Hawthorn - three peat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheney and Lowden to your mob
Sewell retired
But that's about it

Sewell was past it , Lowden couldn't get into your team and Cheney didn't get opportunities. Overall the players you brought in made you a whole lot stronger.

Great team but I'm concerned about the age of Mitchell and Hodge. An injury to one of these guys before the finals and Hawthorn's chances take a serious hit.

What an amazingly well drilled team, though. No other side comes close in the skills department.

What encouraged me was the way they cut it up in the IR game. Looked hungry among their peers

What will help is if the media keep it low key and the pressure off.

I think we can rely on them to do that. Hawthorn expectations dont excite them at all

I'd say that Hawthorn has a better chance of winning next season the premiership than Oakland has of winning a playoff game. ;)

Don't underestimate your own team. Top four finish 8 years in a row and despite a mini-rebuild the Cats still made the finals and finished 4th in 2014. They'll be up there again come finals in my opinion.
We missed the top 4 in 2012, if we make finals next year it would be 10/11 years. We will be up there come finals but we will be eliminated week 1 unless we versus richmond or essendon

A reasonable chance, a lot will depend on whether other teams catch up to Hawthorn's standard (would assume everyone watched the GF and will pick apart what Hawthorn did to make Sydney look like synchronized divers) and if Hawthorn drop a little. Heck they lost some luster this year and suffered more losses in the season, but came good in the finals.

If Hodge, Burgoyne and Mitchell are out for most of the season, Hawthorn will go from a potential top 4, to a 6-8 team.

We missed the top 4 in 2012, if we make finals next year it would be 10/11 years. We will be up there come finals but we will be eliminated week 1 unless we versus richmond or essendon

You went into this years finals with a poor ruck division. That was one of the problem. That's one thing that hurt Geelong which Hawthorn and North Melbourne exploited in the finals. Players like Clark and Stanley will help next year regarding that second ruck/CHF spot and this will strengthen that forward structure.

The immediate question is how do they stay ahead of the pack?
Where's the improvement come from?

Frawley and O'rourke add to the list no doubt, but I'd be expecting further improvement from Hill, Gunston, Anderson, Woodward, Duryea and Litherland.

Gunston is still only 23, and capable of an AA year. Hill will be expected to show even greater consistency and is turning into a pretty special player.
Anderson and Woodward would be expected to be pushing for starting midfield time while Duryea and Litherland will compete for a running half back/small defender role.

Our forward line spread is fantastic, and our backline which was already very good has been given a real shot in the arm with the addition of Frawley.

If all of the above happens, injury numbers are kept low and we get a full season out of Rioli we should be contending. Hell, we should be even with half a season from Cyril.

Last edited:
They are a very good chance to do it, Sydney their biggest threat.

I do think we are one of the few sides who can go toe to toe with them, we seem to match up well against them for a reason that I can't explain. The last 3 results:

North Melbourne 16.12 (108) def. Hawthorn 13.10 (88)
North Melbourne 15.13 (103) def. by Hawthorn 17.15 (117)
Hawthorn 14.15 (99) def. North Melbourne 13.18 (96)

The immediate question is how do they stay ahead of the pack?
Where's the improvement come from?

Frawley and O'rourke add to the list no doubt, but I'd be expecting further improvement from Hill, Gunston, Anderson, Woodward, Duryea and Litherland.

Gunston is still only 23, and capable of an AA year. Hill will be expected to show even greater consistency and is turning into a pretty special player.
Anderson and Woodward would be expected to be pushing for starting midfield time while Duryea and Litherland will compete for a running half back/small defender role.

Our forward line spread is fantastic, and our backline which was already very good has been given a real shot in the arm with the addition of Frawley.

If all of the above happens, injury numbers are kept low and we get a full season out of Rioli we should be contending.

Don't forget Whitecross. At his best he's in our best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say that Hawthorn has a better chance of winning next season the premiership than Oakland has of winning a playoff game. ;)
Seriously, Hawthorn Shmawthorn. You've had your run. Get ready for a period of mediocrity. The next AFL juggernaut (Carlton) will be taking off in 2015.

My short answer...Yes, They are every chance imo

Seriously, Hawthorn Shmawthorn. You've had your run. Get ready for a period of mediocrity. The next AFL juggernaut (Carlton) will be taking off in 2015.

:drunk:

That's fine, bro, doubt me, mock me, now. Just bookmark that post and come at me mid-2015. Don't say you hadn't been forewarned about it when you get frustrated all season, watching your Hawks lurch. Or, if you take my advice, heed my soothsaying, and get frustrated and sad NOW, knowingly, and spare yourself a season of personal grief.

That's fine, bro, doubt me, mock me, now. Just bookmark that post and come at me mid-2015. Don't say you hadn't been forewarned about it when you get frustrated all season, watching your Hawks lurch. Or, if you take my advice, heed my soothsaying, and get frustrated and sad NOW, knowingly, and spare yourself a season of personal grief.
I'm sure every Hawthorn supporter is shaking in their boots mate.

Sydney have some list problems, were unable to trade, lost Nick Malceski and have a few aging players that they have no replacement for. They'll still be ok, but it's hard to see where the improvement comes from.

I'm sure every Hawthorn supporter is shaking in their boots mate.
It'll be better that way....the scoffing and arrogance/expectation of another good year if not a three-peat. Better to witness all the grief and frustration ridden thru a whole season on a week to week basis. Enjoyable indeed.

Or

You could all heed my psychic abilities and just resign yourselves now, knowingly, spare yourselves the pain, I just want to help you guys out, because you're pretty nice people imo. So, take the year of barracking off, and go tend to your wives, girlfriends, families, take up a new hobby or enroll in a course, learn how to ride a horse, do some parachuting, etc etc.

It'll be better that way....the scoffing and arrogance/expectation of another good year if not a three-peat. Better to witness all the grief and frustration ridden thru a whole season on a week to week basis. Enjoyable indeed.

Or

You could all heed my psychic abilities and just resign yourselves now, knowingly, spare yourselves the pain, I just want to help you guys out, because you're pretty nice people imo. So, take the year of barracking off, and go tend to your wives, girlfriends, families, take up a new hobby or enroll in a course, learn how to ride a horse, do some parachuting, etc etc.
I'm not sure why you're telling me this. I don't even barrack for them.

I do think we are one of the few sides who can go toe to toe with them, we seem to match up well against them for a reason that I can't explain. The last 3 results:

North Melbourne 16.12 (108) def. Hawthorn 13.10 (88)
North Melbourne 15.13 (103) def. by Hawthorn 17.15 (117)
Hawthorn 14.15 (99) def. North Melbourne 13.18 (96)
Yeh for some reason (besides the 100+ point smashing in 2012) we have always struggled to beat the Kansas comfortably. Usually a tight struggle with us pulling away late in the 4th. However last year you were too good for us on the night.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the 2 teams play next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back