FTA-TV How I Met Your Mother Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We probably don't want to see Marshall's Dad die either, but it happends!

As I said, I agree, I would have preferred if they had lived happily ever after, or left it for you to make your own decision on the matter. But, that's life!
They are completely different.

It's like the writers decision to make the gang slowly drift apart as the years went by. It's sad but I thought it was a really nice touch. It's reality but it's refreshing to see it.

However this is still a show. We want to see a happy ending, knowing that Ted, beyond all odds, defied the cruel reality that life can be.

Him getting with Robin does not achieve this and ends the show on a sour note for most.

I think Ted deserved happiness

He raised the kids on his own after Tracy died, no easy feat. He mourned for 6 years whilst raising them and now is the time to put himself first

I'm starting to come around to the ending after being a bit dumbfounded last night
Haha I'm the opposite.

It just makes it hard to think about rewatching this whole show when you know he's just gonna go full circle and probably * up his relationship with Robin for a 4th (?) time.

While I did not dislike the mother I wasn't a huge fan either, but I wanted Ted to have the happy ending with her. Fact of the matter is they shot themselves in the foot just like they did with Victoria who Ted had the best chemistry with IMO as the show went longer then expected and because they decided and filmed the ending around season 2. This ending would have been easier to swallow if they gave us more time with the mother. I would have preferred about 2 seasons ago they introduced the mother and despite the title of the show could have shown more of their life together. I mean the last 3 years have been more about Robin and Barney whilst constantly reminding us that Ted was still in love with her much to our annoyance and Robin only realising at the last minute that Ted is a better guy then Barney, not that she loved him.

They really screwed the Ted character over. The woman that we were told would be perfect for him and love him the way Robin does not dies and then he goes back to Robin, who finds him convenient.

Last edited:
They are completely different.

It's like the writers decision to make the gang slowly drift apart as the years went by. It's sad but I thought it was a really nice touch. It's reality but it's refreshing to see it.

However this is still a show. We want to see a happy ending, knowing that Ted, beyond all odds, defied the cruel reality that life can be.

Him getting with Robin does not achieve this and ends the show on a sour note for most.

That's a fair point, and I agree to an extent. As I said, my preferred ending would have been that it ended where the video you posted above does.
But where we differ is that, through Radnor's acting, we get the feel that Ted was grateful that he had what he had, despite his obvious sadness at her dying. There is never any point in the finale where he is hating life because the mother is dead. Obviously, it doesn't make him happy, but the feel I got in the final scence was the he appreciated what he had when he had it. It was a happy ending, but it got cut short.

But, you know what? Sometimes in life you can let people go, and get over them. But, that may not last forever, they may find a way back in.

Not over and over again. :p

That being said, can understand if some people liked the ending. Can understand those more that hated it.

Think the writers claiming a 'realistic ending' is a bit of a copout, there was a lot of unrealistic scenarios that occurred over the course of the show. The latter point ruined it for me though.

That's a fair point, and I agree to an extent. As I said, my preferred ending would have been that it ended where the video you posted above does.
But where we differ is that, through Radnor's acting, we get the feel that Ted was grateful that he had what he had, despite his obvious sadness at her dying. There is never any point in the finale where he is hating life because the mother is dead. Obviously, it doesn't make him happy, but the feel I got in the final scence was the he appreciated what he had when he had it. It was a happy ending, but it got cut short.
Oh yeah, I don't agree with others and say that Ted just passed off the Mother.

With the kids dialogue, and the moment of her on the bed, I understood the sense that he had grieved for her for 6 years.

I can get why people can perceive that as the writers just... disregarding the Mother completely, which I agree, because they essentially did for Robin (at the end), intentionally or not.

The thing that irks me, as I've said before, is that the whole season was not based on Robin and Barney's wedding, but based on Ted getting over Robin. For 15+ episodes we endured this, knowing, that at the end. It would all just end up leading to his "soul mate" which is the Mother. And yeah, you could argue, that's exactly what they did, but the end with him getting back with Robin was just completely, and utterly pointless.

Oh yeah, I don't agree with others and say that Ted just passed off the Mother.

With the kids dialogue, and the moment of her on the bed, I understood the sense that he had grieved for her for 6 years.

I can get why people can perceive that as the writers just... disregarding the Mother completely, which I agree, because they essentially did for Robin (at the end), intentionally or not.

The thing that irks me, as I've said before, is that the whole season was not based on Robin and Barney's wedding, but based on Ted getting over Robin. For 15+ episodes we endured this, knowing, that at the end. It would all just end up leading to his "soul mate" which is the Mother. And yeah, you could argue, that's exactly what they did, but the end with him getting back with Robin was just completely, and utterly pointless.

I think what irked me the most was that we didn't get much time with the Mother, as many have said. Now, I liked the premise of the final season taking place over a weekend, I thought it worked well.
I would have liked it if the mother was introduced earlier in these last two episodes and we saw them spend some time together, and then they could bring on all of the 'she died' and what not.
Edit: or as other have said, 1 season where they started dating and fell in love an stuff would have been good as well.

Tracy was great. One of my favorite characters.

Robyn will stuff up with Ted again, the woman is a minefield. As soon as she gets what she wants she changes the situation so that it breaks.

