpel' Football, and we're pretty much the only Team now not using it. Clubs have even used it against us to great effect (scum, Poort & Shitme) - all playing their 2015 Grand Finals in the process - but we're (Clarko) not willing to sell out September for May-August glory.

I'm more than happy if we corral teams & bomb long to the Goal Square - even if we drop a couple that we shouldn't - if it means that we hit September with a full & fresh list.

*In saying that, we need to win at least 1 (probably both) of the next 2 games to make our Finals run as easy as possible.

I don't mind them not paying the soft 50 that sh%t every supporter but the encroaching over the mark then umps calling play on is just terrible, been happening all year

They obviously do this to stop our quick ball movement.
As David King was saying on radio, the Hawks first instinct is to create space for
the ball carrier and then proceed to set up play. Whether this be with a handball or moving sideways.
Encroaching on the mark hinders this to some degree and creates perceived pressure.

They obviously do this to stop our quick ball movement.
As David King was saying on radio, the Hawks first instinct is to create space for
the ball carrier and then proceed to set up play. Whether this be with a handball or moving sideways.
Encroaching on the mark hinders this to some degree and creates perceived pressure.

You forget the part where it's supposed to be a 50 metre penalty, though.

Clarko should get the players to stand still when the opponent encroaches the minute we take a step umps call play on, see if we can force the issue

Clarko should get the players to stand still when the opponent encroaches the minute we take a step umps call play on, see if we can force the issue

Probably, but then the opposition still achieves it's aims of getting a chance to flood their backline.

Probably, but then the opposition still achieves it's aims of getting a chance to flood their backline.
Yeah but if we get paid a 50 or two it might back them off dunno

Assume it was because of the injecting gesture last week. Ask a Pies fan before or after the game and they'd probably say good on Sam, but during the game, well it's as good a reason as any to boo someone from the opposition who's a good player and likely to cause your team some major grief.

Watched the replay again last night and during the first quarter Cometti called "Mitchell jabs the pass"

:eek: - centimeter perfect !!

Our defence looks really vulnerable at times. Lake is slowing down. Still good but not AA good. Gibbo has played some terrific games this year and would be high in the b&f but has had a few stinkers too and when he is off our backline looks a lot worse. Was well beaten against the pies both by his direct opponent and by tactics which stopped him pealing off. Spang was ok when the ball was in the air but just whacked the ball into space a few times when it was on the ground. It mostly ended up in a pies hands. Stratton is a shadow of his former self. He just can't seem to win one on one contests anymore. Doesn't provide run at all. Intercept marks are now rare events. And his blanking of players is being overrated. Against Adelaide he took betts when betts was up the ground only. Duryea took betts inside 50. I felt the same sort of arrangement was in place for Elliot but need to double check the replay. I would rather play Litherland who can blanket small forwards and provides dash.

The amount of shots on goal generated by pies from stoppages in our back 50 was largely because their forwards worked hard to keep the ball locked in while our defenders seemed reactive rather than willing to get in and win the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great game last night, we'll get you one day!

Just wondering if you guys notice or get sick of the giant crush Bruce has on you? It made the game almost unwatchable last night, tried syncing radio commentary but couldnt quite work it out. At one point Jack Crisp hit a target just on the boundary with a neat kick from the back pocket and Bruce's reaction was that it was "Hawthorn-like." Since when did Hawthorn invent accurate kicking? Anyway, we probably wont play each other again this season so good luck but watch out for us next year!

No didn't invent it but accurate kicking is our trademark and something we lead the comp in and have done so for 5-6 years. You guys are coming, Bucks is a smart coach and has you heading in the right direction.

Our defence looks really vulnerable at times. Lake is slowing down. Still good but not AA good. Gibbo has played some terrific games this year and would be high in the b&f but has had a few stinkers too and when he is off our backline looks a lot worse. Was well beaten against the pies both by his direct opponent and by tactics which stopped him pealing off. Spang was ok when the ball was in the air but just whacked the ball into space a few times when it was on the ground. It mostly ended up in a pies hands. Stratton is a shadow of his former self. He just can't seem to win one on one contests anymore. Doesn't provide run at all. Intercept marks are now rare events. And his blanking of players is being overrated. Against Adelaide he took betts when betts was up the ground only. Duryea took betts inside 50. I felt the same sort of arrangement was in place for Elliot but need to double check the replay. I would rather play Litherland who can blanket small forwards and provides dash.

The amount of shots on goal generated by pies from stoppages in our back 50 was largely because their forwards worked hard to keep the ball locked in while our defenders seemed reactive rather than willing to get in and win the ball.
Both our back and forward lines have not looked anywhere near as good on average as last year.
Backline I put at least partially down to the fact that not only are we trying to get Chip settled but he and Lake have missed quite a few games. We've seen in the past that you need a good 5-6 weeks with everyone in for our defence to really play their best. I'm hoping Lake and Gibbo are not slowing down too much and that when Chip comes back he manages to stay on the park for the rest of the year.
The other issue down back is that we have been getting carved up on turn overs and rebounds like 2012 and our defenders are out of position more than the last two years

I still don't know what is going on with our forward line, I feel that we have been trying different tactics, structures and combinations all over the ground and the players are still getting used to it. Hoping it's one of these things the team will pull together come September and we will look fantastic again

Yes...Langford was ever reliable in this area (busting into packs) 2nd half of 2014..but he too is struggling to replicate said form in 2015.

We keep saying it will be lookout if 3 or 4 key players find top form...but it just may not happen for us this year..so we have to be realistic.

Its going to be a fight..which I know they will be up for. But as to how well we do.....?????

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Is not manning up as glaringly obvious to others as it is to me?

It is a basic fundamental of the game. If you dont have possession...what do you do?

Fmd this idea of guarding space is ridiculous. "Space" is not going to get a stat ffs. Pick up a man...force a contest...get the turnover and then its off to the races.

Time and time again Collingwood led us to the ball by 20-30 m.

Clarko must have been tearing his hair out.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

First game back - at a guess it was planned before the match & we ALWAYS stick to the plan.
Or could it be that he can't play very well? His 3rd quarter was great, but it'd have needed to be miraculous to redeem the 1st half.

Or could it be that he can't play very well? His 3rd quarter was great, but it'd have needed to be miraculous to redeem the 1st half.
Could be, but benching (or dropping) guys on poor performance kinda isn't our thing, otherwise he'd be threatened with the red vest but get a late call-up to continue playing in the 4th quarter...

Why was Spang subbed?

Usually take off a big bloke when the smaller sub comes on. Last few matches it's been a backman as well, was Lake against St Kilda, Schoey against Adelaide (Frawley against Essendon but not by design obviously). If Spang had been playing a blinder I dare say it would have been someone else but his game was nothing remarkable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back