Player Watch Hawthorn NGA 2021 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

He was quite good at the u16s champs for VM last year, I remember his name, great news that he is our NGA, he has also stepped up to play well for Eastern if I remember correctly.
If the AFL decides to inexplicably use equity in its application of rules, to the point where clubs can match NGA bids in exactly the same way that northern academy clubs can match bids, this is great news for us.

Until then, we know one thing...if he is actually any good, we will not have any option to get him. But if he ends up being an average plodder, we might.

#AFL #riggedgame #TheFixIsIn

Twomey just stated on the 'gettable' that he is not, and that other clubs are monitoring him.

How the * is he not?
That must be an error. If he isn't then surely we can get him included the same way North have for that other kid.

Attachments

• IMG_5167.png
    IMG_5167.png
    222.5 KB · Views: 239
Surely it's just a matter of inviting him to a few training sessions with our development coachs and the other NGAs?

Why it seems we don't cast as wide a net as possible in these circumstances I'll never know.

Like our disdain for any borderline father-sons, we seems to discount railroading our list mgmt strategy in any way possible.

Surely it's just a matter of inviting him to a few training sessions with our development coachs and the other NGAs?

Why it seems we don't cast as wide a net as possible in these circumstances I'll never know.

Like our disdain for any borderline father-sons, we seems to discount railroading our list mgmt strategy in any way possible.
It's probably because of how useless academies are now that you can only match a bid after 40 unless you're a northern academy.

Oversight or dishonest you be the judge on gettable Cal said not part of the hawks NGA academy which apparently is true. Inside trading weekly article slips the last bit in

“Jiath is the younger brother of Hawthorn defender Changkuoth Jiath, who joined the club via the Next Generation Academy. However, at this stage, his younger brother is not in the Hawks' NGA, with his application pending with the AFL.”

How convenient…

I know I have floated CJ as a tradeable option but after watching highlights of Tew he had to stay as I am keen to Cat B Tew. He’s already a better kick than CJ! The thought of both of them together as our version of the Daicos brothers is pretty enticing…especially as Finn can’t tag them!!!

Last edited:
W
I know I have floated CJ as a tradeable option but after watching highlights of Tew he had to stay as I am keen to Cat B Tew. He’s already a better kick than CJ! The thought of both of them together as our version of the Daicos brothers is pretty enticing…especially as Finn can’t tag them!!!
Where are his highlights?

Oversight or dishonest you be the judge on gettable Cal said not part of the hawks NGA academy which apparently is true. Inside trading weekly article slips the last bit in

“Jiath is the younger brother of Hawthorn defender Changkuoth Jiath, who joined the club via the Next Generation Academy. However, at this stage, his younger brother is not in the Hawks' NGA, with his application pending with the AFL.”

How convenient…
Does anyone know how long the application has been pending, I thought he was already in the academy in the last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been one of my greatest annoyances about CJ's career to hear people constantly say he's a poor kick. I know it's not your intention, but we always have to listen to commentary implying that he doesn't know what he's doing, where he's going, or what the rules are. I think if we look at the comparison below of career averages, we'll see that we struggle to be impartial given his background.

Screen Shot 2023-08-24 at 7.28.03 pm.png

Anyway, Tew Jiath!

Can't find any information about him, but he looks potentially taller than CJ. Can anybody help with that info?

It's been one of my greatest annoyances about CJ's career to hear people constantly say he's a poor kick. I know it's not your intention, but we always have to listen to commentary implying that he doesn't know what he's doing, where he's going, or what the rules are. I think if we look at the comparison below of career averages, we'll see that we struggle to be impartial given his background.

View attachment 1784688
Sorry not meaning to be argumentative as I love a good debate and if I am wrong you will see my virtual hand go up quickly, but comparing a 24 year old to a first year player seems odd. Also I never said weddle was a good kick I see them as similar as things stand. The main difference as of now is weddle I don’t see losing his confidence CJ clearly did. CJ has improved his kicking a lot since he came to us but not to a good standard it’s passable when he’s up and about or kicking long to a contest. Quoting DE as a meaningful stat makes my eyes glaze over similarly to anyone making the case for the gender pay gap. The measurement of that statistic is so unbelievably flawed to be useless.

Sorry not meaning to be argumentative as I love a good debate and if I am wrong you will see my virtual hand go up quickly, but comparing a 24 year old to a first year player seems odd. Also I never said weddle was a good kick I see them as similar as things stand. The main difference as of now is weddle I don’t see losing his confidence CJ clearly did. CJ has improved his kicking a lot since he came to us but not to a good standard it’s passable when he’s up and about or kicking long to a contest. Quoting DE as a meaningful stat makes my eyes glaze over similarly to anyone making the case for the gender pay gap. The measurement of that statistic is so unbelievably flawed to be useless.
Look, it isn't my intention to grill you about it. It's just that everybody saying his skills are poor is wrong. His kicking action is fine, he just plays quick, and makes mistakes.

The comparison with Weddle was to illustrate that we don't raise questions about his capacity to execute the basics. They are almost identical in every statistic.

Look, it isn't my intention to grill you about it. It's just that everybody saying his skills are poor is wrong. His kicking action is fine, he just plays quick, and makes mistakes.

The comparison with Weddle was to illustrate that we don't raise questions about his capacity to execute the basics. They are almost identical in every statistic.
That’s fine his kicking isn’t great he bombs or chip kicks which pads his DE but we can agree to disagree.
IMO he has taken a major step back this year and it’s becoming harder to see where he fits. He still might fit, but our development in youth is making that more difficult which is exactly what we want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back