Analysis I want Ruck Dominance not spillage disposals Will Minson

Remove this Banner Ad

What about Campbell? My biggest concern is that we're really stretched in the ready ruck department and should Will get injured who is going to be able to carry the load? Campbell couldnt do a whole game himself and we'd be forced to make some comprehensive changes to the game plan to accommodate both Cordy and Campbell as a tandem ruck duo

What about Campbell? My biggest concern is that we're really stretched in the ready ruck department and should Will get injured who is going to be able to carry the load? Campbell couldnt do a whole game himself and we'd be forced to make some comprehensive changes to the game plan to accommodate both Cordy and Campbell as a tandem ruck duo
I agree it's an issue, but not for 2014.
If Will, Campbell and Cordy all got injured we could throw Hrovat into the ruck for all it matters to our 2014 season. However I will be uncomfortable if we try to play next season with just Will as the sole ruckman, getting occasional rest breaks from the likes of Jones or Roberts.

I have a feeling we might have to get used to seeing Roughead not man the full-back role anymore, we'd have to chuck him in the ruck.

Sorry - what's the question?

That you want "ruck dominance"?

Great call, champ. I bet it never occurred to anyone at the Bulldogs that Will try to exhibit ruck dominance. I heard that night and day McCartney orders Will, "Hey Will, stop trying to win ruck contests, and focus more on spillage disposals. NOW!"

I bet Will is desperately trying not to dominate the ruck. You should be our coach with your excellent suggestions.

Every single thread acker starts, I wonder if he's drunk. Is it possible that he could be drunk every night?

Please don't respond though. I'm just an apologist.

Big Will isn't dominating in 2014 like he was in 2013 - whether he needs help, he's slowing down, he's not jumping high enough, he's injured or a bit of everything I don't know
But I do know in some games Will isn't clearly dominant over his opponent like against Essendon

Its difficult to gauge isn't it? Cordy IMO seems to be a project player but I'm struggling to see the long term value if he's not performing at a level to get selected in the seniors. Given the fact that I have not been able to see the 2's play this year I cant rate his work rate in the reserves.

Yes Will was in a similar spot when Street and later Hudson were at the club.
Perhaps it's worth a rethink and trying Roughead as a Forward / 2nd Ruck in a few games

Big Will isn't dominating in 2014 like he was in 2013 - whether he needs help, he's slowing down, he's not jumping high enough, he's injured or a bit of everything I don't know
But I do know in some games Will isn't clearly dominant over his opponent like against Essendon

Well you should be making demands from the football department and not the player.

Well you should be making demands from the football department and not the player.

Player can train to rectify a deficiency - Perhaps he can sacrifice a few kilos to get more vertical height and be more aerobic getting around the ground. He is a big unit

Player can train to rectify a deficiency - Perhaps he can sacrifice a few kilos to get more vertical height and be more aerobic getting around the ground. He is a big unit

At his age, I doubt losing a few kg's wiould be of any benefit (unless he had hip or knee complaints). His leap will never be that of a NicNat or a Ryder and neither will his acceleration and overall agility. No point getting lighter and making his body on body work have less impact, while at the same time not increasing his leap and agility all that much.

Minson has an excellent skill in taking the ball out of a ball up scenario, smashing his way out of said scenario and then kicking a goal or clearing the contest. If he wasn't as strong as he is, he would get tackled and smashed to the ground. It may be the crude way, but it still works.

Maybe getting him some consistent help might work as well.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back