Injury Injuries 2015 : The state of No Play

Remove this Banner Ad

So looking at the most recent injury news (fingers crossed no injuries in final 2 games) the guys that have/had injury concerns look like this heading into the season.

Pav - available and probably rested (think he sits out this week or next)
Ballas - available after missing 8 or so weeks
Luke Mac - available and probably rested (think he sits next week if we win this week)
Fyfe - available, but questions marks if he is 100%
MJ - available and should have 3 or 4 games under his belt
Zac Clarke - available and rested with a break this weekend (selection pending)
Zac Dawson - available and should have 3 games under his belt

So as it stands today we aren't in the doom and gloom position that everyone is saying.

Have I missed something or got something here wrong??

Agreed - not all doom and gloom

RTB will be doing EVERYTHING to get that first win in the finals home game and another 2 weeks rest.

For someone like Fyfe, that's 2 games in the next 5 weeks

Will greatly benefit Mundy, Pav, Sandi also

to get that win, realistically would rather be playing Sydney than Hawks... so we need to win both games unless Crows knock off Weagles

I think we're so used to getting injuries over the years that we feel like we're doing pretty well atm. If this was Hawthorn (a team who just doesn't accumulate this number of injuries, and certainly not at the 'wrong time' of the year) I imagine some of their supporters would be going into crisis mode.

We've spend the entire year without our best defence, our best player out/not right for nearly the second half of the season, a key small forward and key tall forward injured or not completely right, and not to mention our best tagger being absent.

Knock on wood (punch it) we could get the majority of these guys back at the right time of the year when we need them the most.

I think we're so used to getting injuries over the years that we feel like we're doing pretty well atm. If this was Hawthorn (a team who just doesn't accumulate this number of injuries, and certainly not at the 'wrong time' of the year) I imagine some of their supporters would be going into crisis mode.

We've spend the entire year without our best defence, our best player out/not right for nearly the second half of the season, a key small forward and key tall forward injured or not completely right, and not to mention our best tagger being absent.

Knock on wood (punch it) we could get the majority of these guys back at the right time of the year when we need them the most.

Yeah, luck plays a very important part in Premiership success. As you've mentioned, last year Hawks went without Mitchell, Lake, Gibson and a couple of others I'm sure for large chunks of the season.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2015-08-27/hbf-injury-update-27-august-2015

Based on this in regards to Fyfe, I'm leaning towards the ‘He’s injured, could play if desperate but would be better rested’ argument over the ‘it’s a really bad injury and he’ll be struggling to be fit in time of finals’ argument. Makes me more optimistic about everything.

Good to hear Blakely is ok. He’s vital for peel in finals. And good to hear about Pav that he’s ‘really well, very happy where he’s at

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2015-08-27/hbf-injury-update-27-august-2015

Based on this in regards to Fyfe, I'm leaning towards the ‘He’s injured, could play if desperate but would be better rested’ argument over the ‘it’s a really bad injury and he’ll be struggling to be fit in time of finals’ argument. Makes me more optimistic about everything.

Good to hear Blakely is ok. He’s vital for peel in finals. And good to hear about Pav that he’s ‘really well, very happy where he’s at

I'm really hoping for Pav to play this weekend just to get the run in his legs.

Fingers crossed for appropriate results in all games on Sunday and then he can sit and rest for a week and not get on a plane until October.

Fingers crossed for appropriate results in all games on Sunday

I hope you don't mind me pulling out RTB's crystal ball Mr Wizard and providing definition to what is appropriate.

If things fall our way (Crows and Freo win):-
- We secure top spot and can manage players in the final round.
- Hawthorn and West Coast cannot rest players next week as they both continue to fight for 2nd.
- Assuming WC win next week, the Hawks travel to play WC in a Qualifying - a more difficult proposition.
- Meanwhile, we get in all likelihood Sydney at home - no 'give me' but the better side of the Qualifying draw.

The implications are significant as the ageing Hawks have not had to travel since 8 August and their last 4 rounds involve 2 games at the MCG, 1 at Etihad and 1 at Aurora. So Top 2 for the Hawks would effectively mean they could stay local for a massive 8 weeks through to a GF on their home ground with a couple of rest weeks in between.

