Is THIS what the AFL wanted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Garbage!! What is happening now is concealing the fact free agency is working well for Hawthorn (hats off to you) and Collingwood, i.e., the power-clubs

Hawthorn:

Free agency outs: Franklin (plus Ellis, Young and Murphy). Received a bag of chips.

Free agency ins: Frawley (Dees receive pick 3) and Simpkin.

Hawks are behind in free agency on both player quality and relative compensation.

Last edited:
Interesting article in The Age today:

Next year Tom Hawkins is a free agent when his contract expires. Until now a club like Geelong would have commenced negotiating a new contract, but as Michael Gleeson writes, the Tom Boyd case has thrown this convention out the window:

"Where do you start? A week ago, you might have known where to start. A week ago, Hawkins and his manager might have known where to start. Not now. Not since the Western Bulldogs committed to paying Tom Boyd millions for what they hope he will do and not for what he has done.

If Boyd after nine games and eight goals can be paid between $6 million and $7 million, then what is Hawkins worth? What is the right price to pay for a player who has won two premierships, been All-Australian, won the club's best and fairest and has three times been its leading goalkicker? What do you pay the player who led the competition for contested marks last season? How much for the man who, at 26, is in his prime after 147 games and 286 goals?"

Who is responsible for creating this monster?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ISP006&promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=Mzc4ODEyMA

Hawthorn:

Free agency outs: Franklin (plus Ellis, Young and Murphy). Received a bag of chips.

Hawks are behind in free agency on both player quality and relative compensation.

If Hawthorn didn't want Melbourne to receive pick 3 they shouldn't have dropped $2.2m on a 4 year deal.
Plus it's the same compensation they received for Franklin i.e. a 1st Round pick.

Hawthorn:

Lake was technically a trade in the same way that Monfries was. You'd never have gotten Lake that cheaply pre-free agency.

That said, all the sooking about Hawthorn having advantages is loser talk. Hawthorn have advantages because they've built themselves from the ground up into the best club in the league. Other clubs can have a cry about how good Hawthorn are or they can work hard, get the right people in the right roles and turn their club into the next Hawthorn.

Next year Tom Hawkins is a free agent when his contract expires. Until now a club like Geelong would have commenced negotiating a new contract, but as Michael Gleeson writes, the Tom Boyd case has thrown this convention out the window:

"Where do you start? A week ago, you might have known where to start. A week ago, Hawkins and his manager might have known where to start. Not now. Not since the Western Bulldogs committed to paying Tom Boyd millions for what they hope he will do and not for what he has done.

If Boyd after nine games and eight goals can be paid between $6 million and $7 million, then what is Hawkins worth? What is the right price to pay for a player who has won two premierships, been All-Australian, won the club's best and fairest and has three times been its leading goalkicker? What do you pay the player who led the competition for contested marks last season? How much for the man who, at 26, is in his prime after 147 games and 286 goals?"

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ISP006&promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=Mzc4ODEyMA

If Geelong are swayed into paying Hawkins more cash because of what the Dogs are paying Boyd, then they're doing it wrong.

When the AFL introduced free agency did it envisage a succession of contracted players would suddenly and seemingly unexpectedly become disgruntled and ask to be traded? I'm sure not. Free agency this year has been overshadowed by controversy after controversy this week. We weren't entirely surprised to hear Paddy Ryder wanted out of Essendon. But to hear Dayne Beams, the Pies No.2 player, wanted out, hotly followed by "Bundy" Christensen, and now Ryan Griffen. And to hear talk of Cooney, Lonergan, and possibly Rance being targeted, where will it end?

Meanwhile, Hawthorn is quietly and confidently replenishing its stocks and all but guaranteeing 3peat in 2015
I haven't read any of the 6 pages but what has free agency got to do with some players doing what more than just a few past players have also done?

Who pays for past performance. You pay for what they will deliver under their future term.

When the AFL introduced free agency did it envisage a succession of contracted players would suddenly and seemingly unexpectedly become disgruntled and ask to be traded? I'm sure not. Free agency this year has been overshadowed by controversy after controversy this week. We weren't entirely surprised to hear Paddy Ryder wanted out of Essendon. But to hear Dayne Beams, the Pies No.2 player, wanted out, hotly followed by "Bundy" Christensen, and now Ryan Griffen. And to hear talk of Cooney, Lonergan, and possibly Rance being targeted, where will it end?

