Preview Hawks vs $wans - Changes & Discussion. Light refreshments and Cola being served.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Underestimate them at your own peril. Cunningham is playing some good footy, having a definite breakout season. Laidler is alot better than you are giving him credit for and Rohan can cause trouble on his day. Its going to be a close hard match

For the first half maybe... I can't envisage any other scenario than us handing them their arse on a plate when we blow them off the field in the second half. They've fallen for the old 'We'll play a tall forward line' trick and rushing in Tippett. That sh1t only works if you can control the midfield. I don't think they can do that for the whole game with their current outs.

We've lost to the Swans once, Cats once, Power once and North once. In all of those games there are real contributing factors as to why we were beaten, I'm not using an excuse but you could argue points until the cows come home. Our biggest loss, despite being crucified with injuries to our cream was 19 points. I was at the ANZ game and the Swans looked on top of the ground, but up until Cyril went down I still felt we would get them, we had them absolutely in tatters when we spread on the outside with speed.

We have dismantled Freo, Collingwood, GC twice and were relatively in control of an in form Adelaide at their fortress. There are not many teams capable of beating us unless they are at their absolute peak, Sydney got us at the ANZ when they were reaching for their mountain, we were stuck in a s**t storm without a paddle. Thing are a little different now, we are at home, in front of 70k mad Hawk supporters and we have close to our full list available ( Look out when Cyril, Lake and Sewell are up and running), not to mention historically we own them at MCG.

When I first looked at the fixture 2 weeks ago I was worried, the closer the game gets I am becoming more and more confident. If we can nullify either Buddy or Tippet and we break even with inside 50s we will win this and win it in commanding style.

May not be a bad idea to lay a few heavy hits on Tippet early in the game.

I'm not endorsing violence but if your going to go for a few weeks now is the round to go with Melbourne and the Dogs to follow.

.... ok i'm endorsing violence!

I can't believe more people don't endorse it!

(pity Lake is out as that choke hold would have been better value on a mental midget like Tippet - he might have taken 7 weeks off for stress leave after that)

They are due for a loss and we are due for a big win againts a top 4 side.
We haven't beaten much sides in the 8 or top 4 since the pies and GC... But both them sides are not top shelf sides!!!

Let's face it, some of the sides that $hitney have beaten in recent weeks have not been top shelf either.
So I wonder why they are being called world beaters???

We've lost to the Swans once, Cats once, Power once and North once. In all of those games there are real contributing factors as to why we were beaten, I'm not using an excuse but you could argue points until the cows come home. Our biggest loss, despite being crucified with injuries to our cream was 19 points. I was at the ANZ game and the Swans looked on top of the ground, but up until Cyril went down I still felt we would get them, we had them absolutely in tatters when we spread on the outside with speed.

We have dismantled Freo, Collingwood, GC twice and were relatively in control of an in form Adelaide at their fortress. There are not many teams capable of beating us unless they are at their absolute peak, Sydney got us at the ANZ when they were reaching for their mountain, we were stuck in a s**t storm without a paddle. Thing are a little different now, we are at home, in front of 70k mad Hawk supporters and we have close to our full list available ( Look out when Cyril, Lake and Sewell are up and running), not to mention historically we own them at MCG.

When I first looked at the fixture 2 weeks ago I was worried, the closer the game gets I am becoming more and more confident. If we can nullify either Buddy or Tippet and we break even with inside 50s we will win this and win it in commanding style.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Its interesting the difference in reporting from this year to last year.

This year the $wans are one win clear of 5th position on the ladder, about to play 3rd placed Hawks away from their home ground. In fact this is the first time all season that the $wans have played a top 6 team away from home. Yet all and sundry from the media are treating them like the 2nd coming of the Jesus' first 18. Malthouse said they were the best team he had ever seen, Bob Murphy said that they have played some of the best football..... EVER. etc. etc. etc.

Last year Hawthorn finished the season a win clear on top of the ladder from Geelong. Hawks won 3 more games than Freo in 3rd and 4 more games than $wans in 4th. Yet when we played the $wans in the Qualifying final at OUR home ground, after beating them the week prior at their own home ground, did the media give us any credit?

Then don't even get me started on the Grand Final week when for most of it I had completely forgotten who Fremantle were going to play in the Grand Final such was the manic coverage only matched by the 'manic pressure' that Freo had apparently conjured the week before.

It just makes you realise that the AFL's agenda is all powerful. They want the $wans to win. They even tell the media how to report the news. No doubt the threaten these 'professional' journo's with discreditation is they fail to write glowing pieces about the most expensive team every assembled.

But as always the Hawks will let their footy do the talking. We will smash these pretenders, nothing surer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the first half maybe... I can't envisage any other scenario than us handing them their arse on a plate when we blow them off the field in the second half. They've fallen for the old 'We'll play a tall forward line' trick and rushing in Tippett. That sh1t only works if you can control the midfield. I don't think they can do that for the whole game with their current outs.

I had pretty much the same view of the Carlton & North Melbourne games.

Personally it feels like an eternity since Hawthorn won a 50/50 game.

Let's face it, some of the sides that $hitney have beaten in recent weeks have not been top shelf either.

We would be 4 games clear if we had their draw.

Good luck Woody. Was watching him closely before he did his knee at the ground. If he only played 5 minutes he had at least the equal amount of possessions. Was exceptional at getting his hands on the ball.

(If we still had Judas we would have one hand on the cup by now)

Also this Sydney side has three changes from the one that annihilated Geelong. Hanneberry, Shaw & Derickxx out for Towers, Rohan & Pyke. It's a little weaker for sure and not at the MCG but any team with 19/22 players which can decimate Geelong deservce to be treated with caution.

Because they thrashed Geelong on the night that Geelong were stuffed before they even began the game.

I'd love to see Clarko try something different just to get in Longmire and the players' heads.
Throw Roughie at FB on Tippett at the start of the match with Shoey up forward or something like that.

I can't help but think that Clarko recognises our backline might be our weakness for this game - for the same reason Sydney have gone tall. So he's going to win it in the midfield, which will be helped by bringing in Woodward. The boy will be given some free reign probably, being his first game. Let's hope he can be the difference and we can choke the supply to the Sydney forwards. Has anyone ever had a best on in a first game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back