News James Rahilly departs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I picked the Hombsch appointment months ago. So predictable.

Wright should of been told to expand his experience elsewhere.

Why we would offer McPherson a role is beyond me. He should of been told to take a role at a lower level for a few years and we could of mentored him in the meantime.

I picked the Hombsch appointment months ago. So predictable.

Wright should of been told to expand his experience elsewhere.

Why we would offer McPherson a role is beyond me. He should of been told to take a role at a lower level for a few years and we could of mentored him in the meantime.
Wonder if it includes him playing SANFL?

Looking at it it is a no brainer for the club ( as Redline suggested) - once you exhaust your other options you are left with shoring up the existing system

Hombsch coached/developed the SANFL backline and they are now in the AFL side - so he has a connection there.

I guess it was more about whether Burns wanted to be a forwards coach.

“In the event of a scheduling clash involving our AFL and SANFL teams, Mick will work with the AFL team and Matthew Wright will coach the SANFL team.

“Matt was a terrific leader as captain of our SANFL team before retiring this season and will remain at the Club as a development coach.”
Not sure I like that to be honest. If you want Godden working with the AFL side then have him working with the AFL side, not this half in, half-out stuff.

Hadn't thought of that. You could be right, can he get on the park though?
That would be the big question. And you could argue that having such a young team it may not hurt to have a coach who is more on their "level", not just from a coaching perspective, but having someone they can relate with more and help with that off-field stuff.

Not sure I like that to be honest. If you want Godden working with the AFL side then have him working with the AFL side, not this half in, half-out stuff.

Maybe a soft cap issue but I agree. If this is the case have Wright as the coach and Godden helping out when available.

I can see Godden moving up to the AFL panel in 2025.

As an aside, Burns experience as a forward coach came in 2019 at Hawthorn where he had Jarryd Roughead (only played 8 games), Luke Breust, Jack Gunston, Chad Wingard and Mitch Lewis as his main forwards. They were 11th for points scored that year and finished 9th on the ladder.

As an aside, Burns experience as a forward coach came in 2019 at Hawthorn where he had Jarryd Roughead (only played 8 games), Luke Breust, Jack Gunston, Chad Wingard and Mitch Lewis as his main forwards. They were 11th for points scored that year and finished 9th on the ladder.
Brilliant, should've just let Tex run the forward line

Peak AFC offseason
No trades
Lost a good coach, couldnt replace him.
“We’ll go to teh draft and get sum good kids”

So we’re either not spending the 20% of nicks’ salary that’s now outside the cap or we are blowing it internally with pay increases. Hombsch shouldn’t be on as much as Rahilly either, so $ freed up there too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. One of the biggest organisations in the land and we can’t fill a very important role with a single person outside of the club.

Sickening.
Should be, but aren't. We are a middling club thanks to incompetence, arrogance and nepotism.

Why would a proven good assistant come to Adelaide, the city, with 10 other clubs Victoria.

Port have the same issue.

These guys, and their family need to want to live here. Or be rejected by those Vic clubs.

At least we didn't get Bassett.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So we’re either not spending the 20% of nicks’ salary that’s now outside the cap or we are blowing it internally with pay increases. Hombsch shouldn’t be on as much as Rahilly either, so $ freed up there too
Or we were already paying over the cap, so the 20% of Nicks salary just cuts down on the tax bill a bit.

Why would a proven good assistant come to Adelaide, the city, with 10 other clubs Victoria.

Port have the same issue.

These guys, and their family need to want to live here. Or be rejected by those Vic clubs.

At least we didn't get Bassett.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
When Scott Burns moved down he talked about it being a long-term move decision for him and his family. That they weren't leaving Melbourne just for a short-term gig because it was a huge thing to uproot your family. The obvious having family in SA was also a bit of a bonus. So basically you either get that and usually those types have some sort of connection to Adelaide to start with, which lessens the recruitment pool somewhat, or you get the David Teague/James Rahilly types where they've lost their job in Melbourne and are auditioning down here for a few years to get back.

Given we couldn't attract anyone, out of all the choices available, this seems the best option.
Hombsch has been the development coach of the backlines. He's an experienced backlines player. I'd assume they have seen him work and think he's got the ability to fill the role. My only concern is that Hombsch is obviously inexperienced in the role and we have a very inexperienced backlines.
Burns to forwards is ok.
Wright as development coach is fine. Nothing wrong with beginning the gig here, but will need to go elsewhere to get a proper role.

I think recruiting this time around would of been harder as well given Nicks is no certainty to remain.

When Burns and Rahilly came over there was some certainty but Nicksy is really only one bad year away from being moved on which creates uncertainty.

I was never a fan of Burns looking after our defence, so I’m ok with the appointment of the defence coach

However my concern is, our Senior Asst should be the midfield coach, this is where the game is won or lost

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why didnt we try to bring Marty Mattner back? Or was there more to the story than just cost cutting during covid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back