James Frawley to Fremantle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're just making shyte up. You have no idea like the rest of us.
I think he has a fair idea.

The probability of McPharlin playing next year is decreasing every game he plays. The club must plan for that. If Frawley is part of that plan then good.

I think he has a fair idea.

The probability of McPharlin playing next year is decreasing every game he plays. The club must plan for that. If Frawley is part of that plan then good.

And that is fair enough. Too many people talk in absolutes about stuff like this.

You did it two posts ago!

You said Frawley was bog average. So if 70% of players are bog average, 15% are above average and 15%are below average?

No I didn't. The vast majority of players are grouped as average footy players.

Some, a small percentage, are considered as poor, and will get cut from the lists and a few, (far too many in some peoples minds), are genuine stars of the competition.

Tweak my math, I don't care...but something like this??

Genuine elite... 5%
A graders ... 10%
B Graders, (average), 70%
C Graders, (cut material), 15 %

No I didn't. The vast majority of players are grouped as average footy players.

Some, a small percentage, are considered as poor, and will get cut from the lists and a few, (far too many in some peoples minds), are genuine stars of the competition.

Tweak my math, I don't care...but something like this??

Genuine elite... 5%
A graders ... 10%
B Graders, (average), 70%
C Graders, (cut material), 15 %

Maybe you should replace the word average with ordinary (that's the joke).

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Slicked and dicked rightly views player talent as a power law function, not normal distribution.

If I was going to pick a player who could play until he is Dustin Fletcher's age, I'd choose Michael Johnson.

I'd agree with that as well.

However, if McPharlin plays on for an extra year, that is a further year of development for the Tanner Smith's and A. Pearce's of our list and an extra year to grab a player who is not even on our radar as of yet.

This whole, hysterical (we need moar KPP's NAOW!), thing has been ongoing since the Darling/Pitt selection. Yet we still improve year by year and draft in/ buy talls.

My original point is that Frawley really isn't that good for the money that was being touted, (yes, he has denied that was true), but plenty here were advocating paying him what we pay a guy like Fyfe because that is what the market dictated.

The market dictates that I can buy a shitbox house in City Beach for $2.5 million, that doesn't mean that I'll buy it though.

Maybe you should replace the word average with ordinary (that's the joke).

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I have switched off my sense of humour this morning.

Slicked and dicked rightly views player talent as a power law function, not normal distribution.

Clogged and bogged?

Clogged and slogged?

This whole, hysterical (we need moar KPP's NAOW!), thing has been ongoing since the Darling/Pitt selection. Yet we still improve year by year and draft in/ buy talls.

Probably before that considering some of the angst displayed when picking Fyfe over Aaron Black.

Although saying that, it would've been nice to have had a KPF who kept Lake honest last year :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have done, over a number of years, and he just a mediocre footballer.

Not poor, not flash, just bog average.

However, there's nothing wrong with that, 70% of players are bog average.
So glad you're not our recruiting manager then. He may not be classed in the top 50 players in the league. But he certainly lands in the top half dozen KPDs in the league . Just so happens that we could do with another one of those..... whether you think so or not! Bondy's tentacles will be all over him right now.

So glad you're not our recruiting manager then. He may not be classed in the top 50 players in the league. But he certainly lands in the top half dozen KPDs in the league . Just so happens that we could do with another one of those..... whether you think so or not! Bondy's tentacles will be all over him right now.

And I'm glad that you're not my accountant.

But you make a hell of a psychic.

The top 6 in the league huh?

We've got 2 who s**t all over him and I'm certain that scratching up another 4 wouldn't be too difficult at all.

I have to confess that the state of our back line is what induces raised blood pressure and all that goes with it.

By and large we can manage with Pav missing to quote RTB "Its not ideal but ...". We don't really have a second recognised tall forward but usually the mids and our small's can get us home. I think missing a Mundy, Fyfe or Barlow is challenging but we're still there and even missing two of them we can win thanks to the half backs, second tier mids and our outside mids. Miss an outside mid and the young brigade has plenty to offer.

