Autopsy Hawks vs Port featuring the Great Escape

Remove this Banner Ad

I think one of big issue that everyone seem to miss , with 90 seconds to go and Suckling kicked the ball out of bounds, there was no-one at the ruck contest except for Isaac Smith. Smith tapped it to oport who then kicked to Moore to mark.

just watched the coaches after match interviews and was mightily impressed with hinkley. he just presented such a great philosphy and outlook after what must have been a devastating loss. those players and club will follow him, improve and win a flag in the next few years.

Hats off to you guys, you and Sydney re just so clinical on the rebound something we need to get better at. Clarko has you running like a well oiled machine, but **** I hate you
You guys will be the team to beat in another season or 2, have faith

Did anyone notice that Boak drifted out of the game after that bone crunching goal saving tackle by Duryea? Credit to Langford for the tag but that tackle was beautiful and would have hurt Boak.

I think one of big issue that everyone seem to miss , with 90 seconds to go and Suckling kicked the ball out of bounds, there was no-one at the ruck contest except for Isaac Smith. Smith tapped it to oport who then kicked to Moore to mark.
Yep played the odds guarded the corridor if they were to have a shot it was from the boundary.

We lost two players heading into the last quarter...most importantly Lewis and Shiels in the guts of it......but also Clarkson was slow to react to their almost Gridiron tactic of running of the HFB line straight at the ball....was very weird and tactically a genius move...it happened 3 times for three goals....with Wingard and the rest of them running straight at the ball at all costs..injuries or not........they were fortunate in that the ball landed for them perfectly each time...giving them a full run at goal...if it didn;t they were gone on the counterattack because they had no defenders in the backline....

We lost two players heading into the last quarter...most importantly Lewis and Shiels in the guts of it......but also Clarkson was slow to react to their almost Gridiron tactic of running of the HFB line straight at the ball....was very weird and tactically a genius move...it happened 3 times for three goals....with Wingard and the rest of them running straight at the ball at all costs..injuries or not........they were fortunate in that the ball landed for them perfectly each time...giving them a full run at goal...if it didn;t they were gone on the counterattack because they had no defenders in the backline....
Yes a good move but they had nothing to lose at that time.

Interesting isn't it, they do that for a entire match and get chopped up over the course of 4 quarters on the counter but was worth a try and they almost pulled it off.

Interesting isn't it, they do that for a entire match and get chopped up over the course of 4 quarters on the counter but was worth a try and they almost pulled it off.

Hinkley knew he was going to lose.... if he didn't try something. It was a move he must have held close to his chest probably for at least 3 to 4 months...I'm not sure even he even revealed it in the Fremantle game. A once off move...designed..to be used if the team knew they were hanging by a thread...

Hinkley knew he was going to lose.... if he didn't try something. It was a move he must have held close to his chest probably for at least 3 to 4 months...I'm not sure even he even revealed it in the Fremantle game. A once off move...designed..to be used if the team knew they were hanging by a thread...

I would say it was a move of team (coach) who thought to himself we are prepared to lose by 7-8 goals if it means a chance at winning the game, good on him for doing so but I reckon you pull that move off on 10 different occasions and the chances of it coming off like it did for them on Saturday are less than a toss of the coin job.

Not only were 2 of our gun inside mids out of action it also took a bomb from 55m and snap from the boundary to get them back in it, they don't go through and we are not even talking about it.

I also think some of our players and perhaps even coaches had their minds wandering a touch to the week ahead at that point of the game, yes that is disappointing but understandable at the same time.

Let's be honest we also had a couple of chances to ice the game before it got to this with a snap from Roughead then a terrible kick forward from Ceglar which would have resulted in an almost certain goal.

Last edited:
If you can stand watching Barrett and Lyon for 30 seconds, check out this video from the 3 minutes mark to see the unique setup Port implemented half way through the fourth.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-22/crows-could-go-to-worsfold-ryder-to-gws

Essentially they lined up all their defenders at the back of the square for the center ball-ups and just all just charged through the middle, a masterstroke by Hinkley.
Unless we win possession and kick it over their heads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon with Sheils and Lewis off there might have been a little bit of confusion regarding who was to be at the throw in . . .
Maybe a lil but from my vantage point it was clear that everyone flooded to guard the middle of the ground especially the middle of our defensive 50. They were protecting the corridor and the long bomb in.

Ok, whoever has read this thread in its entirety will be familiar with the monfries holding lake's arm non decision. Well mike "precious" campaigner Sheahan has said that lake should have been pinged for holding the ball because he dived on the ball after spilling the one handed marking attempt because his other arm was being held.

you f****** geriatric get back to compiling your top 50 you suck less at that.

