I Don't Get This Waite Interest

Remove this Banner Ad

People need to remember that picking Waite up via FA is like using a fourth rounder (60-ish) in exchange. At that stage of the draft it is a crap shoot.

My only concern is if his body will hold up for another 2-3 seasons.

People need to remember that picking Waite up via FA is like using a fourth rounder (60-ish) in exchange. At that stage of the draft it is a crap shoot.

He also takes up a spot and keeps the likes of Brown, Wood, Black, Tarrant and Daw in the VFL.

Do not want.

He also takes up a spot and keeps the likes of Brown, Wood, Black, Tarrant and Daw in the VFL.

Do not want.
Black has been our second key forward all year and would be the third tall, probably.
People have written off Daw for some strange reason.
Tarrant may be shot. We don't know.
I do like Wolfmother keeping his spot.
Wood is a work in progress and I acknowledge that.

Like say getting Brown at 47

Engimal said:
I don't like Waite but our interest is making me think that Drew might not be keen to go around again... :(
I see it as a troll of carlton. Get them to resign him while we move elsewhere and ensure Carlton cannot sign the player we actually want

You don't want to constantly be rebuilding, you want to be able to have a crack at some point in time.

In 2009 there was talk on here about how great we'd be in 2012, in 2010 it was 2013.

We can't just keep pushing it back. We go now or Boomer, Dish, Wells even Spud are gone.

Guy would cost us not much more than cap space.

Cant remember where i heard it, but it was stated that our offer to Waite is a 1 year contract with a trigger clause for another, makes sense to me, probably dependant on games played, no tribunal appearances etc, can anyone elaborate ?

I heard something similar, whether that is accurate or not is a totally different question.

Cant remember where i heard it, but it was stated that our offer to Waite is a 1 year contract with a trigger clause for another, makes sense to me, probably dependant on games played, no tribunal appearances etc, can anyone elaborate ?

It was in one of the papers today.

The die was set last year with NDS, we acknowledged the window was open for our first* premiership until 2016, so go get him on a 1 year contract with a trigger clause for another, I'd also go hard at Frawley. Neither cost us a trade, but crickey if anyone here starts talking about trading our first live pick for these FAs;)

not sure who will be delisted but we can worry about that in the washup, but I can name five easier this year then last.

* by first I mean first of this era

I don't like this window talk, makes it sound like we are no hope once Boomer and Dish retire. Being a good club is a process of doing a lot of things well; recruitment, development, list management, coaching and playing footy.

The 'window' shuts because you have failed somewhere in the process. We could no longer play finals and contend after our last flag because our recruitment sucked, our development was poor, our trading and list management was bad. We just didn't put enough quality on the list.

I don't think we are that far off to being a contender, we have beaten Hawthorn, Fremantle and Swans but we have been exposed for a lack of leg speed in transition against Geelong and it has cost us against them and some other shittier teams who also exposed us in the same area. To me, that is where our biggest focus should be to correct. Nahas has been handy but both our wings and most of our flanks are lacking in leg speed at present.

I see Waite as icing on the cake, if we can fix the other problem I mention then I think we will be in a position to contend, however, if we don't then I don't think Waite will have a massive impact on the end result.

Premiership windows are not just one or two year openings, they are 5/6 year openings, short term thinking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was against it when i first heard we were chasing him, but ive warmed to the idea now. Takes the heat of Dish to be the man, Waite can win games off his own boot when he fires, both can also pinch hit down back if needed and we are gearing up for an assualt on the flag. Also, a new club might invigorate Waite, we could get a hungry, happy player thats buys in on an all out tilt for a flag. He wont be maligned here like he is at Carlton, unless he stinks it up of course lol

I was against it when i first heard we were chasing him, but ive warmed to the idea now. Takes the heat of Dish to be the man, Waite can win games off his own boot when he fires, both can also pinch hit down back if needed and we are gearing up for an assualt on the flag. Also, a new club might invigorate Waite, we could get a hungry, happy player thats buys in on an all out tilt for a flag. He wont be maligned here like he is at Carlton, unless he stinks it up of course lol

I had the same thoughts but my thinking was clouded by my hatred for anything carltank.

Tbe guy is a proven game changer- takes contested marks and kicks bags of goals.
Would take pressure off Drewy and has great agility to pressure defences when they have the ball.
Has flexibility to play back as well.

Cost us nothing other than cash.

Its go time now

Happy to get him but we need to nab another player with a surgeon like foot. Although Wells gone for most of the year has highlighted how much we've missed him. I know our forwards have underpeformed but our mids have made it hard for them.

Ryz, that avatar. Quality.

I came into this thread skeptical and now feel quite convinced. A contested marking forward to push us deep into finals over the next two years that costs us nothing but cap space? Seems legit.

Agreed, not going to get a ready made 18 yo gun at that draft level, buys time to assess tarrant, curran, daw, brown and wood (I've no doubts the last 2 will make it), if his body holds up should do better than at Carlton getting getting only second defender. Scott wants his 3 towers, I can't see him taking browns spot.

Who are you judging him against when you say underachieving?

Carey, Lloyd, Riewoldt, Pavlich?

The only comparison you should be making is Waite vs Brown/Black/Daw.

Atm he absolutely shits all over them as a player, and thats all that matters.

He would make us a 2-3 goal better side, which statistically, is a fact.

You've done the calculations yourself?

The die was set last year with NDS, we acknowledged the window was open for our first* premiership until 2016, so go get him on a 1 year contract with a trigger clause for another, I'd also go hard at Frawley.

* by first I mean first of this era

The unauthorised use of * had me confused until I got to the end :)

I had the same thoughts but my thinking was clouded by my hatred for anything carltank.

Tbe guy is a proven game changer- takes contested marks and kicks bags of goals.
Would take pressure off Drewy and has great agility to pressure defences when they have the ball.
Has flexibility to play back as well.

Cost us nothing other than cash.

Its go time now
Make that 3. I was 100% against it (thoughts may have been clouded because I thought he was a dickhead).

Once I gave it a good think and after taking in others opinions on the matter I'm all for it (actually I'll probably be pissed if it doesn't because it makes sense).

When he does come I can pretend like I've always rated him, and explain how he was my favourite non-north player along with Nahas and NDS.

Picking up Waite, smells a bit like a coach getting towards the end of his contract with no success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back