Prediction Hypothetical finish to 2023 - finish with a bang, or continue as we are?

Which end to the season would you prefer Hawthorn have?

• Finish with a bang, sneak into the top 8

Votes: 44 67.7%
  • Continue as we are, get a high pick

Votes: 21 32.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

While a top 8 finish would be miraculous and amazing, lets take a top 2-3 draft pick this year and get set for next year and in '25.

You are one dumb ass motherf*#^er Flukey!
What sort of call is that?
Did you not see the players faces today?

Nothing. Beats. Winning.

😎😉

Option 1 could result in a nightmare scenario ...
If McCabe has an eye-opening U18 Carnival, we could be forced to use our first round draft pick on him.

Still vulnerable to a Lewis injury.

I’m pleasantly surprised the mids etc are playing out games now. Can that last the whole season? The same four attending centre bounces?

Would love this group to play an elimination final and get them a taste of September footy. I think our percentage would make that very hard though - plus you'd imagine we would have to win at least 8 remaining games to have any chance.

If we'd had more luck in the finish of the Adelaide and GWS games we'd be percentage out of the 8 currently.
David King assures me Sam Mitchell wasn't really trying to win the Adelaide game...

I reakon somewhere between those two options; won't finish with a bang as realistically we are still a very inexperienced and raw side. Nor will we continue to really struggle

Probably lose most of the rest of the season but it won't be demoralising losses (for players and fans) It will start to click on a more and more regular basis as the second half of the season wears on. As we see our young brigade begin to build some momentum and energy going into 2024. And along the way take 1 or 2 bigger scalps like on the weekend

Still finish bottom 4, but heaps of exciting things to look.forward too

David King assures me Sam Mitchell wasn't really trying to win the Adelaide game...
Gotta love that the implication of them being convinced we're tanking is that we're secretly so good that we can manufacture losses by under a goal and leave no evidence that it was orchestrated.

Kingy pointing at the monitor from Fox Footy HQ in the final minutes "Look, Sicily has gone off the ground with 3 minutes to go! He's on the grassy knoll!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We simply aren't winning 10 of the last 12 games required to play finals so I won't bother voting.

Finishing with something like 7 or 8 wins and still getting pick 3 is probably the best case scenario from here.
Even with a hypothetical you can't help yourself being a miserable sod.

Does the thread ask how many wins you think we'll get? Why bother replying just to say you won't participate?

Even with a hypothetical you can't help yourself being a miserable sod.

Does the thread ask how many wins you think we'll get? Why bother replying just to say you won't participate?

I'd take 10 wins from 12 and make finals then mate, if we go 13-10 from 1-8 then we aren't in desperate need of another top 5 pick.

We almost went that way back in 2010

Yeah 1-6 to 12-9-1.

That team was more seasoned though and went in with expectations of being a top 6 team or so with many Premiership players on the list.

This years list is the youngest in the comp and was most pundits tip for the wooden spoon.

Yeah 1-6 to 12-9-1.

That team was more seasoned though and went in with expectations of being a top 6 team or so with many Premiership players on the list.

This years list is the youngest in the comp and was most pundits tip for the wooden spoon.
Yeah i know its unlikely but dare to dream

The point of this thread was really just to get a sense of what people thought was more important for long term improvement, not to be realistic about what will happen for the rest of the season.
  1. Team improving as a whole, the game plan becoming obvious, but a far later choice of draftee than any here have been expecting
  2. Team not showing improvement, game plan still suspect, but with the prospect of one of the highest rated draftees we've all been discussing for half a year
As someone who thinks the first would be preferable, if very unlikely, I wanted to get a sense of how many posters would agree with the opposite scenario.

Personally I don't think drafting a highly rated kid solves whole team improvement or game plan so I was hoping to understand why almost 1/3rd of people were more inclined towards the second option. Whether the fact they simply do not rate wins as a metric for improvement, or they don't rate players currently on the list etc.

Unfortunately people have voted but not many have made their case in the thread.

I think we could pass both Richmond and GWS on the ladder. Keep expecting Adelaide to crumble, but they keep winning.

If we match or surpass last seasons' win tally after such a slow start, I will be happy. 5th or 6th pick to add to our core, and a chance to see a dramatic rise like 2007 after a strong finish to the previous year.

The point of this thread was really just to get a sense of what people thought was more important for long term improvement, not to be realistic about what will happen for the rest of the season.
  1. Team improving as a whole, the game plan becoming obvious, but a far later choice of draftee than any here have been expecting
  2. Team not showing improvement, game plan still suspect, but with the prospect of one of the highest rated draftees we've all been discussing for half a year
As someone who thinks the first would be preferable, if very unlikely, I wanted to get a sense of how many posters would agree with the opposite scenario.

Personally I don't think drafting a highly rated kid solves whole team improvement or game plan so I was hoping to understand why almost 1/3rd of people were more inclined towards the second option. Whether the fact they simply do not rate wins as a metric for improvement, or they don't rate players currently on the list etc.

Unfortunately people have voted but not many have made their case in the thread.

Voted for you mate. Finish with a bang and make the 8, if Sam Mitchell takes this 2023 list to the finals he's a ******* genius and we don't need the high pick.

I think the answer to the question is honestly obvious.

If the young Hawks were good enough to win enough games (by enough points) to make the 8 from here - with the list demographics we have, then that would be a FAR GREATER indicator of likely future success than getting a pick a handful of spots higher in the draft.

It would require our young players to be dominating across the park. It would mean we would have attained cohesion and a winning culture. It would mean our forward line and defence would have very significantly improved.

It would also mean we would be much, much closer to the finished product (certainly moreso than a single - slightly higher - pick could provide).

In our game, a single player - let alone a small talent differential at under 18 level of a single player - is not what makes success. Talent across the park, game plan, cohesion, experience, etc are all big factors. Look at Carlton - lots of high picks and good individual talent but can't win to save themselves. Then look at Collingwood - 18 months ago people though they had the worst list in the comp. New game style, cohesion and belief and that same list are now favourites for the flag. Not to mention, a lot is dependent on how you develop the talent you acquire - not just where they are ranked at 18.

Option 1 without a doubt (however unrealistic).

Yeah 1-6 to 12-9-1.

Whilst we had better KPF back then, our lack of KPD was all-time ridiculous...

I'll back us in to win 10 of our next regular season games, then the flag. Probs win the 9 of the first 10 next season as well...

Back