Ok, whoever has read this thread in its entirety will be familiar with the monfries holding lake's arm non decision. Well mike "precious" campaigner Sheahan has said that lake should have been pinged for holding the ball because he dived on the ball after spilling the one handed marking attempt because his other arm was being held.

you f****** geriatric get back to compiling your top 50 you suck less at that.
Serves you right for watching that show :)

He is well past his used by date. Time for new blood . . . and I am not talking about Hird or injections!

Hats off to you guys, you and Sydney re just so clinical on the rebound something we need to get better at. Clarko has you running like a well oiled machine, but **** I hate you

We owe you guys BIG TIME!!! You have shown us how we can be exposed...Clarko will have gotten straight onto that after the prelim to ensure it doesn't happen on Saturday. There will be one less weakness in the armour come grand final time.

P.S. Huge kudos to your club for the strides it has made over the last few years.

If you can stand watching Barrett and Lyon for 30 seconds, check out this video from the 3 minutes mark to see the unique setup Port implemented half way through the fourth.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-22/crows-could-go-to-worsfold-ryder-to-gws

Essentially they lined up all their defenders at the back of the square for the center ball-ups and just all just charged through the middle, a masterstroke by Hinkley.

It really was a masterstroke...they almost got into a grand final as a result!

Got around to watching some of the replay last night (was at the game on Sat night and flew back to Perth Sunday).

I think some of PA dominance in that first qtr is a little over rated. It's probably been said before but a lot of those misses where either shots from the boundaries or snaps under a lot of physical pressure. I think Shculz missed an easy one in from but that's about it. We also missed some relatively easy shots also (Hodge I think and maybe Ceglar).

From the second qtr until halfway till the last I felt we were the far better team and that showed on the scoreboard. Obviously there was the late fadeout which could be down to a variety of factors (Lewis, ports run, going too defensive, etc).

Was a good hit out for the GF. Don't think the Swans will run out the game as well as PA.

I must admit to being completely bemused by our tagging tactics. Last years PF saw Stevie J destroy us before receiving a tag, then Selwood canes us before receiving a tag and finally Boak smashes us early before receiving a tag. Every other club tags the best midfielder or a dangerous outside player except us. Unfortunately we end up having to do it anyway so why not from the start before they rake up 15 possessions and 2 goals at half time...

I must admit to being completely bemused by our tagging tactics. Last years PF saw Stevie J destroy us before receiving a tag, then Selwood canes us before receiving a tag and finally Boak smashes us early before receiving a tag. Every other club tags the best midfielder or a dangerous outside player except us. Unfortunately we end up having to do it anyway so why not from the start before they rake up 15 possessions and 2 goals at half time...

correct me if im wrong - but didnt we win all three of those games -- that said, i dont really understand it either....i guess we want to play our game first, and then adjust as needed....

wouldnt mind seeing Jkennedy shutout completely this week though

Got around to watching some of the replay last night (was at the game on Sat night and flew back to Perth Sunday).

I think some of PA dominance in that first qtr is a little over rated. It's probably been said before but a lot of those misses where either shots from the boundaries or snaps under a lot of physical pressure. I think Shculz missed an easy one in from but that's about it. We also missed some relatively easy shots also (Hodge I think and maybe Ceglar).

From the second qtr until halfway till the last I felt we were the far better team and that showed on the scoreboard. Obviously there was the late fadeout which could be down to a variety of factors (Lewis, ports run, going too defensive, etc).

Was a good hit out for the GF. Don't think the Swans will run out the game as well as PA.

Finished watching the last qtr and half off the game last night.

As funny as it sounds I reckon we weren't far off from wining that game by 40 points. We were well on top in general play in the first 10 minutes of that last qtr but missed some chances in our forward half when we were still 28 points up and then Hombsch knocked himself out and there was another delay in play which stopped our momentum. If we had kicked one of those chances and Monfries didn't get that soft free against Gibson the result would have been totally different.

Odd way to look at it I know but it doesn't take much to end up with a different result.

Anyway it's all behind us. Now comes the easy part:D

gee langford was good -- when Boak was running on the ball approcahing the 50 in last few minutes and he hovered over him until he grabbed it then - BOOM - clamp down, lock it in...what a champ

also - after watching the replay (was at the game) Lewis was way more influential than i realised - him going off was massive for our contested ball...need him fit and firing saturday....!!

DOC was massive too, some great 1%'s....

and all the talk about us getting a great run with the umps.....sheeeeez....there were a few iffy calls both ways....and granted the hodge holding the ball was soft...but he wasnt making any attempt at all.....plus the free against Rough for in the back...please, that was a bad call...

unbeleivable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back