Roast Is anyone else disappointed with how the club treated Nick Riewoldt over the selfie saga

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been stewing on this off and on today. At first i was a bit miffed with the media making a mountain out of a molehill, especially with the susan obrien piece (that no fan would agree with) and also the attempt to make it all about gender/the dubious link they tried to make with the NWL.

But now i find myself more disappointed with the club, its senior management and how theyve managed this. To be honest its made me angry. Does anyone else feel this way?

I feel this way because i feel theyve blown this completely out of proportion and shown a lack of appreciation for everything riewoldt has done over his long career for the club. When i say the club i mean the players, its employees, the fans and the community. Not just an individual or those in senior management at the club.

I agree that it is unacceptable to blast colleagues like that (club and media take note: gender here is completely irrelevant) but to then parade him in front of the club for an apology, spare me. A simple apology in person should have been enough. Instead theyve blown it completely out of proportion and put it on show for everyone. To then have someone leak it to the media causing even more embarrassment for everyone involved, what the hell. At a time when his in-laws are over here on holiday. Thats probably the most hurtful part of the whole saga.

I mean think everyone on here has probably at somepoint had a co worker spoken to them in a "negative way" (for lack of a better term) or even spoken to another co worker like that. Why because we're human and we've all had bad days. Mature people get that, quietly apologise and move on. They accept that at some point you are going to have a down moment in the team between different personalities. But you forgive because you care about them and care about the team working together. What they dont do is blow it completely out of proportion and make them publicly apologise in front of 50+ people. Causing them more pain and embarrassment than the initial outburst. Let alone ensuring its plastered across print media.

I think they've also failed to take into account the pressure you are under as captain leading the team in front of so many people and how much pressure there is on performance. Of course he's going to be human from time to time and be pretty angry/frustrated with how the team has performed straight after the game. I felt the same way after the game and with our performance. I'm glad he isn't tolerating it and is driving the standard.

You would think after all he has done for the club. The amount of time and effort he has put into it. The time he has given us fans and the community, which can be very invasive on his personal life. The amount of photos, signatures, interviews, photoshoots etc. The amount of money he has raised for various charities and causes. That the club would remember that, wouldnt lose focus and turn it into a much bigger story than it needed to be.

Ive tried my best at wording this but i struggle with the written form, so i figured i would ask the question on here and see if anyone agrees/can articulate it better

(that moment when you've been away from BF and all Saints related stuff for over 24 hours, and then this is the first thread you open, and you're left asking, "What on earth has been going on...?")

I've been stewing on this off and on today. At first i was a bit miffed with the media making a mountain out of a molehill, especially with the susan obrien piece (that no fan would agree with) and also the attempt to make it all about gender/the dubious link they tried to make with the NWL.

But now i find myself more disappointed with the club, its senior management and how theyve managed this. To be honest its made me angry. Does anyone else feel this way?

I feel this way because i feel theyve blown this completely out of proportion and shown a lack of appreciation for everything riewoldt has done over his long career for the club. When i say the club i mean the players, its employees, the fans and the community. Not just an individual or those in senior management at the club.

I agree that it is unacceptable to blast colleagues like that (club and media take note: gender here is completely irrelevant) but to then parade him in front of the club for an apology, spare me. A simple apology in person should have been enough. Instead theyve blown it completely out of proportion and put it on show for everyone. To then have someone leak it to the media causing even more embarrassment for everyone involved, what the hell. At a time when his in-laws are over here on holiday. Thats probably the most hurtful part of the whole saga.

I mean think everyone on here has probably at somepoint had a co worker spoken to them in a "negative way" (for lack of a better term) or even spoken to another co worker like that. Why because we're human and we've all had bad days. Mature people get that, quietly apologise and move on. They accept that at some point you are going to have a down moment in the team between different personalities. But you forgive because you care about them and care about the team working together. What they dont do is blow it completely out of proportion and make them publicly apologise in front of 50+ people. Causing them more pain and embarrassment than the initial outburst. Let alone ensuring its plastered across print media.

