Roast Is anyone else disappointed with how the club treated Nick Riewoldt over the selfie saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how Kelley has become the brunt of St Kilda supporters aggression in relation to this "story".
What if your wife or daughter had a male workmate aggressively insult her for doing nothing more than a job she has been employed to do? Would you tell her she should be sacked or that her workmate was just being a great leader? Whether you agree with players interacting with fans after a game is irrelevant, its not about the fans directly in this incident.
I'll no doubt get shot down for this post but maybe Roo did the wrong thing? Maybe he's not perfect? Maybe he made a mistake which he later apologized for.
I don't think the story should have been on page 3 of a major paper but I also don't think blindly backing in somebody on the back of a second hand story is the right way to go either.
This should have stayed in house, but the fact that somebody from the club let Sam know shows me that maybe it was a big enough issue for some people at the club. It's also not Sam's fault that the HS put it on page 3.
Let's hope Roo plays a blinder tomorrow and a win makes this all go away.
Very good point, she has done nothing wrong at all

Ghost, what has the fact of Kelley being female got to do with the story? Was it a gender related remark? Seems like this staff member doesnt get the situation, not Nick. And did he actually insult her? Get the * off the ground is not an insult in my book, especially when said to the players. Seems like you know more than the report said.

And FS, if we need Roo to play well to beat Freo, we deserve to lose.

This should have stayed in house, but the fact that somebody from the club let Sam know shows me that maybe it was a big enough issue for some people at the club. It's also not Sam's fault that the HS put it on page 3.

gender should be irrelevant IMO so i wont comment on that part of your post as it doesnt help when it comes to equality

the part in bold is where the big issue is now IMO. disagree with your 2nd part though about it showing its serious

Funny how Kelley has become the brunt of St Kilda supporters aggression in relation to this "story".
What if your wife or daughter had a male workmate aggressively insult her for doing nothing more than a job she has been employed to do? Would you tell her she should be sacked or that her workmate was just being a great leader? Whether you agree with players interacting with fans after a game is irrelevant, its not about the fans directly in this incident.

This is where I think it gets a bit out of hand and why it was really, really stupid for anyone from the club to have leaked this.

Anyone with a passing interest in social issues , Twitter and the way of the world now knows that there a few issues and subject matters that the media love to jump onto because it causes "outrage". Feminism, due to the "third wave" of feminism leveraging Twitter and social media mobs is a favourite for the click-bait media right now as stories like this are guaranteed winners.

Yes Roo had an "outburst" at an employee. It happens in workplaces all the time. The problem I have is that this "outburst" is judged by all and sundry to have a gender/sexist element to it and then packaged to the media as such. And in this current outrage-loving media climate when it comes to gender issues, whoever it was that threw Roo under the bus from the club is, to put it bluntly, an idiot. Roo should never have been exposed like that for what is really a ridiculous beat-up.

This is where I think it gets a bit out of hand and why it was really, really stupid for anyone from the club to have leaked this.

Anyone with a passing interest in social issues , Twitter and the way of the world now knows that there a few issues and subject matters that the media love to jump onto because it causes "outrage". Feminism, due to the "third wave" of feminism leveraging Twitter and social media mobs is a favourite for the click-bait media right now as stories like this are guaranteed winners.

Yes Roo had an "outburst" at an employee. It happens in workplaces all the time. The problem I have is that this "outburst" is judged by all and sundry to have a gender/sexist element to it and then packaged to the media as such. And in this current outrage-loving media climate when it comes to gender issues, whoever it was that threw Roo under the bus from the club is, to put it bluntly, an idiot. Roo should never have been exposed like that for what is really a ridiculous beat-up.

nailed it mate! well said

gender should be irrelevant IMO so i wont comment on that part of your post as it doesnt help when it comes to equality

the part in bold is where the big issue is now IMO. disagree with your 2nd part though about it showing its serious

You're exactly right, gender has nothing to do with it. I'd be just as upset if my son was spoken to in the same way.
How can anyone apart from those involved at club know how serious it was? I don't think we can pass judgment on a second hand story from a newspaper is all I'll say. Nick is a champion player and a champion bloke, but he's not perfect and he has and will make mistakes. He's an extremely intense guy, occasionally to his detriment.
I wonder if St Kilda supporters reaction would be the same if Brendon Goddard or Luke Hodge did the same thing?
Im not sinking the boots in to Roo, I just think the way Kel has been represented and spoken about by supporters is totally unfair.

