News James Rahilly departs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

When Scott Burns moved down he talked about it being a long-term move decision for him and his family. That they weren't leaving Melbourne just for a short-term gig because it was a huge thing to uproot your family. The obvious having family in SA was also a bit of a bonus. So basically you either get that and usually those types have some sort of connection to Adelaide to start with, which lessens the recruitment pool somewhat, or you get the David Teague/James Rahilly types where they've lost their job in Melbourne and are auditioning down here for a few years to get back.
Pretty much South Aussies coming home, or those rejected by the 10 Victorian clubs.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

As always - its impossible to rate the effectiveness of Assistant Coaches unless you are on the inside.

That being said - its obvious that Rahilly was poached and we didnt want to lose him so our coaching group has gotten weaker.

Been a sneakily bad offseason for us.
This is correct

My concern though is ....having an inexperienced new coach in charge of an inexperienced backline

I would have preferred Burns, as the senior asst to be coaching that backline

Why would a proven good assistant come to Adelaide, the city, with 10 other clubs Victoria.

Port have the same issue.

These guys, and their family need to want to live here. Or be rejected by those Vic clubs.

At least we didn't get Bassett.

You seem to be intimating that Melbourne is a better place to live than Adelaide? Given the age profile and family status of most people in the coaching demographic, I would have thought Adelaide is a fantastically compelling alternative to Melbourne (at least for some of them).

You seem to be intimating that Melbourne is a better place to live than Adelaide? Given the age profile and family status of most people in the coaching demographic, I would have thought Adelaide is a fantastically compelling alternative to Melbourne (at least for some of them).
One thing I have seen in a different industry(medical) is attracting high calibre people who have never lived here with families to SA.

No private school in SA is as good as the best private schools in Melbourne. Academically maybe. But in terms of prestige...nope.

For whatever reason, both clubs here in SA struggle to attract assistants that have never lived here and/or wanted in Victoria.

One thing I have seen in a different industry(medical) is attracting high calibre people who have never lived here with families to SA.

No private school in SA is as good as the best private schools in Melbourne. Academically maybe. But in terms of prestige...nope.

For whatever reason, both clubs here in SA struggle to attract assistants that have never lived here and/or wanted in Victoria.

It's a valid point, to be fair. So much of the issue when it comes to Adelaide is the perception of people who have never actually lived here. We suffer badly from people making the correlation of Adelaide as an average place to visit equating to an average place to live. We're almost the polar opposite to places like Sydney in that regard (great to visit, crap place to live).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have this freshly unemployed coach been of interest to us? Loved him as a player, NFI what he is like as a coach.

If you want a coach that constantly blamed the players for everything, implemented a rubbish gameplan and came last in the AFLW then sure

Would have this freshly unemployed coach been of interest to us? Loved him as a player, NFI what he is like as a coach.

His methods won't work in today's environment. It may not have worked 30 years ago either.

He is too quick to blame others

This is correct

My concern though is ....having an inexperienced new coach in charge of an inexperienced backline

I would have preferred Burns, as the senior asst to be coaching that backline

I don’t think Burns has done a great job with the defence, as the Snr Asst he should be looking after the mids

At least our new defence coach played in defence and should be able to transfer his playing experience to the players

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Such Victorian w@nk. There are good schools here. There are great schools here. There are prestigious schools here.
Victorian are so thoroughly convinced by their own superiority they have little knowledge of the outside world. They are the Australian version of America.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back