Rumour 2022 Draft Rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Consider posting your hypothetical Pick swaps, or opinions on what's fair, in the linked thread instead! That way, you can discuss in the proper space and this thread can remain more on topic

rumour (n)​

1. information, often a mixture of truth and untruth, passed around verbally
  2. gossip or hearsay

Last edited by a moderator:
If it makes a difference, the Dogs were red hot on Pickett too before he bolted in that draft. Still, jury is out on our recruiters post-Dalrymple. 1st round picks have been consistently good, but not as many hits in the later rounds like Dal had (Dale and Daniel in the 40s, JJ rookie, etc.)
Yeah, not saying they’re bad, just it’s juries out and they haven’t had a sample size of decent live draft picks. I’d like Tsatas more if Dalrymple took him in the 40’s!!

Correct. Making that pick was probably as easy as the Darcy and JUH matches. Dogs recruiters had a cruisy run between 18 and 21. Can make a case Buss was pick 13 of a clear top 13 given no one else was invited to the draft.
Given our struggles to find an intercept marking defender (we took Tim O'Brien as a FA FFS) I'm really glad we didn't trade up for anyone else.

If we really want to bring in a 'game-breaker' we can always pray that George makes it to our first pick tonight. We've apparently put a bit of work into Leary as a small forward in our 3rd pick range.

Correct. Making that pick was probably as easy as the Darcy and JUH matches. Dogs recruiters had a cruisy run between 18 and 21. Can make a case Buss was pick 13 of a clear top 13 given no one else was invited to the draft.
a case also of best available and key need for them. Pick landed nicely in the end, esp when I had Geelong going Busslinger.

They've built a nice spine though.
JUH - Naughton - English - Darcy - Busslinger.

Given our struggles to find an intercept marking defender (we took Tim O'Brien as a FA FFS) I'm really glad we didn't trade up for anyone else.

If we really want to bring in a 'game-breaker' we can always pray that George makes it to our first pick tonight. We've apparently put a bit of work into Leary as a small forward in our 3rd pick range.
Hayes is an option tonight if you want more depth in KP, but im going George if im the dogs.
risk is the giants have lost the one they wanted and he's probably the best option after Sheezel in the draft. if they keep their pick, should be one they look at.

Not sure if this counts as a rumour, but Mark McKenzie said we'd take two picks tonight, 'maybe' 3.

I assume the maybe pertains to Cooper Vickery and if or when a bid is placed on him.

Not sure if this counts as a rumour, but Mark McKenzie said we'd take two picks tonight, 'maybe' 3.

I assume the maybe pertains to Cooper Vickery and if or when a bid is placed on him.
If Vickery gets bid on before our 2nd pick at 47 but after 40, we'll be taking two. 36+Vickery
If Vickery gets bid on before 40 and we can't match, we'll take 36+47.
If Vickery isn't bid on by 47 we take another pick. 36+47+Vickery.

That's what I imagine the scenarios on the board are.

suspect with the move for Weddle, hawks are done trading out of next year.
Dogs F2 helps with F/S bid
got your 2x top 20 picks this year. not sure there's much more value in trading in, then having to find the bid points next year

If Vickery gets bid on before our 2nd pick at 47 but after 40, we'll be taking two. 36+Vickery
If Vickery gets bid on before 40 and we can't match, we'll take 36+47.
If Vickery isn't bid on by 47 we take another pick. 36+47+Vickery.

That's what I imagine the scenarios on the board are.

The third option is the interesting one. We'd need to trade picks back in just to match a bid, correct? It's possible we let him go through to the keeper.

The third option is the interesting one. We'd need to trade picks back in just to match a bid, correct? It's possible we let him go through to the keeper.
We would, but it's possible we just let another club take him if he doesn't get to the rookie draft. I think Freo are a quiet chance to bid on him late, and I can see us letting him go if we like who's still on the board. We've got some later picks that come up quick after people start passing and matching other bids.

