If you could draft any player from history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Leigh Matthew’s started 1971 as an 18 year old. Kicked 43 goals and won the B&F in a premiership team. As if you take anyone else.

If it were the 70s with the rules, fitness and speed of the day you’d take lethal

Today, I’d take Judd

I think our midfield will end up being ok in a few years, so I’m going to go with this bloke because we need a focal point for the next 10 years to partner with Mitch Lewis. This bloke would also be an inspirational leader (on field….) and still to this day is probably on par with the best player I’ve ever seen.

Carey.

If it were the 70s with the rules, fitness and speed of the day you’d take lethal

Today, I’d take Judd

He rested forward and kicked 900 goals. He would adjust. Plus there would be fewer pies and beers consumed so his fitness would be fine.

And he would learn not to bump.

Id go with Buddy. Then Matthews 2nd.

Now that he's retired, prime Selwood would be nice to add to our midfield right now.

Otherwise still would want GAJ in his prime, he never played finals at the peak of his powers.

It has to be Franklin. Who wouldn't draft a 197cm kid who has the ball on a string, has a left boot like a canon and the speed and endurance to burn any opponent? Not to mention he'll still be playing in 2042.

He became a forward, but honestly Buddy could've played anywhere and still given the opposition nightmares.

Never saw Barassi play live but would be a decent pickup.
Robbie Flower I did see play and would be a great choice also.
But seeing as it is the forward line we can use some help with either the Ox or Allen Jackovich would be good value (surgically insert Vibranium into Ox's knees as a precaution.

Hmmm.... there's not a lot of love for Dustin Martin in this thread?

Where are all the Richmond supporters who have only been watching footy since 2017?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting spin on this would be to base your assessment on the proviso the player went through their career injury free.

I reckon you'd get a lot more people nominating Kouta in that case...

Not who I thought I'd select when I first saw this question, but honestly, I think I'd go Selwood.

Nothing special about him. No height or freakish qualities to speak of...but a will to win from the very first day he was drafted, an insatiable appetite for the ball, and an ability to make those around him better and stand taller.

From his very first game until his last game, his standards never dropped off (apparently his BOG performance while all others in our team coasted in Round 7, 2007 or so, was the catalyst for us turning things around - given an 18 year old was outworking and outplayed some of our greatest stars at the time), and it resulted in him being the longest serving captain in AFL history and getting sent off with a 4th flag - which basically epitomized his career given he won one in his first and last year, and played finals in every single year bar one of his career.

I could list the best players in GAS, Carey, Buddy. Matthew's, GAJ, Judd, Lockett, Dusty etc. but pound for pound and for every single thing we got out of him in his 350+ games, I'm choosing Selwood every time. Voss and Hodge are others I'd consider too in the same category.
I tend to agree with this rationale.

You want a player who makes ever other player in his team walk taller.

Selwood, Voss and Carey were the greatest players/leaders I have seen do this.

Hmmm.... there's not a lot of love for Dustin Martin in this thread?

Where are all the Richmond supporters who have only been watching footy since 2017?
He is still playing so didn't cross my mind to be honest?

If this was for a final series then Dusty would be the first pick for me but KB was a better overall player and is still one of the best finals players ever to play the game, not too mention playing 400+ games, so from a Richmond perspective KB would be my choice.

I'm surprised that there is not a lot of love from Magpies for Nathan Buckley?

Being an old royboy, I would go with Bernie Quinlan. You would have a gun mid who could kick the ball 65 meters with little effort for his first 12 years. For his later career he would turn into one of the games great key forwards, eventually calling it quits at about 36 years of age.
But if he was already taken I guess I'd be happy enough with Carey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back