IS it time to move Rance into the middle and Elton to full back?

Remove this Banner Ad

This will work fine against teams that don't have monster forwards.

But a guy like Cloke, Hawkins, etc will kill Elton at this point of his career.

Give Toddy a few years of playing down back with Chappy and Rance, and when we're playing some weaker opponents, give Rance 3 quarters in the middle as a defensive mid, and gradually build Elton up.

It serves two purposes:

1) If Rance leaves this year, at least we aren't starting from scratch with Elton, and he's had some time to have a crack in the seniors.

2) If Rance stays beyond 2015, we have a plan B for when our mids are struggling, because we'll be able to chuck a big bodied guy in there to quell some of the damage.

Honestly, it wasn't the right play for today's game, but from a long term perspective, I actually like Hardwick's thinking here for once.

This will work fine against teams that don't have monster forwards.

But a guy like Cloke, Hawkins, etc will kill Elton at this point of his career.

Give Toddy a few years of playing down back with Chappy and Rance, and when we're playing some weaker opponents, give Rance 3 quarters in the middle as a defensive mid, and gradually build Elton up.

It serves two purposes:

1) If Rance leaves this year, at least we aren't starting from scratch with Elton, and he's had some time to have a crack in the seniors.

2) If Rance stays beyond 2015, we have a plan B for when our mids are struggling, because we'll be able to chuck a big bodied guy in there to quell some of the damage.

Honestly, it wasn't the right play for today's game, but from a long term perspective, I actually like Hardwick's thinking here for once.

That's what Big Ivan used to do...give us that crash and bash big bodied player in the mid field and ruck contests with his frame and second efforts...
Yesterday's game by Evannn was a return to his halcyon first season where he monstered the packs...
Evan lifted and Rance returned to the backline...
Not sure if Evannn can keep this up all season..TY must lift!!! and give Evannn a bigger chop out...

If sticking Rance in the middle (even in small stints) sways Rance in anyway to keep him playing footy next year, i'm ok with it.
Maybe Rance initiated the trial?

It was interesting that Dimmer has publicaly stated the need for a big bodied midfielder (i assume inside type). Maybe we combine Port style Robbie Gray (or is it Wingard) who starts on the HB line at the centre bounce, and basically just runs thru the square and keeps going (with or without ball) to the forward line. Reece McK could surely take out a few players on the way thru!! :)

We have at our disposal what all other clubs want "the AA fullback" and we want to change his to role?
If Rance is initiating change, maybe bursts at best through the guts, match ups permitting of course, otherwise leave him where he is at his dominant best. Groom McIntosh or Flossy for that bash and crash type mid role.

It's not a dumb idea other wise the golden child wouldn't have done it . Should of been practised over the pre season. All you guys have been calling out for since Jackson retired is a defensive mid . This guy is good enough to set up a half back line in the centre line against 65% of the teams we play against

For the record, I thought it was a good idea too. Worth a try. Seeing it play out there are just too many different skills required to turn Rance into a mid. And in hindsight Rance is just gold where he is in defence. We risk losing an AA defender who picks off oppo attacks at will and turn him into an OK mid that reverts to turnover merchant on ice skates.

But the best part of this is seeing you standing shoulder to shoulder with Hardwick. Gold. Two great minds...

Is Dimma trying to reinvigorate Rance's love of football by trying him in the middle?
Because why on earth wouldn't you be throwing Vlaustin in there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had zero problem with this decision...sure if it had of continued during the game it would have been madness...but it didn't.

We have problems with Rance...is he playing next year or not???? If he is, then we can gradually get game time into Elton if he deserves it.

If Rance is not playing, we need a new back line structure and best we start now working out what we need to find.

I saw a number of people here in with the "see that's crazy, he's an AA backman, ra ra ra"....but guess what...if he decides to play for GOD next year, then we need a CHB at tigerland

Question I have...was Elton overawed...or did he enjoy the contest?

For the record, I thought it was a good idea too. Worth a try. Seeing it play out there are just too many different skills required to turn Rance into a mid. And in hindsight Rance is just gold where he is in defence. We risk losing an AA defender who picks off oppo attacks at will and turn him into an OK mid that reverts to turnover merchant on ice skates.

But the best part of this is seeing you standing shoulder to shoulder with Hardwick. Gold. Two great minds...
And people say Dimma doesn't read big footy . Stole my idea as Astbury as a swingman against Brisbane and now Rance to the middle. How much of a dud is our coach when he takes ideas off a bloke that only played park footy till he was 28.

I'd still back the Rance idea but introduce it more steadily . The best thing about the wknd was the backing of youth . I expect Newman to come back through the VFL and never to play again.

I had zero problem with this decision...sure if it had of continued during the game it would have been madness...but it didn't.

We have problems with Rance...is he playing next year or not???? If he is, then we can gradually get game time into Elton if he deserves it.

If Rance is not playing, we need a new back line structure and best we start now working out what we need to find.

I saw a number of people here in with the "see that's crazy, he's an AA backman, ra ra ra"....but guess what...if he decides to play for GOD next year, then we need a CHB at tigerland

We need to get at least 15 games into Elton this year . That's including finals

I think there's an eye on th future here in regards to Chaplin.. If elton and astbury can take a key fwd each, rance then moves into chappys "spare" roll. I didn't think rance would ever b as good with th ball as he is, but IMO he's got to b an upgrade on tc.

I think there's an eye on th future here in regards to Chaplin.. If elton and astbury can take a key fwd each, rance then moves into chappys "spare" roll. I didn't think rance would ever b as good with th ball as he is, but IMO he's got to b an upgrade on tc.
spot on. Elton or Astbury have to take the gorillas and Rance can be third man up. We need his run and intercept work on a greater level while at the same time developing Elton & Astbury.

spot on. Elton or Astbury have to take the gorillas and Rance can be third man up. We need his run and intercept work on a greater level while at the same time developing Elton & Astbury.
We got to clear him out while these boys learn their craft . That was Eltons second game in his 4th year and his last was as a forward in 2012. Our coaching staff can not be serious . WTF goes on down there ?

To answer the Qn, you could look at the stats and say Cloke got 3 goals and on that Cloke only just won. So the experiment with Elton was worth it for the experience. A lot of clokes work was on half fwd. As far as Rance in the middle, I'm glad we made the move proactively, early in the game because our game style seems to have us losing first quarters and winning the later ones which is the way to win games (as long as you don't have the fade outs like in the north game)

Ta for the response!

To answer the Qn, you could look at the stats and say Cloke got 3 goals and on that Cloke only just won. So the experiment with Elton was worth it for the experience. A lot of clokes work was on half fwd. As far as Rance in the middle, I'm glad we made the move proactively, early in the game because our game style seems to have us losing first quarters and winning the later ones which is the way to win games (as long as you don't have the fade outs like in the north game)

Lol I finally watched the replay @ 430 today....nice way to start the day!

And people say Dimma doesn't read big footy . Stole my idea as Astbury as a swingman against Brisbane and now Rance to the middle. How much of a dud is our coach when he takes ideas off a bloke that only played park footy till he was 28.

I'd still back the Rance idea but introduce it more steadily . The best thing about the wknd was the backing of youth . I expect Newman to come back through the VFL and never to play again.

What's your next game plan recommendation RT??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back