If you could draft any player from history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not easy given that there isn't a lot of footage of him around but can you show some examples as I am honestly struggling to believe that given Buddy is unmatched in terms of being an athletic freak over the last 20 years. No player his size can do what he could do in his prime.

The post I was replying to originally by KermitJagger had Buddy kicking 200 goals in the 90s. Kicking 50 goals more than Hudson’s season record is ridiculous hyperbole. He used Ablett’s lack of height as the reason for his opinion which is wrong. Despite the differences in height; Ablett, Dunstall and Lockett were pound for pound better overhead and contested marks than Franklin, by a long way too. There is no way Franklin would have got close to the double ton. To suggest other wise is stupidity.

Franklin was an athletic freak, no question. He would have been no chance to kick 200 goals a season though, which is where I disagree with KermitJagger .

A player that suits the modern era.. no point in drafting a plugger, Chief Dunstall or Ablett Snr :(

I am going to have to say Lance Franklin...
What makes you think Snr wouldn’t do well in todays game?
A Winger/HFF who could kick 1000 goals would be ideal in todays game

Ablett senior. Freakiest player ever, absurdly quick, strong and powerful, jumped over buildings, kicked 1000, still a good size for a monster mid / forward in the modern day with some fitness. If Dustin Martin could do what he did then Ablett would be unstoppable in the same role.
You ever seen Ablett's highlight reel? It's insane. I remember I was at the 1992 Coodabeen Champions Brownlow night where they had a 25 minute package of Gaz Sr on the big screen during pre-dinner drinks. I couldn't believe the same bloke was responsible for all of that genius. They didn't even need to show the same clip twice, there was so many. I went and saw him carve up my team so many times - one day when he kicked 14 against us we supporters just sat back and immersed ourselves in what we were watching.

Dusty's is pretty decent too. Future footy heads will salivate over footage of what he's done over 13 seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You ever seen Ablett's highlight reel? It's insane. I remember I was at the 1992 Coodabeen Champions Brownlow night where they had a 25 minute package of Gaz Sr on the big screen during pre-dinner drinks. I couldn't believe the same bloke was responsible for all of that genius. They didn't even need to show the same clip twice, there was so many. I went and saw him carve up my team so many times - one day when he kicked 14 against us we supporters just sat back and immersed ourselves in what we were watching.

Dusty's is pretty decent too. Future footy heads will salivate over footage of what he's done over 13 seasons.

This is probably my favourite Gazza game. Kicks a big bag, takes hangers, poleaxes blokes, kicks goals on the left and right, from set shots, on the run, all angles, or with huge torps, belts blokes behind play, gets belted behind play, smashes blokes with tackles, marks everything with one hand, two hands, in packs, in one on ones, on the lead, running back with the flight… and wins a nice Panasonic CD Player for his performance.

This is probably my favourite Gazza game. Kicks a big bag, takes hangers, poleaxes blokes, kicks goals on the left and right, from set shots, on the run, all angles, or with huge torps, belts blokes behind play, gets belted behind play, smashes blokes with tackles, marks everything with one hand, two hands, in packs, in one on ones, on the lead, running back with the flight… and wins a nice Panasonic CD Player for his performance.

Anybody who doesn't think Ablett is the GOAT needs to watch that electric performance.

We have so many holes, and will for the next few years, we need the flexibility of someone who can play tall at either end, or on the ball. A Goodes, Hird, lesser extent Pavlich flexible type; Baldock probably can't play tall in the modern game, otherwise ideal.

Stephen Michael, by a street. Then Benny Vigona, then Maurice.
Michael once a once in a life time player.
Never seen better even today. Tough as nails, smooth as silk, skills of a magician.
If Benny had the want that Stephen and Maurice had, he would have been better than them both.

Had better games. He was appalling in front of goal that night. Still finished with 7 but should have been 10 goals.
Some of the early 84/85 games are better as they were during the season with 4 points on the line.

Anybody who doesn't think Ablett is the GOAT needs to watch that electric performance.
As a player, supreme.
As a human, bog ordinary is being kind. The effect he had on his family let alone a poor Geelong disciple is horrendous.

Would be great if he could keep his head out of the media and just fade into the ether.

But it seems he’s putting his hand out for cash…again.

Could've done with Dean Cox last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back