Analysis How many picks will your team take to the 2022 draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Constable is still uncontracted so he’d be the one to go, you’d think, even if they rerookie him.
They have offered him a 1 year contract

The Suns have offered one-year contracts to Constable, Faulkhead, category B rookie Oea and Tsitas and will head to the draft with three senior list spots open, one of which will be filled by a top-line draft prospect. The fact their second pick isn’t until 45, which will improve once opposition clubs match bids on father-son players, leaves some unknown about what Gold Coast will do at the national draft. Levi Casboult is among the rookies who could be upgraded.

When do clubs start taking delisted players. And how do they take them?
DELISTED free agents will have two windows and a total of 12 days to move ahead of the NAB AFL Draft if they can secure a contract from a new club.

The first delisted free agency period runs for seven days from November 3-9.

That window is followed by a deadline on November 10 for players to retire and out-of-contract players to nominate for the draft, with a second window for delisted free agents then running from November 11-15.

When’s the deadline to delist ahead of the draft?
Not expert on all those machinations but I do expect that all out of contracts Sun players who were offered 1 year contract (Constable, Tsitas, Faulkhead, Oea) and are expected to end up on rookie list (all were on rookie list already except Constable, Oea was cat B) will have to nominate for draft with deadline Nov 10.

Not sure if out-of-contract players have to be de-listed first. Or is it only the case of players who were on senior list who have to nominate for draft?

Last edited:
Rory Thompson’s retirement frees up the third senior spot for Gold Coast.

Hawthorn
Starting list size: 36
Out: 10 (McEvoy, Shiels retired, Gunston, Mitchell, O'Meara trade, Downie, Hartigan, Howe, Phillips, Mitchell delisted)
In: 4 (Amon FA, Meek, Stephens traded, Greene DFA)
Current senior list: 30 players
Current rookies: 5 Cat A (Blanck, Bramble, Long, Newcombe, Ramsden) + 1 Cat B (O'Hara) + will redraft Mitchell
Live picks: 7 (6, 24, 41, 48, 50, 52, 65) but can only take six, might do a trade for points.

Our out totals 12
Jackson Callow (del)
Connor Downie (del)
Jack Gunston (trd)
Kyle Hartigan (del)
Daniel Howe (del)
Ben McEvoy (ret)
Seamus Mitchell* (del)
Tom Mitchell (trd)
Jaeger O'Meara (trd)
Tom Phillips (del)
Jack Saunders (del)
Liam Shiels (ret)

You missed Saunders & Callow ( taken from
AFL Retirements, Delistings, Trades - AFL.com.au )

Can take 7picks( or is it 8picks, 12 -4) to draft

Callow and Saunders were on the rookie list.
Aaa right, so we have 6 senior spots and 2 rookie list spots( 1 will go to Seamus Mitchell).

So can only take 6 picks to draft. Well hoping we do the 50,52,65 deal for pick 36, gives Lions extra 100 points & then swap 48 for GWS 57 & 61.
Will give us 6,24,36,41,57,61 - 6 picks.

So Carlton haven't delisted Ed Curnow to move him to the Rookie List, seems we will only take 3 picks in the ND.
Surely we can adjust the ratio of main list to rookie list for the National draft, then move Ed or someone else to the rookie list between ND and rookie draft as per AFL rules, should that be the desired mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane
Starting list size: 38
Out: 7 (Robinson retired, McStay FA, TBerry traded, Cockatoo, Lester, McFadyen, ESmith delisted)
In: 2 (Dunkley, Gunston trade)
Current senior list: 33 players
Current rookies: 3 Cat A (Lane, Mathieson, Michael) + 2 Cat B (Madden, McDowell-White) plus will redraft Cockatoo and Lester
Live picks: 5 (34, 35, 36, 38, 55) but probably end up with the minimum three, two of which will be matching bids on Ashcroft and Fletcher.

I think Madden is going to need to be moved off the category B rookie list, so we'll essentially have three open spots to be utilised in the ND/RD, with one category B rookie spot free (which includes Qld zone players).

Ashcroft and Fletcher will be two, with the third spot remaining open for another draftee or McKenna.

With the category B rookie spot, we might be hoping someone like a Shadeau Brain gets through the ND or something.

Aaa right, so we have 6 senior spots and 2 rookie list spots( 1 will go to Seamus Mitchell).