For Freo, if all goes to plan, it'd mean our core group have not had to travel for 6 weeks up to the GF with a couple of weeks of rest thrown in as well.

If under those circumstances, we are unable to nail it and the Hawks still win it from there, the arrogant flogs amongst their supporter base and our own in-house critics have my blessing to be unbearable over the next preseason.

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind me pulling out RTB's crystal ball Mr Wizard and providing definition to what is appropriate.

If things fall our way (Crows and Freo win):-
- We secure top spot and can manage players in the final round.
- Hawthorn and West Coast cannot rest players next week as they both continue to fight for 2nd.
- Assuming WC win next week, the Hawks travel to play WC in a Prelim - a more difficult proposition.
- Meanwhile, we get in all likelihood Sydney at home - no 'give me' but the better side of the Prelims draw.

The implications are significant as the ageing Hawks have not had to travel since 8 August and their last 4 rounds involve 2 games at the MCG, 1 at Etihad and 1 at Aurora. So Top 2 for the Hawks would effectively mean they could stay local for a massive 8 weeks through to a GF on their home ground with a couple of rest weeks in between.

For Freo, if all goes to plan, it'd mean our core group have not had to travel for 6 weeks up to the GF with a couple of weeks of rest thrown in as well.

If under those circumstances, we are unable to nail it and the Hawks still win it from there, the arrogant flogs amongst their supporter base and our own in-house critics have my blessing to be unbearable over the next preseason.

You have got the PF wrong.Assuming the ladder stays as is.Week 1 will have us probably playing Sydney and WC v Hawks.If both the WA sides win in week 1 we'll most likely be playing Hawthorn at home in a PF.

You have got the PF wrong.Assuming the ladder stays as is.Week 1 will have us probably playing Sydney and WC v Hawks.If both the WA sides win in week 1 we'll most likely be playing Hawthorn at home in a PF.
Thanks. Fixed my post. Meant the QF's so if everything goes to plan, while we would potentially get the Hawks in a PF later on, it'd be after they hopefully have been through the wringer.

Presuming, we lose and The girls win, we get another chance at home the following week against either the winner of 5 and 8 or 6 and 7? If we win that then we play the girls at HOME again. The same goes for them if we win and they lose their QF... If that makes sense

So as it stands today we aren't in the doom and gloom position that everyone is saying.

Have I missed something or got something here wrong??
not D&G but my mild pessimism springs from no knowing what state Fyfe will be in. He is by so far our most important player now as evidenced by our most commanding form of the season exactly corresponding to the patch where he established himself as the best player in the game. If he's limping into finals then I suspect so are we.

Having all our key backs though is something we've never had come finals and a huge bonus. If we get Ballantyne available and Fyfe is fit enough to do his thing who knows what could happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not D&G but my mild pessimism springs from no knowing what state Fyfe will be in. He is by so far our most important player now as evidenced by our most commanding form of the season exactly corresponding to the patch where he established himself as the best player in the game. If he's limping into finals then I suspect so are we.

Having all our key backs though is something we've never had come finals and a huge bonus. If we get Ballantyne available and Fyfe is fit enough to do his thing who knows what could happen.

I'm 100% confident that Fyfe will be 100% right for finals. Freo has been super careful with players all year (extended time off for Johnson, tapping out McPharlin at soon as he looks not 100%, resting Pav and even today with Walters) and if they are very confident of Fyfe being right for the finals, I am as well.

So, Dr Spud Larkins reckons Cam could face end of season surgery or keep playing but won't be right till second or third week of finals

Every week everything the moron says is rubbish.

Every week everything the moron says is rubbish.
Wiz im not saying larkins isnt a goose but from my knee cap dislocations ive had the first one is always the worst whereas latter ones just slip out and in allowing return sooner than later. He might be out 2 weeks at least i think

Edit "Because of the high recurrence rate, the goal of any treatment is to reduce the possibility of a recurrent dislocation. The minimum treatment for the first time dislocation should be immobilisation in a sling for 2 to 3 weeks to take advantage of the off-chance that it will reduce the recurrence rate."