No, what induces stomach ulcers and missing finger nails, is loosing MJ, Dawson or McPharlap. And I do mean any one of them. Is anyone here really convinced that Sylvani can replace any one of them. Because having once been a fan I have to say that I am less impressed these days. Its when one of these three are missing that our conceded points goes from about 50 points to about 80. (As an FYI we have not played Hawthorne with our A grade defence in the last three years).
Full respect to Spurr, Sutty, Duffman, Ibbo and the rest of the smaller types who look after the half backline and small forwards because they do a fantastic job. But if we play a team with two talls and a ruck without one of Dawson, MJ or McPharlin we are going to cry all night.

Which leaves me with a quandary. Lets be honest, we do not want Fyfe to play for anyone else, ever. That is going to take real coin. In my book he is the player closest to signing the next 1m per anum contract in our team. Mundy wont be cheap and we need to keep them both. Whilst I want a quality KPD I want Fyfe more. The question is are any of the young'uns worth leaving Frawley alone to make sure we keep Fyfe and Mundy. Or are we going to have to be tough.

I have to confess that the state of our back line is what induces raised blood pressure and all that goes with it.

By and large we can manage with Pav missing to quote RTB "Its not ideal but ...". We don't really have a second recognised tall forward but usually the mids and our small's can get us home. I think missing a Mundy, Fyfe or Barlow is challenging but we're still there and even missing two of them we can win thanks to the half backs, second tier mids and our outside mids. Miss an outside mid and the young brigade has plenty to offer.

No, what induces stomach ulcers and missing finger nails, is loosing MJ, Dawson or McPharlap. And I do mean any one of them. Is anyone here really convinced that Sylvani can replace any one of them. Because having once been a fan I have to say that I am less impressed these days. Its when one of these three are missing that our conceded points goes from about 50 points to about 80. (As an FYI we have not played Hawthorne with our A grade defence in the last three years).
Full respect to Spurr, Sutty, Duffman, Ibbo and the rest of the smaller types who look after the half backline and small forwards because they do a fantastic job. But if we play a team with two talls and a ruck without one of Dawson, MJ or McPharlin we are going to cry all night.

Which leaves me with a quandary. Lets be honest, we do not want Fyfe to play for anyone else, ever. That is going to take real coin. In my book he is the player closest to signing the next 1m per anum contract in our team. Mundy wont be cheap and we need to keep them both. Whilst I want a quality KPD I want Fyfe more. The question is are any of the young'uns worth leaving Frawley alone to make sure we keep Fyfe and Mundy. Or are we going to have to be tough.

With Pavlich, McPharlin, Sandi and Mundy to a certain extent all getting less money next year than they are current on we should have no issue signing up Fyfe and Mundy and still have enough cash for Frawley or somebody like him.

When it comes to KPF's, I can not disagree more with you. You don't win grand finals with out KPF's, the buldogs tried for years and failed.

When it comes to KPD's, we already have Silvagni, Smith and A Pearce who can play with Johnson and Dawson should McPharlin retire at the end of the year but for KPF's we are already one short, Taberner and Apeness is not ready, Gumbleton can't get on the park, and I think Bradley will be delisted at the end of the year.

One gun KPF will make Taberner and Apeness look better and give them a chance to develop with out attracting the best defender.

I know the eagles managed, but they had 3 of the best 5 midfielders in the competition and a forward line that functioned quiet well - Lynch was solid.

Based on the WAFL reports, I would say Silvagni is back to his best form after 1-2 years where he was affected by injuries.

And I'm glad that you're not my accountant.

But you make a hell of a psychic.

The top 6 in the league huh?

We've got 2 who s**t all over him and I'm certain that scratching up another 4 wouldn't be too difficult at all.
Sure, it's subjective. But if I give you the 2 from Freo (I only think theres 1) and we throw in Glass at the eagirls, I'm not so sure you will find it that easy to put him out of the best of the rest. But we could to and fro on this forever because we seem to be poles apart on our assessment. Will be most interested down the track to find out who's been chasing him and what his new contract is worth if he heads to another club though.

