How much longer can Priddis be debated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Third quarter, around the time when Robbie Gray starts getting heavily involved

First quarter where they pretty much choked up a granny to the poo and wee

The Peter bell trade and retrade

The Trent croad same same

2006 where despite beating us twice so obviously being the better team - they didnt get any silverware

First quarter where they pretty much choked up a granny to the poo and wee

The Peter bell trade and retrade

The Trent croad same same

2006 where despite beating us twice so obviously being the better team - they didnt get any silverware

Not sure if serious:rolleyes:

Still surprised this thread is chugging along at the same rate. Would have thought those on each side would be sick of banging their head against the wall after almost 10,000 posts which go around in circles, with nobody changing their mind.

I changed my mind - I used to think he was all that - I don't any more

I vividly remember turning to my housemate in about 2008 and saying Priddis is good but it pisses me off the way he kicks to the other team all the time. But I only really noticed how detrimental to the team he is in the last couple of of seasons.

The power

THE POWER
3723130_o.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha! I thought he was all that back in like 2010 when my mate used to bang on over and over again about how s**t he was.
Mine hasn't changed. IMO, he is a good role player, but lacks the versatility and impact to be an elite player. Very sad that he is still our best mid, what he lacks in impact he makes up for with consistency and weight of possessions.

Mine hasn't changed. IMO, he is a good role player, but lacks the versatility and impact to be an elite player. Very sad that he is still our best mid, what he lacks in impact he makes up for with consistency and weight of possessions.

Better then Shuey? Come on sir, get off the pepsi.

*, I hate this thread. That I keep reading it says something disturbing about me, and that I am going to post in it again is worse.
I do not usually post here as I consider myself a Priddis agnostic.

However, in response to something that keeps coming up. Variously referred to as evidence that other teams do not rate Priddis, such as Lyons sfellowing when asked if he would tag him, and doubts about the correctness of Simpson saying the Hawks put a lot of time into Priddis on the basis that it didn't look like it when they played. Also the comment, he must be crap, they do not tag him argument in general.

There exists an equally valid explanation for all those things rarely mentioned. Priddis is ordinary when in space, he is not a spread and carry player. If any aspect of his game is elite, it is when he is standing at the fall of the ball in congestion. That is, when he is standing with at least 1, and usually 2 or 3 opposition players in touching distance.

I think Lyon sfellowed at the suggestion he would send someone to tag Priddis, when he would basically have to push Freo players out the way just to get to him (in those situations he is at his best).

The time put into Priddis is in working out his positioning, having their inside mids cut his access to the ball, and trying to make sure he isnt first hands on, stopping him getting the ball out when he is. Stopping him laying his 'turtle tackles', when he isnt first hands on. That is, in having their inside mids beat him.
The more a player is a pure inside mid, the less point there is in tagging them. Why tag a player that is doing there work shoulder to shoulder with your inside mids already?

I have no doubt that the Hawks do put a lot of work into Priddis, and that the posters here cannot tell they have done so is why he is rated by the coaches.

Whatever his overall standing in the game and the value of his contribution to the Eagles midfield, coaches do not just let opposition players get the ball in the hope they give it back with poor disposal. Have no doubt they are trying really hard to stop him getting the ball in the first place.

Well with priddis they dont actually have to hope do they?

Its only gambling if you dont know what the result will be.
The sort of comment that is the reason I hate this thread. His disposal efficiency compares well to players that play the same sort of role he does. Priddis disposal gets talked down constantly because it is not great, and as a consequence becomes under rated, like Hurn, who has great disposal gets talked up, and has become over rated.

The sort of comment that is the reason I hate this thread. His disposal efficiency compares well to players that play the same sort of role he does. Priddis disposal gets talked down constantly because it is not great, and as a consequence becomes under rated, like Hurn, who has great disposal gets talked up, and has become over rated.

The disposal efficiency argument has been done to death.

You can quote and compare his DE% to anyone you like and it won't mean a thing. We watch the games. We know that when JK has put 10m on his opponent and Priddis decides to helicopter a skyball on his head rather then kick it to his advantage, doesn't mark down his DE. Nor do handballs to teammates who already have an opponent on them and are subsequently tackled, as well as handballs to teammates feet.

It is a flawed stat and shouldn't be used to prove a point.

Matt's 65% DE puts him ahead of Josh Kennedy (64%), Cotchin (63%) and Dangerfield (61%) <---- Yet they are all much better kicks.

Last edited:

You can quote and compare his DE% to anyone you like and it won't mean a thing. We watch the games. We know that when JK has put 10m on his opponent and Priddis decides to helicopter a skyball on his head rather then kick it to his advantage, doesn't mark down his DE. Nor do handballs to teammates who already have an opponent on them and are subsequently tackled, as well as handballs to teammates feet.

Matt's 65% DE puts him ahead if Josh Kennedy (64%), Cotchin (63%) and Dangerfield (61%) <---- Yet they are all much better kicks.
Not sure about Danger, but I have seen a bit of Kennedy, and I am not sure he is much better at disposal. He does have a more penetrating kick, but he handballs to feet, and behind players etc just as much as Priddis in my opinion. If DE counts disposals that raech, but do not advantage the target as effective disposals, and for it to be ineffective it has to go to the opposition or no one?, then Kennedy completely misses the target over a third of the time he gets the ball. Are you arguing the rest of the time it is lace out, sorry, but that just isnt the case.

His better penetration gets him the advantage over Priddis, but despite what you think you see, the difference in disposal between Priddis and Kennedy is minimal.

Matt's 65% DE puts him ahead if Josh Kennedy (64%), Cotchin (63%) and Dangerfield (61%) <---- Yet they are all much better kicks.

You just got to laugh

So your saying Kennedy, Cotchin and Dangerfield's DE are accurate but Priddis is not ?
Priddis works under a different set of rules does he ?

If Kennedy handballs to a team mates feet it reduces his DE but its different for Priddis ??

I pretty sure every player in the league stats are recorded the same. They are all afforded the same margin of error. Under the EXACT same criteria Priddis DE is better than the players mentioned. Time for you to put your 'Priddis Goggles' on and watch any other inside mid in the game..IT Might be quite educational

You just got to laugh

So your saying Kennedy, Cotchin and Dangerfield's DE are accurate but Priddis is not ?
He didn't say that at all. He said DE isn't a reliable statistic, and that those three players are better kicks than Priddis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back