King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
Only one side has achieved the four peat in the history of the VFL/AFL.

Should the Hawks salute in 2016, they would have a great case to be considered the best team of all time.

How do you rate their chances?

Should the Hawks salute in 2016, they would have a great case to be considered the best team of all time.

20% as September 2016 is a long way away

Given all the equalization measures in place right now you could put forward a strong case that they already are the greatest team of all time.

But I'm an Essendon fan and they are hawthorn so they would have to be close to the worst premiers I have ever seen

If they do win 4 in a row and tbh they'll never get a better chance than next year, then yes they'll be outright GOAT. No arguments whatsoever.

No they won't. Collingwood's 4 straight and Melbourne's 5/6 would still be in the discussion, and probably ahead.

Not sure why everyone is so desperate to s**t on the past.

giphy.gif

If they win four in a row then they are the greatest of all time without a shadow of a date and should all get statues at the MCG.

Then they should be forced to play 6 players short every week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlikely, I do feel we had declined a little as a team this year, mainly more inconsistent. Our bad is quite beatable.

Next year our older players will decline further, young strong teams like Eagles will improve further, so I suspect someone will get over the 'old dogs' in the finals.

Newbold has come out and said there's no room in the cap for major recruiting, if so, no more improvement to be had from bringing in another experienced player, and skinny 18 y.o.'s in the draft aren't likely to push us to a fourth premiership.

Still a strong chance for a top 4 finish, so we will be in with a shot.

No they won't. Collingwood's 4 straight and Melbourne's 5/6 would still be in the discussion, and probably ahead.

Not sure why everyone is so desperate to s**t on the past.

OK, so go ahead and discuss the merits of Collingwood's 4 straight and Melbourne's 5/6...
Who were the players of the time?
Strengths/ weaknesses?
Foes?
Hardships they overcame?
Equalisation in those times?
Anything else you know...

Given all the equalization measures in place right now you could put forward a strong case that they already are the greatest team of all time.

But I'm an Essendon fan and they are hawthorn so they would have to be close to the worst premiers I have ever seen

Given all the equalisation measures in place the very fact they are being spoken about as a potential 4 in a row contender shows the measures aren't working.

Unlikely, I do feel we had declined a little as a team this year, mainly more inconsistent. Our bad is quite beatable.

Next year our older players will decline further, young strong teams like Eagles will improve further, so I suspect someone will get over the 'old dogs' in the finals.

Newbold has come out and said there's no room in the cap for major recruiting, if so, no more improvement to be had from bringing in another experienced player, and skinny 18 y.o.'s in the draft aren't likely to push us to a fourth premiership.

Still a strong chance for a top 4 finish, so we will be in with a shot.

I wonder how honest he's being. Why give that information to the public. Sometimes I think clubs say things to throw the media/ public off the scent.

Given all the equalisation measures in place the very fact they are being spoken about as a potential 4 in a row contender shows the measures aren't working.

Probably a valid point. 1/3rd of the hawks 22 on GF day were players recruited from other clubs.

Gunston
Hale
Gibson
Mcevoy
Lake
Frawley
Burgoyne

I wonder how honest he's being. Why give that information to the public. Sometimes I think clubs say things to throw the media/ public off the scent.

It will be very obvious in a few weeks if he's telling porky pies. So it would be a pretty dumb lie.

In a side with so many quality, senior players, it's easy to believe we are straining the salary cap.

I wouldnt count out of the realms of possibility but there's a full trade month and pre season to get through yet.

If they win four in a row then they are the greatest of all time without a shadow of a date and should all get statues at the MCG.

No. They won't be the outright greatest team. The Collingwood team from 1925-1930, was the greatest team of all time. The only team that could mount a case against that would be the Melbourne side in the 1950s. Both Collingwood and Melbourne in their prime eras were simply unstoppable.

Memoirs of a tragic prom night?;)

Seriously though....The AFL should bypass all the usual rigmarole, in automatically ascribing 'legends status' to the entire side. Which shall be forever remembered thereafter as the 'Immortals'....With the M.C.G divvied up into quadrants & sections named after each player.:D

September next year:

Burgoyne is 32.
Mitchell is 32.
Hodge is 32.
Lake is 34.
Lewis is 30.
Gibson is 32.
Roughead is 29.
Hale is 32 (if he doesn't retire).

Wouldn't be surprised to see a number of those guys slow down a bit or cop some injuries.

West Coast, Port Adelaide, GWS and Freo will be up there next year, I reckon. Sydney, Richmond and Adelaide may be too.

It will be bloody tough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back