Meanwhile, Hawthorn is quietly and confidently replenishing its stocks and all but guaranteeing 3peat in 2015

Sweet!....Don't often agree with anything you have to say Sttew, but this here is nectar from the Gods!:D

I haven't read any of the 6 pages but what has free agency got to do with some players doing what more than just a few past players have also done?
IMO, FA has shifted the power to players. Do you think it is coincidence that the incidence of contracted players wanting out has increased? Its as though players can no longer wait for FA to kick in; they want it now.

Shits me to no end hearing people talk about how Hawks get all the advantages. The Swans with Cola, fine, there's an argument there. But with the Hawks, they are the best run club in the League. That's why they kick arse and why they are the ones to beat. If you don't like it, send an email to your club president and stop the bitching about the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shits me to no end hearing people talk about how Hawks get all the advantages. The Swans with Cola, fine, there's an argument there. But with the Hawks, they are the best run club in the League. That's why they kick arse and why they are the ones to beat. If you don't like it, send an email to your club president and stop the bitching about the AFL.

Not to mention the fact that we've had to overcome the toughest draws for the past 4 years running!!!:eek:.....Meanwhile in Sydney town!

IMO, FA has shifted the power to players. Do you think it is coincidence that the incidence of contracted players wanting out has increased? Its as though players can no longer wait for FA to kick in; they want it now.
IMO there hasn't been an increase.
Having a couple of high profile players asking to move at the same time may have given the wrong impression.

Having players wanting to move from clubs that are usually the recipients of players that want to move, has certainly made the reporting go over the top.
By that I mean having Anthony Rocca wanting to move from what was then lowly Sydney to Collingwood equated to little "understandable" stir.
If Rocca had wanted to move from Collingwood to Sydney it would have been an absolute outrage and something would have been blamed for causing it to "unfairly" happen as "nobody in their right mind would want to do that in normal circumstances".

Ryder, Beams and Christensen did not ask to move because if FA. Gorringe was hoping for more gametime as he is about 4th or 5th in line at GC and Port only had one fit ruckman at the time.
Boyd did what many 1st year draftees have done in the past including Buckley, and Griffen wanted out and GWS took advantage of the opportunity.

Now the compo picks for FA is another story all together.

Not to mention the fact that we've had to overcome the toughest draws for the past 4 years running!!!:eek:.....Meanwhile in Sydney town!
You're doing well because your off field rocks.

As far as the draw goes all teams have the same rules depending on where they finish PLUS the unpredictability of how well their must play blockbuster/Showdown/Darby opponents are going.

When the AFL introduced free agency did it envisage a succession of contracted players would suddenly and seemingly unexpectedly become disgruntled and ask to be traded?

Logic says if a player is uncontracted, they should be able to leave via free agency, leaving only contracted players as the ones tradeable. That's not exactly how it works at the moment, but that's how it should be.

I think a number of us are being caught in the moment. Players have walked out of clubs before and star players (and captains) have requested trades. The AFL needed to introduce some free agency as there was always the threat of players arguing for restraint of trade in their employment. If that was to happen the whole system would crumble and we would have an EPL set-up. Free agency was the AFL getting in early so the whole fabric of the system would not be destroyed.

As been pointed out, a number of clubs who have supposedly 'benefited' from free agency have also seen other required players leave.

Finally, as much as I love club loyalty, I would hate to imagine that I am required to stay in my place of employment because my company picked me 8 years ago. If I missed my family or Dad was sick or for any other reason why shouldn't I exercise some ability to leave.
When non footballers leave jobs for that reason, you can't always find an equivalent job - sometimes a career change occurs. So if you have to leave there's no obligation on the club to help you - it might cost you your afl career.

The AFL and the AFLPA - they've allowed some clubs to become favoured clubs, both by the AFL and the players. Want success, primetime fixtures, decent timezones, play in front of large crowds all the time, or an additional 10% in the cap and therefore your salary ? Move to a big club, we'll make sure you're looked after.

This, combined with the introduction of the two expansion clubs, reduced access to talented players via the draft during this period, the expansion clubs ability to recruit players while still under contract - has weakened several clubs significantly. Particularly when the AFL don't prevent a) repeat raiding on the same club by both expansion sides and b) repeat raiding in the years following point a) by the very same clubs.