We would, but it's possible we just let another club take him if he doesn't get to the rookie draft. I think Freo are a quiet chance to bid on him late, and I can see us letting him go if we like who's still on the board. We've got some later picks that come up quick after people start passing and matching other bids.

We had rumoured interest in Harvey Gallagher who is more dynamic and capable of playing all areas of the ground. I'd personally prefer him to Vickery but we'll see how it plays out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost as bad as trading a future 1st for stocker

People critiquing future trades are so short sighted
I wouldn't say that. You've traded a heavy price, which some people don't agree with, and we're saying Weddle needs to be bloody good to justify it.

I wouldn't say that. You've traded a heavy price, which some people don't agree with, and we're saying Weddle needs to be bloody good to justify it.
Any trade worth doing needs to be justified by the player being worth it

In terms of heavy price, in a shallow draft with a top father/son next year and a second 2nd rounder already being owned, its not as heavy as portrayed by some

We have needed this type of aggressiveness for awhile now, glad to see something actually being done

Hayes is an option tonight if you want more depth in KP, but im going George if im the dogs.
risk is the giants have lost the one they wanted and he's probably the best option after Sheezel in the draft. if they keep their pick, should be one they look at.
I still hope we rookie someone like Kyle Marshall as a project tall.
Buss is an interceptor and we still would look at a proper lockdown KPF as Keath/Bruce/Jones aren't long term options, Darcy projects more as a forward/ruck and that just leaves Gardner.

I really want us to take George or Clarke with our 2nd rounder

I still hope we rookie someone like Kyle Marshall as a project tall.
Buss is an interceptor and we still would look at a proper lockdown KPF as Keath/Bruce/Jones aren't long term options, Darcy projects more as a forward/ruck and that just leaves Gardner.

I really want us to take George or Clarke with our 2nd rounder
I quite like what I saw of young Sam as a defender who can also build into the ruck.
I think one of those two would be ideal though. Esp George - who Im keen on as well, but see the need for us to go mid.

maybe go Clarke and don't bid on Davey....he's more a mid ;)

Almost as bad as trading a future 1st for stocker

People critiquing future trades are so short sighted
It’s unfair to say it’s bad but it’s fair to highlight the level of risk involved.

The Hawks are likely giving up a top 25 pick (even if wasn’t to be used straight up) and pick 27 to get pick 18.

It’s hard not to say that’s lopsided and requires rating a player significantly above the guy who was going to be there at 27. That can be true, but you’re then relying on your own ratings out performing the work of 17 other club choices who combined minds to go other ways.

Weddle does fit that criteria on a lot of draft ratings, but as a 3rd tall defender in the Hawks most stocked part of the ground it’s a strong move.

I’m still surprised it wasn’t Allan. I thought when it happened that it was an aggressive move you’d make for a guy with rare tools and a very high ceiling like Allan has.

It’s unfair to say it’s bad but it’s fair to highlight the level of risk involved.

The Hawks are likely giving up a top 25 pick (even if wasn’t to be used straight up) and pick 27 to get pick 18.

It’s hard not to say that’s lopsided and requires rating a player significantly above the guy who was going to be there at 27. That can be true, but you’re then relying on your own ratings out performing the work of 17 other club choices who combined minds to go other ways.

Weddle does fit that criteria on a lot of draft ratings, but as a 3rd tall defender in the Hawks most stocked part of the ground it’s a strong move.

I’m still surprised it wasn’t Allan. I thought when it happened that it was an aggressive move you’d make for a guy with rare tools and a very high ceiling like Allan has.
This is fair, but I think we have reason to rate Weddle as highly as we did.

First off, we effectively traded for pick 14 in the open draft. Michelanney, Rowston, Fletcher, and Ashcroft were never available to us.

Sam Mitchell and our list managers have said they're going to play him in the midfield, and it seems like we internally rated him a top 10 talent. He won't be playing in the backline for us unless we have a few injuries. I'm excited about the kid and happy to pay the price for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back