So can only take 6 picks to draft. Well hoping we do the 50,52,65 deal for pick 36, gives Lions extra 100 points & then swap 48 for GWS 57 & 61.
Will give us 6,24,36,41,57,61 - 6 picks.
Why 48 for 57 and 61? We take 4-5 ND plus a rookie and leave 1-2 spots for SSP I would think.

Surely we can adjust the ratio of main list to rookie list for the National draft, then move Ed or someone else to the rookie list between ND and rookie draft as per AFL rules, should that be the desired mix.
That's not the AFL rules.
You can move them from the Rookie List to the Senior List between the ND & PSD/RD, not the other way.

We can still take 4 picks in the ND, but it will cost us $80k odd worth of salary cap space (compared to if we had have cut and rookied Ed), so I seriously doubt we do.

That's not the AFL rules.
You can move them from the Rookie List to the Senior List between the ND & PSD/RD, not the other way.

We can still take 4 picks in the ND, but it will cost us $80k odd worth of salary cap space (compared to if we had have cut and rookied Ed), so I seriously doubt we do.
You can delist a contracted player and redraft them in the rookie draft, and you can redraft an out of contract player (who is considered an delisted free agent at that point) in the rookie draft. We have done both in recent years. And we will do it again this year.

Rookie upgrades are not read out on draft night, but they count as a draft pick at the national draft, and the AFL does release a list of players who are upgraded. Nor is the pick used to upgrade rookie players listed for clubs at the draft.

Brisbane can't take 5 picks to the draft, and say "hey, we're going to use our 5th pick to upgrade a rookie listed player, after we've used that pick to help match points on the Ashcroft and Fletcher bids".

You can delist a contracted player and redraft them in the rookie draft, and you can redraft an out of contract player (who is considered an delisted free agent at that point) in the rookie draft. We have done both in recent years. And we will do it again this year.

Rookie upgrades are not read out on draft night, but they count as a draft pick at the national draft, and the AFL does release a list of players who are upgraded. Nor is the pick used to upgrade rookie players listed for clubs at the draft.

Brisbane can't take 5 picks to the draft, and say "hey, we're going to use our 5th pick to upgrade a rookie listed player, after we've used that pick to help match points on the Ashcroft and Fletcher bids".
1. Yes, but you needed to delist them by last Thursday (10th) . You can't cut them after the ND, and then pick them in the Rookie Draft.
2. Actually the picks that clubs will upgrade rookies with are still listed as available picks at the ND. Check Carlton having 3 available picks last year:
3. This bit is wrong. Players are upgraded from the rookie list to the senior list after the ND. You still have the list spot (and therefore any points for the pick) available pre the upgrading that now happens on the Tuesday night after the National Draft is completed between 10pm and 11pm

Edit: Oops I overlooked/didn't account for teams that run a full Senior List of 38. Does anyone do that anymore? But clubs going with 36 or 7 will keep the extra picks/points until they pass in the National Draft.

Last edited:
It seems Ed Curnow has been cut (to be rookied) without announcement, so Carlton will take 4 picks in the National Draft.
Thanks. I started trying to cross reference the final draft order against my calculations of how many picks each team had, but I only got as far as Carlton before I gave up. I couldn’t work out how they still had four picks since they had to upgrade Owies.

Curnow being quietly delisted would explain it.

Thanks. I started trying to cross reference the final draft order against my calculations of how many picks each team had, but I only got as far as Carlton before I gave up. I couldn’t work out how they still had four picks since they had to upgrade Owies.

Curnow being quietly delisted would explain it.
It's a bit strange that it wasn't announced at all, and even last week when the AFL listed all list changes (including players to be rookied), Ed wasn't there.

It's a bit strange that it wasn't announced at all, and even last week when the AFL listed all list changes (including players to be rookied), Ed wasn't there.

Just tweeted at Cal Twomey to see if he can help, fingers crossed.

A140E79B-10A5-4F1B-9047-3222A8F29C29.jpeg

Really?
Where did you see it?
Wasn't on Carlton's site, hasn't been posted on our board prior to the list of players nominated for the draft.
Twitter. Probably by Twomey or one of the afl.com writers I follow.

I distinctly remember seeing it, and wondered why Carlton fans had no idea this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back