So, when you introduce FA into the mix - players are refusing to stay at the weaker clubs and good players are walking. Because they can. We've had Lake threaten to leave under FA, and now Griffen achieve the same thing.

So what are the poorer clubs to do ? Just sit and wither and die ? Or think outside the box, be bold and creative - with a significant risk attached ?

I'm yet to see one person come up with an alternate plan the Dogs should have adopted in the trade period. What should we have done differently ? Ignore the coaching flip flop - once Griffen and the others announced their intention to leave - what should we have done ???

Yep there are some big names in next year's free agency.

ADELAIDE
Patrick Dangerfield
Richard Douglas
Taylor Walker

BRISBANE
Jed Adcock
Matthew Leuenberger

CARLTON
Matthew Kreuzer

COLLINGWOOD
Brent Macaffer

ESSENDON
Brent Stanton
Tom Bellchambers

FREMANTLE
Michael Johnson
Paul Duffield

GEELONG
Tom Hawkins
Andrew Mackie

Mathew Stokes

HAWTHORN
Matthew Suckling

MELBOURNE
Colin Garland
Nathan Jones

NORTH MELBOURNE
Andrew Swallow
Robbie Tarrant

PORT ADELAIDE
Robbie Gray
Matthew Lobbe

RICHMOND
Trent Cotchin
Alex Rance

ST KILDA
Sam Gilbert
Jack Steven

WEST COAST
Scott Selwood

The AFL and the AFLPA - they've allowed some clubs to become favoured clubs, both by the AFL and the players. Want success, primetime fixtures, decent timezones, play in front of large crowds all the time, or an additional 10% in the cap and therefore your salary ? Move to a big club, we'll make sure you're looked after.

This, combined with the introduction of the two expansion clubs, reduced access to talented players via the draft during this period, the expansion clubs ability to recruit players while still under contract - has weakened several clubs significantly. Particularly when the AFL don't prevent a) repeat raiding on the same club by both expansion sides and b) repeat raiding in the years following point a) by the very same clubs.

So, when you introduce FA into the mix - players are refusing to stay at the weaker clubs and good players are walking. Because they can. We've had Lake threaten to leave under FA, and now Griffen achieve the same thing.

So what are the poorer clubs to do ? Just sit and wither and die ? Or think outside the box, be bold and creative - with a significant risk attached ?

I'm yet to see one person come up with an alternate plan the Dogs should have adopted in the trade period. What should we have done differently ? Ignore the coaching flip flop - once Griffen and the others announced their intention to leave - what should we have done ???

Your club is an example of how to manage it. Your vfl kids were very impressive. Good times coming

FA is just a disaster for us in the West. When a guy only has to move from the MCG to Waverley (Frawley) or Visy Park to Arden St (Waite) to further their career, we sit clearly behind the 8 ball. Most times even an extra 100k per year would not be enough to draw those sorts away from their home state. Meanwhile, we will encounter incredible difficulty in holding players from the east coast with little more than faith in their loyalty. But it's hardly surprising that a Victorian guy would be considering heading home to a choice of ten clubs to finish his career with a big bonus pay-packet too. It's not the eastern states clubs fault by any means - just a fact of life that the pull of home is gonna be harder for us to counter with the ratio of Victorian players naturally being so much higher than the reverse ratio of west aussies in the east. I suspect Freo will start heading down the same road as the eagirls who have predominately drafted players from the west in an effort to short-circuit the future go home factor.

One other thing that really bothers me is that 16 other clubs who have had absolutely nothing to do with a FA deal are usually penalised by having their draft picks shifted back a space so the club losing a player can be compensated! How the fugg does that work? Surely there must only be a penalty against the receiving club? Perhaps a trade of picks between those two clubs should be adjudicated upon. An example: Instead of Melbourne receiving pick 3 for the Frawley thing outright, perhaps they could've received hawks first and second picks in exchange for Dees third and fourth pick (don't analyse that particular scenario too much, but something like that anyway). Other clubs not penalised and there is some thinking to be done before the receiving club decides to finalise the deal.

If someone tries to take the AFL to court Bosman style, you can be reasonably confident they'll win. Sure the evidence isn't binding, but it'll be considered strongly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back