Preview Hawthorn v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't see Richmond kicking a big enough score. Their defence has been very settled this year but at the moment we are throwing different looks up forward and teams cannot cope. Roughead, Gunston, McEvoy, Hale, Schoenmakers, Rioli, Puopolo, Breust, Lewis, Hodge, Smith, Hartung, Hill and Suckling are all rolling through there and the nature of our setup forward of centre shifts every five minutes or so. It really is nuts to watch and impossible to plan for.

Richmond last six scores - 89, 71, 78, 95, 70, 97
Hawthorn - 173, 146, 115, 101, 114, 114.

Hawks by 45 points.

Can't see Richmond kicking a big enough score. Their defence has been very settled this year but at the moment we are throwing different looks up forward and teams cannot cope. Roughead, Gunston, McEvoy, Hale, Schoenmakers, Rioli, Puopolo, Breust, Lewis, Hodge, Smith, Hartung, Hill and Suckling are all rolling through there and the nature of our setup forward of centre shifts every five minutes or so. It really is nuts to watch and impossible to plan for.

Richmond last six scores - 89, 71, 78, 95, 70, 97
Hawthorn - 173, 146, 115, 101, 114, 114.

Hawks by 45 points.
Richmond isn't what they used to be in 2012 and 2013 when they defeated Hawthorn. Back in those days they could score heavily on their day. Nowadays though, they have become fairly defensive and focus more on restricting than attacking.

This doesn't work against Hawthorn. The Hawthorn forward line will find a way to score regardless of how good your defence is through their quality small forwards.

If Richmond don't change their approach for this game, it will look very grim for them IMO

Richmond isn't what they used to be in 2012 and 2013. Back in those days they could score heavily. Nowadays though, they have become fairly defensive and focus more on restricting than attacking.

This doesn't work against Hawthorn. The Hawthorn forward line will find a way to score regardless of how good your defence is through their quality small forwards.

If Richmond don't change their approach for this game, it will look very grim for them IMO

Pretty much this, Richmond are a good side but they will need to kick 15 goals or so to win Friday night.

Pretty much this, Richmond are a good side but they will need to kick 15 goals or so to win Friday night.
They have only kicked 100+ 3 times - against Carlton, Collingwood and Brisbane. All are not very great teams, so I highly doubt they will kick 100+ against Hawthorn. On the flip side, Hawthorn have kicked 100+ against the two best defensive sides in the last two weeks, so what chance does Richmond 's defence have to restrict Hawthorn 's attack to under 100+? Quality small forwards are exactly what cuts our defence up, and Hawthorn have like three.

Can't see this being below a 40 point margin at the moment, unless Richmond prove today that they can attack against a good side like Fremantle

Richmond to Commemorate Back-to-Back Against Hawthorn
Chunky McMuffin

In what has become a trend this year, Richmond will use Friday night's blockbuster against the reigning premiers to celebrate their famous back-to-back victories against Hawthorn in the 2012 and 2013 home and away seasons. Richmond blew the more fancied Hawks off the park on both occasions, belting them by 62 and 41 points respectively. Club legends will attend a special function commemorating the achievement, while the MCG will serve food and drink at genuine 2012-13 prices.

"It's fantastic to be a part of such a wonderful occasion," said spearhead Jack Riewoldt. "I mean, what else have we got?"

Read more at:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/2235353/dancing-monkeys-o.gif

Am I missing something shouldn't Gibbo just get a 2nd fine ?

"AFL", "consistency" and "logic" aren't words you often hear in proximity to each other.

Are you serious?
Cotchin does it every week but we don't hear boo from the media.
Cotchin uses an open hand when he does it, very smart
Gibson needs a kick up the backside for what he did last night, and hopefully only gets a fine, but boy is it stupid!

Gibbo will get a fine giving him and Mitch two.
Anonther fine means a week suspension.
Not good.
So we have agreed on the changes. Doc back via VFL.
Burgoyne looks v tired to me. Might be next rested.

When was Mitch's other one? I remember the kneeing, what was the other?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbo will get a fine giving him and Mitch two.
Anonther fine means a week suspension.
Not good.
So we have agreed on the changes. Doc back via VFL.
Burgoyne looks v tired to me. Might be next rested.
What happens after they get suspended for another minor incident? Three strikes start again?

Tigers aren't in our class.

Maybe not, but Richmond are a bigger threat to Hawthorn right now then Sydney and Fremantle that's for sure.

This won't be a walk in the park like a lot of people are suggesting. If Richmond come to play this will be a good game of footy and a good test for us.

In all honesty though, I hope we don't suffer due to the lack of intensity in last night's game.

If we put the Tigers away we more or less lock up top 4.

Indeed. The only thing that one can take from last night is that Carlton was an absolute embarrassment to the game.

It is always interesting catching glimpses of Clarko in the coaches box. Even when belting a side, you can see him seething when lazy mistakes are made. The fire was lit earlier in the season after some wasted losses.

I think this team learns better than anyone else. They'll know a finals-hungry Tigers side will be an immeasurably tougher opponent than a spineless Carlton. I will take any kind of win here.

Last edited:
Maybe not, but Richmond are a bigger threat to Hawthorn right now then Sydney and Fremantle that's for sure.

This won't be a walk in the park like a lot of people are suggesting. If Richmond come to play this will be a good game of footy and a good test for us.
Let's just see what happens this afternoon before we pass judgement on the Tigers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back