Sure, it's subjective. But if I give you the 2 from Freo (I only think theres 1) and we throw in Glass at the eagirls, I'm not so sure you will find it that easy to put him out of the best of the rest. But we could to and fro on this forever because we seem to be poles apart on our assessment. Will be most interested down the track to find out who's been chasing him and what his new contract is worth if he heads to another club though.

Harry Taylor
Josh Gibson
Brian Lake
Scotty Thompson

Seriously, I'm not even trying here.

Harry Taylor
Josh Gibson
Brian Lake
Scotty Thompson

Seriously, I'm not even trying here.
As much as it's just rumours it's pretty accepted that we tried to get Taylor last year at similar price (Frawley will probably get around 600k, not 800k) to what it'd take to get Frawley. Taylor looks like the better ATM but we've never seen him in a crap team. Make no mistake James Frawley is a quality player who'd walk into every team in the AFL. If you think he's not as good as Zac Dawson you're kidding yourself.

As much as it's just rumours it's pretty accepted that we tried to get Taylor last year at similar price (Frawley will probably get around 600k, not 800k) to what it'd take to get Frawley. Taylor looks like the better ATM but we've never seen him in a crap team. Make no mistake James Frawley is a quality player who'd walk into every team in the AFL. If you think he's not as good as Zac Dawson you're kidding yourself.

He couldn't pull Zac Dawson's socks up and he isn't in the same universe as Harry Taylor. And it's no rumour at all, we chased Harry very, very hard.

Walk into every team in the AFL? Frawley, as a starting 22 in every team??

You are fair dinkum dreaming.

McPharlin, Johnson,

In no particular order;
Eric McKenzie
Jake Carlisle
Harry Taylor
Tom McDonald
Luke McPharlin
Michael Johnson
Darren Glass
Josh Gibson
Brian Lake
Scott Thompson
Steven May
Ted Richards
Daniel Talia

He couldn't pull Zac Dawson's socks up and he isn't in the same universe as Harry Taylor. And it's no rumour at all, we chased Harry very, very hard.

Walk into every team in the AFL? Frawley, as a starting 22 in every team??

You are fair dinkum dreaming.
Maybe fortunately, I don't watch enough Melbourne games to have an advanced opinion on Frawley, but you're absolutely correct that we chased Taylor HARD. The net result is that we pushed up his price so the cats had to let go Chapman and Hunt. None of us are privy to the complexities of the Dockers salary situation, but it wouldn't be a stretch to think that the Mundy/Fyfe contracts may cause us to be in a similar position unless we free up space by other highly paid players taking a paycut/retiring. Mcphee retiring would have definitely helped us get one or both of Pearce\Sylvia.
My hunch is that we will look after what we've got first. IMO our list management guys have been onto this for a while.
I don't think that Frawley will be coming to us.

Maybe fortunately, I don't watch enough Melbourne games to have an advanced opinion on Frawley, but you're absolutely correct that we chased Taylor HARD. The net result is that we pushed up his price so the cats had to let go Chapman and Hunt. None of us are privy to the complexities of the Dockers salary situation, but it wouldn't be a stretch to think that the Mundy/Fyfe contracts may cause us to be in a similar position unless we free up space by other highly paid players taking a paycut/retiring. Mcphee retiring would have definitely helped us get one or both of Pearce\Sylvia.
My hunch is that we will look after what we've got first. IMO our list management guys have been onto this for a while.
I don't think that Frawley will be coming to us.
Can't say I disagree with this. Fyfe and Mundy will take up a fair bit of our cap that could've been used to sign someone like Frawley hence why I threw up the idea of trading a few pages back. Frawley will probably be off the market by the time we need to decide whether we want him anyway. If McPharlin does retire we'll need someone to replace him.

Then you would both be wrong. There is some suggestion performance in some areas conforms to the power law, but the research is extremely limited. More fashion in my opinion. Talent would be normally distributed just like virtually every other Human quality.
I'm not even sure what you say makes sense at all as a power law function involves one quality varying as a power of another. This would mean talent would have vary as a power function of some other measurable quality. Number of players? Spanners in a Sydchrome tool kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back