You're exactly right, gender has nothing to do with it. I'd be just as upset if my son was spoken to in the same way.
How can anyone apart from those involved at club know how serious it was? I don't think we can pass judgment on a second hand story from a newspaper is all I'll say. Nick is a champion player and a champion bloke, but he's not perfect and he has and will make mistakes. He's an extremely intense guy, occasionally to his detriment.
I wonder if St Kilda supporters reaction would be the same if Brendon Goddard or Luke Hodge did the same thing?
Im not sinking the boots in to Roo, I just think the way Kel has been represented and spoken about by supporters is totally unfair.

totally agree with the last part in bold

and i agree, we just dont know the details, but if it was serious my bet is they would have included it in the article as it would have driven more reader angst, instead of them copping it at the moment

it sounded like a heated exchange, happens all the time in workplaces. i dont see people then having to apologise in front of 50+ people and then have it plastered all over the papers. other point i'd make is that most people resolve these issues without bringing in their supervisor, they speak to each other after it occurred and an apology is usually made. only if the matter is very serious and couldnt be resolved on their own does it get escalated. i'd hate to be in a workplace, where every minor conflict was escalated up the line and then a public apology was made in front of the entire team. horrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a slight shift in the conversation, let me add this. Many here have complained about posters on here having meltdowns after some of our poor performances this year. I find it somewhat, um, ironic that many of those same posters are now defending Roo for having a similar meltdown for similar reasons.

Maybe, just maybe, our frustration emerged from feelings we share with arguably the greatest Saint of all time.

My response to the Sam Landsberger article:

"I am disappointed at the insinuation of gender bias in this article. It is more reasonable to accept that Riewoldt was disappointed by the performance of his team and that was on the forefront of his mind. Musster sounds as if she is being a bit precious here, but that just may be a result of the way it was reported. Who was it that insinuated the gender issue? Kelley Musster or Sam Landsberger? Whose agenda is it? What club might gain from creating a gender issue at St Kilda FC while they are in the process of seeking to host an inaugural AFLW team next year?"

I thought the club might have spun the bit about him being pissed at the performance and he just was wanting to head home, the older guys looked a bit embarrassed about it. Josh Bruce on the other hand was rocking his pink polaroid and the younger guys who are used to the selfie stuff looked like they were enjoying the interaction. It has been totally blown out of all proportion, Nick is an A grade on field leader and inspiring captain. He might have spoken disrespectfully to a staff member but he apologised and that's about all you can do besides not do it again. Bring on the footy.

My response to the article:

"I am disappointed at the insinuation of gender bias in this article. It is more reasonable to accept that Riewoldt was disappointed by the performance of his team and that was on the forefront of his mind. Musster sounds as if she is being a bit precious here, but that just may be a result of the way it was reported. Who was it that insinuated the gender issue? Kelley Musster or Sam Landsberger? Whose agenda is it? What club might gain from creating a gender issue at St Kilda FC while they are in the process of seeking to host an inaugural AFLW team next year?"
Herald Sun so are the Bombers after a AFLW team

"It is believed a frustrated Riewoldt disrespected Ms Musster when she asked him to fulfil his requirements.

In Ms Musster’s presence Riewoldt then told his teammates to “get the f--- off the ground” because he was incensed with the side’s performance, despite the big win.

The Saints are one of eight Victorian clubs lobbying hard for a licence in the new national women’s football league, to be launched next year."

He SWORE in the presence of a LAADDDYYYY?!?! And HOW exactly did he "disrespect" her? There's no detail on that. And to top that all off, what the **** does this have to do with us attempting to have a team in the women's football league?! Might as well throw in a casual commentary of what flavour Gatorade is most popular down at the club.

Honestly, this is just plain defamation IMO. It's implying sexism and discrimination on Riewoldt's part which from all the details they have listed appears to be NO evidence of. I have pretty strong feelings on equality and identify as a feminist as a part of that, it's plainly obvious that women have been second class citizens historically and there is still a lot of sexism in society. Which is why trying to label this s**t as sexist is frustrating; it makes actual cases of sexism be viewed with skepticism and doubt by some because of this ridiculousness and people will start associating complaints of inequality and sexism with pieces like this. That is to say they will look at sexism and gender inequality as a beatup that gets too much airtime and often lacks any credence, which is just not true.