INJURY LIST - UPDATED TUESDAY 1 SEPTEMBER
Connor Blakely (Ankle) Test
Matthew Pavlich (Fatigue) 1 week
Luke McPharlin (Fatigue) 1 week
Aaron Sandilands (Fatigue) 1 week
Stephen Hill (Fatigue) 1 week
David Mundy (Fatigue) 1 week
Lee Spurr (Fatigue) 1 week
Nat Fyfe (Leg Soreness) 1 week
Michael Walters (Calf Soreness) 1 week
Hayden Ballantyne (Pectoral Tendon) 1-2 weeks
Alex Silvagni (Suspension) 2 weeks
Josh Deluca (Leg Stress Reaction) 2-4 weeks
Ryan Crowley (Suspension) 3 weeks
Michael Apeness (Knee) Season
Anthony Morabito (Knee) TBA

Bad news:
- None

Good news:
- This would have been a terrifying list had we seen it at the start of the season.
- Ballantyne and Blakely tracking quicker than expected.
- Deluca, Fyfe and Walters healing as expected.
- Amazingly, no Sutcliffe listed.

Here's the quote from Doc Larkins on Sutcliffe's shoulder:

"OMG, I'm like sooo famous now that I get paid for giving an opinion based on nothing! I'm like Kim Kardashian! It's so great being in the media now. When I was an actual doctor, I had to base my opinions on actual clinical evidence, but now I like just totally make s**t up! It's so easy! And everyone loves me! Like Kim Kardashian! I'm thinking about changing my name to P Lark or Doc P or D Pizzle Lizzle. It's so great being famous! I'm going to go hang out with Pete Evans now. Laters!"

INJURY LIST - UPDATED TUESDAY 1 SEPTEMBER
Connor Blakely (Ankle) Test
Matthew Pavlich (Fatigue) 1 week
Luke McPharlin (Fatigue) 1 week
Aaron Sandilands (Fatigue) 1 week
Stephen Hill (Fatigue) 1 week
David Mundy (Fatigue) 1 week
Lee Spurr (Fatigue) 1 week
Nat Fyfe (Leg Soreness) 1 week
Michael Walters (Calf Soreness) 1 week
Hayden Ballantyne (Pectoral Tendon) 1-2 weeks
Alex Silvagni (Suspension) 2 weeks
Josh Deluca (Leg Stress Reaction) 2-4 weeks
Ryan Crowley (Suspension) 3 weeks

Bad news:
- None

Good news:
- This would have been a terrifying list had we seen it at the start of the season.
- Ballantyne and Blakely tracking quicker than expected.
- Deluca, Fyfe and Walters healing as expected.
- Amazingly, no Sutcliffe listed.

Reckon Lachie, Griff and Sutcliffe might still go down with fatigue by week's end. Sounds like Ballas is really 1 week.

Likely list tomorrow:

Zac Dawson (Calf) test
Cameron Sutcliffe (Shoulder) test
Jonathon Griffin (Hamstring) test
Nat Fyfe (Leg Soreness) test
Michael Walters (Calf Soreness) test
Hayden Ballantyne (Pectoral Tendon) test
Alex Silvagni (Suspension) 1 week
Josh Deluca (Leg Stress Reaction) 1-3 weeks
Ryan Crowley (Suspension) 2 weeks

If we win on Saturday without any injuries (touch wood) we could have everybody on our list available for the prelim except for Apeness and Mora!

Likely list tomorrow:

Zac Dawson (Calf) test
Cameron Sutcliffe (Shoulder) test
Jonathon Griffin (Hamstring) test
Nat Fyfe (Leg Soreness) test
Michael Walters (Calf Soreness) test
Hayden Ballantyne (Pectoral Tendon) test
Alex Silvagni (Suspension) 1 week
Josh Deluca (Leg Stress Reaction) 1-3 weeks
Ryan Crowley (Suspension) 2 weeks

If we win on Saturday without any injuries (touch wood) we could have everybody on our list available for the prelim except for Apeness and Mora!
The stars are aligning:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back