IS it time to move Rance into the middle and Elton to full back?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's possible that Rance could go alright as a mid. But he should be trained & tried there in Preseason not 6-7 rounds in. Also I was at the Nth game, he got a head injury within a few minutes of going into the middle. He scares me in traffic, not aware enough of his surrounds at times. May injure himself or someone else ? Took him a few seasons to become the backman he is. Won't really (I don't think) make an instant impact in the middle. But I have been known to be wrong:confused:

He probably could be serviceable in the guts as a big body type with plenty of agility. I just do not think he would have the relative pose and overall awareness and experience to be truely effective in comparison to a position at FB. So IMO could be okay in the middle but better FB.

Frankly I think at the margin his strengths particularly regarding powerful body size give him a better edge in the FB position than in the guts of the midfielder where the latter it is more about reach and nuos versus toughness and power or strength

Last edited:
Didn't Cloke have a field day against Rance last year? 5 goals in the first half or something...

From memory it was actually Chaplin that eventually put the brakes on him. I nearly fell off the Southern Stand in shock.

Pretty sure that was 2013 mate. 2014, Astbury took Cloke the Joke to the cleaners. Unfortunately for the Pies, the cleaners were unable to rub the crap out of Cloke's game. ;)

Elton deserves a few games though on form. Would love to see him McBean and young Ellis all come in this week...

We do not know if Rance is even playing for us next year!:rolleyes:

Furthermore, if Rance has to change and improvise for a few games during the game it is not going to kill us.

What if Elton turns out good but we let him go because we did not know what we had?

I am not even sure Elton might be a FB or backman. You could put Elton FB and Rance CHB or switch them around in the back line if you want and drop Chaplin or Grimes for a change up
We do if we put him in the midfield. The answer will be no.
You know what else won't kill us? Leaving players were the belong. Putting Rance in the midfield doesn't help us. Our number 1 defender becomes Chaplin, who has shown he doesn't do well in that roll. Its literally one of the stupidest moves we could do. Equal with Edwards into the Ruck and Cotchin as our full back.

Ahhhhh. What? You know we can put Elton in AND have Rance still playing in defense right? This isnt Highlander, there can be two defenders.

Putting Rance in the midfield doesn't help us. Our number 1 defender becomes Chaplin, who has shown he doesn't do well in that roll. Its literally one of the stupidest moves we could do. Equal with Edwards into the Ruck and Cotchin as our full back.

As stupid as this move?...

Round 22, 2009 vs St Kilda: Dean Bailey moved James Frawley off St Kilda forward Nick Riewoldt, despite Frawley having limited Riewoldt's effect on the game; he shifted Lynden Dunn onto Riewoldt, and Riewoldt kicked three goals before Frawley was reassigned to him; by that time, Melbourne was in a position where it was unable to win the match.

As stupid as this move?...

Round 22, 2009 vs St Kilda: Dean Bailey moved James Frawley off St Kilda forward Nick Riewoldt, despite Frawley having limited Riewoldt's effect on the game; he shifted Lynden Dunn onto Riewoldt, and Riewoldt kicked three goals before Frawley was reassigned to him; by that time, Melbourne was in a position where it was unable to win the match.
Yep. As stupid as a move that was purposely meant to lost them the game for draft picks.

Elton coming into the side along with Dea would allow Astbury to go forward and give the midfielders a leading target whilst also allowing Vlaustin to go in the guts . NOW GET IT DONE !
Always had the opinion that our best '3-pronged attack' doesn't consist of Vickery, rather Astbury. Jack deep, Griff as the man mountain and Astbury as a leading option - always creates space and makes defenders accountable.
Elton, Rance, Chaplin in defence. Long term, raffle it between Grimes/Batch as the third tall.

just putting this out there...

vlastuin 187
martin 187
menadue 187
c.ellis 184
mcintosh 192
lennon 188

probably just lacking one or two more mcintosh's height (but hard inside winners) but otherwise we are pretty good size wise. lets face it a few could develop into that role. losing jackson has just exposed that hole and lack of leadership. hence the targeting of selwood.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure that was 2013 mate. 2014, Astbury took Cloke the Joke to the cleaners. Unfortunately for the Pies, the cleaners were unable to rub the crap out of Cloke's game. ;)

Elton deserves a few games though on form. Would love to see him McBean and young Ellis all come in this week...

You're absolutely right NUFC. Time flies! But point being I'm not sure Rance is the man for Cloke. Probably a team job, with Astbury or Chaplin running with him and the rest of the defence dropping in front and not allowing them to isolate Cloke.

Rance = perfect replacement for Tuck or Dan Jackson

Elton (From the VFL report):
16 disposals, seven marks
Spent most of the game down back and was really solid defensively. Was up against a quality forward opponent in North Melbourne-listed Aaron Black, who’s played a fair bit of senior footy, and he did the job. Black had only eight or nine touches and didn’t have a shot for goal, so Todd played his role extremely well. Also took seven marks, with three or four of those being chop-out grabs. His game is really starting to build.
Only if and when we have the same quality replacement for Rance and others say he needs a preseason of training for the position but do agree a strong body like him is what we need.

vlastuin 187
martin 187
menadue 187
c.ellis 184
mcintosh 192
lennon 188

probably just lacking one or two more mcintosh's height (but hard inside winners) but otherwise we are pretty good size wise. lets face it a few could develop into that role. losing jackson has just exposed that hole and lack of leadership. hence the targeting of selwood.
Blichavs is playing midfield .
198 cms

vlastuin 187
martin 187
menadue 187
c.ellis 184
mcintosh 192
lennon 188

Vlas is a Backman even as a junior
Martin should be fwd
Menadue and Ellis are raw kids
Macintosh is serviceable
Lennon a flanker

Height is one thing but talent and playing in the right positions is another

Rance = perfect replacement for Tuck or Dan Jackson

Elton (From the VFL report):
16 disposals, seven marks
Spent most of the game down back and was really solid defensively. Was up against a quality forward opponent in North Melbourne-listed Aaron Black, who’s played a fair bit of senior footy, and he did the job. Black had only eight or nine touches and didn’t have a shot for goal, so Todd played his role extremely well. Also took seven marks, with three or four of those being chop-out grabs. His game is really starting to build.
I've mentioned this before and it is a really good observation but they have to do it and back him there . Not just throw him in there for a quarter when he's having a up and down game .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back