This story and particularly the worst articles written on it tick the box for "crap" on so many levels. Absolute garbage.

Hadn't even heard of this until today, first heard reading the Sliding Doors to see what vomit Barrett was spewing this week, was quite confused and can't believe what I'm reading and hearing now.

Is it just me or is the whole "hey don't swear in the presence of a lady" thing MORE sexist then doing just that? Seems like it implies women are too weak to handle a few sounds which seems pretty belittling to me, the people needing to explain themselves are those who spew that crap, not those who speak as they normally would despite a *gasp* female being around.

Absolute joke.

My response to Susie O'Brien's article

"I've just reviewed Susie's twitter history and some of her contributions in the Herald Sun. She seems to have a very good record standing up for women and women's rights. I think she has ventured outside of her area of expertise to editorialise on the Riewoldt issue. In this particular case I think she simply got it wrong. Let's see if her ego will prevent her from considering this possibility. I hope not. He did comply and posed for selfies with fans. No disrespect for the fans. No disrespect for women. Just a perfectionist not allowing himself or his team to celebrate mediocrity."

Thinking about it more, I can actually see the other side. The reason for changing opinion is my memory of the start of the most recent season for Chelsea Football Club in the Premier League. Their celebrated manager Jose Mourinho made a similar outburst against the club doctor who had had the audacity to go into the field onto the pitch to treat one of their injured stars during one of their first few matches. The doctor in question was female and the ensuing brouhaha derailed the start of their season which was precarious enough already. For those who don't that league, the club's season panned out the same way they bottomed out. Some months later, the manager was sacked. The reasons for the sacking can't just be pinpointed on that one incident, but it certainly didn't help, and neither did the media storm that followed.

As a Liverpool supporter, I was happy to see Jose Mourinho cop what I thought was deserved criticism for being disrespectful to a member of staff who was just doing her job, and the fact that she was a woman only added to the sense of injustice, which thinking about it in light of these events seems ridiculous now, but that unfortunately is what many people would think.

The issue is essentially one of respect and how a very successful pro-athlete manages his intensity in the face of the demands of our modern day society. The gender issue cannot be denied either, however unjust it seems. It's not right, but it exists and no amount of angst will make it go away.

The secondary issue is the club leak and media reaction, and while Kildonian's theory seems a bit Tin Hat, I think it is totally valid, not that the greater public will see it that way, more's the pity.

I'll no doubt get shot down for this post but maybe Roo did the wrong thing? Maybe he's not perfect? Maybe he made a mistake which he later apologized for.
I don't think the story should have been on page 3 of a major paper but I also don't think blindly backing in somebody on the back of a second hand story is the right way to go either.

Agree with this. He acted inappropriately but has apologised so we don't hang him of course. Good people sometimes do bad things.

This doesn't cancel out him doing something wrong, but clearly he usually does things exactly right. Went looking for this article myself before I saw your post. Full text for anyone who's interested:

Nick Riewoldt, after a decade hiatus, finally rolled into Launceston and boldy declared: “I’m ready to play”.

He was nodding, not to shake off the ill effects of concussion, but to reassure fans’ questions over his fitness.

A lot has changed since the St Kilda champion last heard the cheers from the sidelines at Aurora Stadium. And the one-time Tasmanian was making up for lost time.

St Kilda’s legion of Tassie supporters, who outnumbered the hometown Hawks during Friday’s open-training ‘captain’s run’, lapped up their heroes signing autographs and posing for selfies.

The Saints players grudgingly walked off one after another 10 or 15 minutes after mixing with the public. But Riewoldt wouldn’t budge.

Nearly half an hour passed and he was the man every fan that bleeds red, white and black wanted to greet.

When a Saints official insisted it was time to to call it a day, that the bus was ready to head back to the team’s motel, Riewoldt refused to leave hundreds of fans waiting.

“I’ll run back later,” he was heard to say.

r272_212_4072_2571_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

POPULAR: St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt proves why he is as much of a champion off the field as he is on it, as he patiently embraces club fans in Launceston for his first appearance at Aurora Stadium in 10 years. Picture: Phillip Biggs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back