Autopsy Jack Redden Requests Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Said it before, saying it again - draft a local, every pick, irrespective of their position and perceived capacity.

If the thought amongst non-locals (ie, draft day hopefuls) is "I don't wanna go there", then let's take a long term view and simply go local. I don't buy the whole "local blokes aren't as good" rubbish. How do you know unless you give them a crack for a start? Secondly, who cares? WE ARE LAST. If they play with passion and pride and fire, those attributes are pretty much what we lack in EVERY position.

The club needs to stand for local boys or it continues to flounder as a boat with a single oar, going in circles.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand WHY the club DOESN'T do this - surely having local fellas on display, weekly, can only be good for the game up here? Again, after the seasons we have had...who cares where we finish next year? If we win 4 games, we will have improved. If we get flogged, at least we will yet be demonstrating a path of genuine sustainability across season to season.

What do we stand for in the league now? We are a FIFO contract essentially. No wonder we are garbage. This has ALWAYS been the case, and it was recognised that as such we had to pay better dollars to get blokes to stay. No dollars now, so no blokes. Good, piss 'em off.

Go local, yes we'll get beaten, but at least I can see local guys having a crack with guts and passion. And that will do - leave the spin to the newspapers.

As to the club, put some roots down. It's way past time this club in this city was paying it's way and not reliant on AFL dollars - because when you are in someone's pocket, that usually comes with strings. So stop pussyfooting around the question of being an "expansionist team" and simply say..."No, we prioritise local blokes."

As I have stated elsewhere, I would ALSO classify as local for drafting purposes, a geographical area in Fitzroy and surrounds as well. Yes, it has no legality, but who the **** cares? It's a PR thing, mark it on a map, distribute it, talk about it. We have a spiritual bond that needs to be recognised as well. Too much do we seem to initiate as knee jerk reactions, limited vision, 3 year stuff. What's the 10 year goal? 25? 50? Anyone????

The AFL snaffled Riewoldt from us, as we would have had priority on him when we ALSO had a young bloke called Brown running about. This state DOES produce players, but plenty get missed because either the rules get changed (s**t happens) or we just go with the "tried and true drafting of best player in position".

Yep, that's workin' a TREAT.

The long and short of it is that I basically agree with you.....Zorko won't be the only good player up there, running around in the local league. Lets look for them.

..would love to start doing things OUR way, not just follow the pack, but I guess it's a vicious circle, we need the AFL, so have to follow their rules atm...

The day we can be an independent thinking club on all levels can't come soon enough..

The problem is WCE have some of the worst training facilities in the league as well and look at how they're going. Its all part of the problem but I'm not sure how high on the list training facilities are as a contributing factor for what we're seeing at the lions currently.
Richest team in the AFL -> worst training facility. :rolleyes:

Something needs to change, I'm not sure what, but something big to change the minds of these players. Speculation is that the Eagles are the preferred destination for Redden. I'm sick of pouring my membership money into the club, only for it to be a feeder club to bigger clubs in the league to prop them up.

I thought the arrival of Swann and Lethal would change something, but has it gotten worse? It's not even the end of the season yet, and there are already rumours of unrest, players wanting to leave before their contract. Pretty piss poor from Redden and his management, could have at least waited till the end of the season.

No idea what will transpire this off-season/trade period, but I think there will be a twist somewhere.

So if Redden wants to head to the Weagles, what are the likely trades? I'd estimate Redden's worth is similar to that of Greenwood, so a pick in the 20s seems right. Would Brisbane offer a sweetener to nab WCE's first rounder, or would WCE send steak knives to get it done with their second rounder? Scooter's on the way out and Priddis won't be around forever, so I assume WCE would be interested.

No idea, a pick 20-25 sounds about right for Redden.

But after what they gave up in trade for Yeo, I'm sure we'll like to screw them over.

Something needs to change, I'm not sure what, but something big to change the minds of these players. Speculation is that the Eagles are the preferred destination for Redden. I'm sick of pouring my membership money into the club, only for it to be a feeder club to bigger clubs in the league to prop them up.

I thought the arrival of Swann and Lethal would change something, but has it gotten worse? It's not even the end of the season yet, and there are already rumours of unrest, players wanting to leave before their contract. Pretty piss poor from Redden and his management, could have at least waited till the end of the season.

No idea what will transpire this off-season/trade period, but I think there will be a twist somewhere.
We seriously are in need of a big assistant package from the AFL...Money to help pay off debt or w/e isnt enough...We need a PP, retention allowance of 500-750k...Will be hard with the Fascist Eddie in charge

The long and short of it is that I basically agree with you.....Zorko won't be the only good player up there, running around in the local league. Lets look for them.