I think they've also failed to take into account the pressure you are under as captain leading the team in front of so many people and how much pressure there is on performance. Of course he's going to be human from time to time and be pretty angry/frustrated with how the team has performed straight after the game. I felt the same way after the game and with our performance. I'm glad he isn't tolerating it and is driving the standard.

You would think after all he has done for the club. The amount of time and effort he has put into it. The time he has given us fans and the community, which can be very invasive on his personal life. The amount of photos, signatures, interviews, photoshoots etc. The amount of money he has raised for various charities and causes. That the club would remember that, wouldnt lose focus and turn it into a much bigger story than it needed to be.

Ive tried my best at wording this but i struggle with the written form, so i figured i would ask the question on here and see if anyone agrees/can articulate it better
It seems odd. I think most mainstream coverage see that it is Roo and move along.

As for the non sports journalism: gees they love poking their head into sport don't they. And it's always negative and very rarely on point.

Probably the biggest point is who is leaking?

The story is junk but Roo would of been pulled up becuase its like if u shouted out admin its not a sex thing but work place issue she has a expectation not to deal with that when doing her job and they would not want to foster a culture where the players felt they could treat the staff poorly.
The story is the unfortunate part because its a non issue

(that moment when you've been away from BF and all Saints related stuff for over 24 hours, and then this is the first thread you open, and you're left asking, "What on earth has been going on...?")

My girlfriend pointed this out to me when she absent-mindedly looked at a newspaper. Think that's the first time she's broken footy 'news' to me.

Doesn't seem to have gained much traction at least. Will be out of the news cycle in a day or two, if it isn't already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

18eb433e5bf10a5ab807a391c64c55e9.jpg

7195797106162503245639b2c71a8ca2.jpg

**** me how is this a story? The world is a precious place.

Sometimes when news doesn't happen you have to make something up. The Herald Sun is a piece of turd.

Its a very politically correct world we live in nowdays. When your a leader of a Club in Australia's biggest sporting code anything that somebody might find un P.C or offensive will usually end up with a press conference and an apology. Thats just how things are now.
I think youd find that the club has backed Nick in 100% but took the safe option to issue an apology. Or maybe he did it off his own bat cos thats just the type of bloke he is.
Its a nothing story . Everybody knows Nicks a quality person, im sure any apology was sincere and was accepted in good faith. END OF STORY!!!

Any media who keep running with it or questioning his attitude are a bunch of 2nd rate flogs.

Last edited:
What pissed me off was the way one article blurred the lines between the two issues and left it vague. Firstly, he wanted to cut some of the post-game engagement with fans earlier than usual which annoyed one of the clubs personal. Secondly, he told his team mates to get off the ground with some expletives involved. 2 separate issues, nothing to do with the fact the employee was a woman and he didn't say anything rude/inappropriate to her. But let's not let the truth get in the way of a sensationalist, hate-mongering, defaming piece of "writing".

"It is believed a frustrated Riewoldt disrespected Ms Musster when she asked him to fulfil his requirements.

In Ms Musster’s presence Riewoldt then told his teammates to “get the f--- off the ground” because he was incensed with the side’s performance, despite the big win.

The Saints are one of eight Victorian clubs lobbying hard for a licence in the new national women’s football league, to be launched next year."

He SWORE in the presence of a LAADDDYYYY?!?! And HOW exactly did he "disrespect" her? There's no detail on that. And to top that all off, what the * does this have to do with us attempting to have a team in the women's football league?! Might as well throw in a casual commentary of what flavour Gatorade is most popular down at the club.

Honestly, this is just plain defamation IMO. It's implying sexism and discrimination on Riewoldt's part which from all the details they have listed appears to be NO evidence of. I have pretty strong feelings on equality and identify as a feminist as a part of that, it's plainly obvious that women have been second class citizens historically and there is still a lot of sexism in society. Which is why trying to label this s**t as sexist is frustrating; it makes actual cases of sexism be viewed with skepticism and doubt by some because of this ridiculousness and people will start associating complaints of inequality and sexism with pieces like this. That is to say they will look at sexism and gender inequality as a beatup that gets too much airtime and often lacks any credence, which is just not true.

This story and particularly the worst articles written on it tick the box for "crap" on so many levels. Absolute garbage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back