The story wrapped up perfectly for the context of the series, it really was the story of Ted and Robyn, I still feel like the mother dying stole the win for Ted.

Barney wasn't himself when he was with Robyn, she manged to shake him loose by flapping all over the world. The Barney character finally loving unconditionally was a great moment. I teared up a bit but I could see that speech coming.

She's a smoking hot well-known network news anchor and he's a widowed father of two, soooooo...
Smoking hot?

Not with that new hairstyle at the end.... wtf was up with that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She's a smoking hot well-known network news anchor and he's a widowed father of two, soooooo...
She is an emotional wrecking ball who couldn't find anyone other than a womanising STI factory (I seriously thought Barney was going to say the 31st woman gave him HIV and it all ended for him that way) and a father of two she had rejected years before in one of the biggest cities in the world.

She was damaged goods.

She is an emotional wrecking ball who couldn't find anyone other than a womanising STI factory (I seriously thought Barney was going to say the 31st woman gave him HIV and it all ended for him that way) and a father of two she had rejected years before in one of the biggest cities in the world.

She was damaged goods.

I've been reading post mortems all over the net today and this is the first time I've seen this angle. Really good.

Also, you're such a girl :p

I for the life of me just cant work out how they decided to do this. Why they decided to this. What went through their heads when they decided to go with it. Yes 9 years ago it may have been a good idea but they have spent 9 years developing characters, making us fall in love with certain aspects and then going COMPLETELY against EVERY SINGLE THING people loved about they show

They set the show up PERFECTLY for one of the best finales on television. Meet the mother and end it there, with all the future flashbacks already been shown. JUST IMAGINE how good it would have been. Everyone loved the scenes with the mother, we got to enjoy Barney and robin, we absolutely loved the relationship between ted and the mother and we loved the 6 of them as a gang. And they just went against it because of some sick obsession theyve had for 9 years, some sick obsession that theyve shoved down our throats for 9 years and weve tried to resist. Surely they realised public opinion on ted and robin, as well as ted and the mother. its their responsibility to know it. How can they just play us like that

The thing that sickens me the most is how weve been played all f*cking series long. Weve been led to believe theyre not right for each other and Barney and Robin have finally matured. Weve seen all of season 9 how good the mother and ted are together when the final lesson learnt is that hes just another hiccup on his road to Robin. The last 4 seasons weve just learnt how depressed his life was and how hed given up hope on ever being happy because all he wanted was to find that special someone but the reality is she was so irrelevant in the whole story. His ultimate happiness didnt even come from the mother, the whole point of the show. They just abonded everything

Weve watched the WHOLE OF SEASON 9 building up to a wedding, between 2 characters who have a relationship weve come to love, only for them to show no wedding and for it to be completely irrelevant? It ended 10 minutes into the finale. Sorry but thats rubbish. The whole of the last episode should have been around that wedding, showing the future moments and ending with Ted meeting the mom

And the thing that doesnt sit rifght with me is that weve waited 9 years for ted to meet the one and get married, only for them to not actually get married for ages? Sorry but that doesnt sit right with me

Its beggars belief how they developed characters and relationships for 9 years and then betrayed every single one of them in 3 minutes of sheer madness because they thought it would be okay to do it 9 years ago. Its just inexcusable, how are these the guys entrusted with writing and ending one of the most anticipated finale in tv

Just imagine, just imagine the alternative ending above is how it ended, the happy ever after, the 6 of them being a gang, fufilling all their life dreams. Im sorry but furious doesnt even begin to describe how I feel. Were owed an explanation and apology from Bays and Carter. This is just one sick joke

I just watched the last 5 episodes in a row as I'd lost interest there towards the end and decided to hold off. Episode 19 was rubbish but then I thought they did a great job wrapping it all up.

It really didn't need that final twist but I see their want to bring it full circle for nostalgia sake. It just didn't really work.

But for the standards it had slipped to, those last 4 episodes had some really great moments to wrap it up.

. . . . . . This is just one sick joke

Chill. Carter & Bays finished it how they wanted to. It's no joke.

My guess is that their main message from it is some things never change. Robin was never truly sure about Barney. Barney only questionably believed in himself. Robin always still had that thought that Ted might have been the one.

The cheap crinkle was the mother dying to facilitate Ted and Robin reuniting years later and I agree my preference would have been the series ending about 5 minutes earlier too. But it doesn't ruin the series and to me all this is just the social media outrage of who screams loudest thinks they're winning.

Last edited:
The show was not called "How i married your mother"

And his ultimate happiness was Robin?

I think he looked pretty happy with Tracy and she gave him 2 kids. Thats the ultimate happiness. Its not like Tracy dies and he was in Robin's arms 6 months later... it was 6 years!

I have to say i disagree with Big Jim

36 hours later and i'm still baffled.
I can sum up the shows entire 9 season run and it's conclusion in this gif.....

Denver-Bronco-blown-td.gif

36 hours later and i'm still baffled.
I can sum up the shows entire 9 season run and it's conclusion in this gif.....

Denver-Bronco-blown-td.gif

As much as I agree with 'dropping the ball right at the end', only one NFL gif can truly sum it up.

untitled-18xzr84.gif

The buttfumble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back