..would love to start doing things OUR way, not just follow the pack, but I guess it's a vicious circle, we need the AFL, so have to follow their rules atm...

The day we can be an independent thinking club on all levels can't come soon enough..

The concept of growing our own and then harnessing the talent is an admirable one but is it a realistic goal?

I just can't see it.

Whilst participation in the game is growing here in Queensland, it's never going to become #1 in the State.

That being the case, we are in a completely different position to the SA and WA clubs, where Aussie Rules still dominates and where the talent pool is undoubtedly so much larger. I don't know what the percentages are but I'd be surprised if even 30% of underage "footballers" are exposed to our code at any meaningful level, given the dominance of the NRL. Not to mention the growing popularity of Soccer. Even Rugby Union would be taking up a significant chunk of kids and teenagers.

Unless some miraculous transformation occurs, it's always going to be a battle for AFL to get the sort of quantity of youth available in the traditional Footy States

Redden wants a trade....good.

Let me guess the club wanted to pay him what he was worth instead of the overs he was on, he cracks it and wants out.

Now we'll hear some tripe about this and that and whats wrong with the club....spare me, play a decent game once and a while and you'll get paid what you are worth.

See ya. We have him covered. I'd be more upset if the other rumours are true that Stef and Zorko also want out. Then i'd be p!ssed.

Leaks out of our club are common aren't they.

So much love for Rocky. He is the sort of leader we want. From this article:

Rockliff has been best mates with Redden since the pair joined the club before the 2009 season and said he had done everything possible to change the South Australian's mind.

Rockliff said he spent all of Monday afternoon and evening trying to convince Redden to stay, but without luck.

He said he would “swap salaries” to keep Redden at the Gabba.

Also, looks like Redden has formally requested a trade with a year left.

Redden spoke to coach Justin Leppitsch on Tuesday and formally requested to be traded with one year remaining on his contract.

However, he offered the club a glimmer of hope by saying things had improved since a heart-to-heart between the pair recently.

Lions CEO Greg Swann said now they had been made aware of Redden’s concerns, he had hope the relationship could be improved and they could convince the midfielder to stay.

But the Lions skipper admitted he was concerned others may follow suit.

When Rocky is worried, I am worried.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judgement day is this coming monday, this is when we will know for sure who wants out, before that its all speculation.

Precisely. Rocky must be pissed.

Who knows but I think Leppa has told Reddo where he stands and Reddo has felt hurt by that so wants to leave. I reckon we offered him a contract but the $$ weren't up to what Reddo thinks he is worth.

Just the way Rocky was saying about swapping salaries makes me think this is a bit about $$ in the next contract.
I tend to agree, Reddo is getting paid overs and he can see reality biting in the next year or two once these younger guys get up to speed. IMO by putting himeself on the market he is maximising his earning potential before his star begins to dwindle.

Exactly what i said. He was getting overs now he is getting offered what he is worth so his cracked it and will make up some story to make is exit excusable.

This is one part that angers me.......even if we offered him only 100,000 - 150,000 dollars, that's still a lot of money for anyone, let alone a kid in his twenties doing what he loves for a living..

..they seem to lose a sense of reality imo.

My concerns are about why players want to leave. Rumours of Mayes and Papps also not being happy and maybe wanting to leave is not good. If Leppa is the issue then what is going on. Curiously he was highly regarded at Richmond and got on really well with the players. Over the last few years we have been the club that players are leaving, more so than any other club. Players not getting on with the coach is not uncommon but we seem to have a larger amount at the moment. There is a negative image around the club and for the last couple of years I've gone to forums to listen to the coach/management etc tell me things are on the way up. It's hard to see where that is at. I'm feeling really uneasy about my club at the moment and sick of reading negative press and hearing about players wanting to leave. Something needs to get sorted.

Despite all the Pies v lions angst over Beams, and the scars of 02/03, as a passionate Aussie rules person who spent 10 years in brissie I hate what is happening with the lions. I know how important a successful lions is to afl in Queensland, and I hope like hell the club gets itself together quickly.

I do laugh at my fellow pies supporters bagging Leppitsch, speculating about how players don't get on with him and that it is all his fault. Same supporters would have been railing against the stories about Bucks and his relationship with the players they walked out the door.

Get the best you can at the trade table, draft well, undertake an honest assessment of any cultural or relationship issues and work hard. Things can turn around quickly, and a strong performing lions side is good for football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back