James Davies to Essendon - What a surprise !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
15 other clubs had the chance to pick him.

Essendon were going to pick Cornes, Sheedy wanted him but Dodoro over-ruled him and he picked Davies because Cornes is a bit of a mummy's boy and most likely would of ran back to Adelaide at the first chance and Dodoro wouldn't take that risk on a 1st round pick.

It was great from a QLDers point of view to see Essendon pick up young Michael Davis. Great Kid, from Morningside in QLD (same club as the Voss boys). Got a good round of applause up here when you guys announced him.

hey it appears "skills" has popped by to visit our new home !!!

Hope to hear more from ya.

smile.gif

I concur with Arch and Dan 24- Welcome RC!!

On the Draft:

I was suprised that Sheedy was so keen on Cornes. I wouldn't have touched him with a ten foot barge pole- a certain candidate for ""Jeff White Syndrome."

Seeing Michael Davis's reaction reminded me of Rama and his folks on "The Draft." Priceless moment!! Second, off course, to THE priceless moment in this year''s draft; the reaction of the Carlton table when the Roos snaffled Sav. HA HA HA HA HA!!

Walshy,

Read some of the previous posts, specifically those by Dan, Arch and me, and guess who Wayne Otway is??

This might answer your question.

[This message has been edited by James2 (edited 29 October 2000).]

james2- i was unfortunate enough to miss that draft show on ch2, but did hear that rama was going nuts at his mum because they couldnt get a good reception on the tv !!!

You wouldnt be able to just re-cap exactly what happened with rama ????

(i also missed the draft this morning as I was nursing a nasty hangover- uugghhhh
frown.gif

A.

Arch
Me too, bloody karoake. Lol., They don't even have the music for the Bombers theme song, not that I needed it. Ha Ha

------------------
Mantis

Arch,

Rama did go a bit nuts, but I would guess it was more to do with nerves, then Adam being generally rude and obnoxious.

To re-cap(sorry if this reads like a story);

First, the television- a fairly old model with rabbit ears, loses reception.

AR orders his folks to "FIX IT!!!"

Secondly, the volume on the television is too loud.

"JESSS MUM, HOW LOUD DO YOU WANT IT???" retorts Rama.

Then, there was the congratulations from the relies, but that can wait for another time...

Hope that helps???

Cheers

J2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cheers for that james- I must find a way to get a vid copy of that show. Was rama pretty stoked when he heard it was Essendon who drafted him ????What was the reaction from the family etc ???

DRT- we're on about a doco type show on channel 2 which followed three young footballers (rama,des headland & favola (i think)) before they got drafted, and showed everything they went through etc etc.

Rocca is a dud who we dont need at North..that gives us Burton,Calthorpe,Olaranshaw and now Rocca..what is going on?
We will start with a list of 34..very hard to win a flag with four passengers.Pike was more value than these above mentioned clowns.Dylan Smith and Motlop were good pickups although a mate of who follows the U18's reckons carlton got the best player in
Luke Livingston ..reckons he is better value than Riewoldt cos he is super quick for a big guy and more mature.

While it is interesting that Davies has ended up at Essendon, I doubt there is anything sinister involved. He was never thought of as a top 10 pick and every club did have an opportunity.

I do however think the kid has put a fair bit of pressure on himself. Not the kind of pressure that Nick Riewoldt is under, but a kind that he has brought upon himself.

I know Essendon fans are going to disagree with me but I do not like the attitude of a player who considers himself too good for certain clubs. To deny some teams the opportunity of an interview is the ultimate height of arrogance. I can understand a young player reluctant to travel interstate but I find this issue completely different.

And no Dan, this is not the "Tall poppy syndrome" like you said in the other post. Anyway, I don't set out to agree with everyone in all my posts. If it means stepping on a few toes, I will do it.
wink.gif

Barney, while Livingston is more mature in body at this stage of proceedings I can't agree that he's better value.

Riewoldt is the worth #1 choice, although it will take him longer to develop physically.

The speed arguement is not really relevant as Riewoldt outmarks his opponents with ease & is exceptional overhead, on the lead & in the air.

Riewoldt is the same speed at the 20m mark.

Savatage,have not seen either Riewoldt or Livingston play..I'm just going on the reports of a friend who has seen them play and is a big fan of Livingston..reckons as an athlete he leaves Riewoldt standing..not that
tells you much about football ability..should be some contest if they both get to play on each other.

Dont know how much was in it, but according to a mate, the Dons were very keen on Ashley (Coreys bro) McGrath being their first pick in the draft.

Obviously the Bears put the kibosh on any chance of that happening, still makes you wonder what may have been......

Sainter,

From all reports, this James Davies is a natural leader and has a very strong character. Just the type of players Sheedy wants at Essendons. He was captian of his school and by all reports has all the desire that one could want.

We don't really know who said what things to the other prospective clubs. After all, the AFL cleared Davies and Essendon of draft tampering.

But what I do know is that Sheedy likes to pick a player on his character and desire. In the draft, you would make a logical assumption that "all" players have a degree of skill. But if they are supremely skillful, it means squat if their attitude and desire isn't there.

I'm confident that Davies fits the mould of what Sheedy thinks an Essendon player should be.

When we picked Chris Heffernan, one of his attributes was his ability to perform in big games. True to is word, he was best on ground in his first finals match for Essendon in 1998 after being selected 2 years earlier.

We also selected a palyer called Mark Bullen in yesterday's draft. This player, by all reports, plays well in big games, and this apparently shows he has a strong character. I'm confident our selections will hold us in good stead. History shows a few selections will fail, but that's life.

But as for James Davies. I don't think we can assume anything about him in regards to underhand dealings. Anyone who is captain of their school, and a natural leader, as well a having a huge desire to play footy, will make some sort of an impact, I'm sure. Hoping, anyway.

I like the Sheedy approach to mental toughness. Watching "The Draft" is was obvious by a mile that young Adam Rama' was very mature & focused & that Des Headland was naturally gifted but seemed to be about 17 going on 14 mentally.

Anyone in the top 20-30 will be OK, it's what up top that counts.

The Don's must know something about the kid. Very highly rated midfielder/forward schoolboy star at 190cm! Koutafides like model, bring it on!

They got their man, which makes me happy. If anything we needed another midfielder/forward.

Is it just a coincidence that Essendon's 2nd pick also comes from Xavier and didn't attend the draft camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back