DoggiesMate7

Debutant
May 22, 2008
Darwin
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I was looking through the past drafts and I saw something really interesting

2006 Draft 7 was Joel Selwood (Geelong)

2007 Draft 7 was Rhys Palmer (Fremantle)

These players all won the NAB Rising Star Award in their first year, could Daniel Rich be the third consecutive #7 Draft pick to win the NAB Rising Star in his first year?

If this did happen I would hate to be Freo, Essendon, Carlton and Port.

Thoughts?

Hmm you could be on to something.
Just bookmark it until the end of next year and we shall see!

2005 7 Patrick Ryder East Fremantle Football Club Essendon
2004 7 Jordan Lewis Geelong Falcons Hawthorn
2003 7 Kane Tenace Murray Bushrangers Geelong
2002 7 Andrew Mackie Glenelg Football Club Geelong
2001 7 David Hale Broadbeach Kangaroos

All won rising star awards not sure about amount of votes though.

2005 7 Patrick RyderEast Fremantle Football Club Essendon
2004 7 Jordan Lewis Geelong Falcons Hawthorn
2003 7 Kane Tenace Murray Bushrangers Geelong
2002 7 Andrew Mackie Glenelg Football Club Geelong
2001 7 David Hale Broadbeach Kangaroos

All won rising star awards not sure about amount of votes though.

Not sure where u got that info but these are the rising stars for those years or did u mean that they got nominations, anyway
2001 Justin Koschitzke (St Kilda)
2002 Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)
2003 Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)
2004 Jared Rivers (Melbourne)
2005 Brett Deledio (Richmond)

These players all won the NAB Rising Star Award in their first year, could Daniel Rich be the third consecutive #7 Draft pick to win the NAB Rising Star in his first year?

Thoughts?

My thoughts are theres 6 teams per year you'd hate to be.:rolleyes:

could be but dont think so
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thoughts?

If pick 7 really is lucky, then what can Freo, Essendon, Carlton and Port do about it (and why aren't Melbourne or West Coast in this??)? Working on the lucky pick theory, Freo could have taken Rich at 3 and Brisbane could have taken someone else at pick 7 and pick 7 would still win the award. :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

Why?

any of those four teams could still have a player that has a gun first year, and even turns out to be a better player than the nab rising star winner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the topic of Rising Star awards, what's the highest draft number to win one?

Adam Goodes @ 43, followed by Sam Mitchell @ 36 and Jared Rivers @ 27. Although Danyle Pearce was rookied originally from Port I believe, not even taken in the main draft.

Buckley and Michael Wilson won it when they were zone selected, and Ben Cousins won it after being selected under the father son rule outside the draft.

Thoughts?

Why???

Mids always come on quicker than talls and some come on quicker than others. I bet you that Essendon, Melbourne and West Coast wont give two rats that they passed on the rising star winner if they picked up a top quality Backman/Forward/Ruckman that will help the team in a crtical area for 10 years. The rising star award is nice thing to have but doesnt make you the best from that draft - Jarred Rivers is a perfect example.

How many teams would prefer to have Deledio over Franklin. Not a knock on Deledio in any way but I dont think a single side (including Richmond) would pass on Franklin again.

I reckon Pick 7 is the equilibrium point between potential and revealed football ability. I reckon a lot of potential is just picking guys because look dangerous on paper and on the assumption that they will develop other aspects, whereas the guys that fall to this pick have obvious football abilities that have already presented themselves and don't dissappear.

Just a theory - maybe someone who is more skilled in understanding what goes on in recruiters minds might be able to elaborate on this point.

I think people will probably go a little crazy on this lucky number next year, because Rich is a very strong chance to make it 3 in a row.

Ever heard of a thing called coincidence though?

Why???

Mids always come on quicker than talls and some come on quicker than others. I bet you that Essendon, Melbourne and West Coast wont give two rats that they passed on the rising star winner if they picked up a top quality Backman/Forward/Ruckman that will help the team in a crtical area for 10 years.

Yeah thats true, I don't know why Essendon are copping so much flack about it, when 5 other teams passed and we didn't even take a player remotely similar. If anyone should be pissed it should be Carlton/Freo/Port.

Adam Goodes @ 43, followed by Sam Mitchell @ 36 and Jared Rivers @ 27. Although Danyle Pearce was rookied originally from Port I believe, not even taken in the main draft.

Buckley and Michael Wilson won it when they were zone selected, and Ben Cousins won it after being selected under the father son rule outside the draft.

Byron Pickett @ 67 in the 1996 National Draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back