News James Rahilly departs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Word is we’re going internal for a replacement

Hooray

Might be Jack Hombsch

Marry Wright ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just let Tex run it. Then once he retires he can be the full time forwards coach.
This sounds silly, but is probably better than most of the options.

Given how there has been no noise around this at all, one suspects that anyone we have tried has turned us down. Hence we are left to look around at what's left.

Godden? Please no.
Wright? Based on what exactly?

It's clear that Rahilly is an excellent coach. Losing him will be massive, especially as we enter a probable push into finals. We can't afford to have below average coach in that spot.

I know I brought it up already but if we are looking at internal surely it’s Chelsea Randall.

You’d have to think she wouldn’t be far off retiring.
She’s a leader and sounds like she has football brain.
Already working in a coaching capacity.

The only obstacle would be she’s played AFLW not AFL, but who cares.

Last edited:
I know I through it up there but if we are looking at internal surely it’s Chelsea Randall.

The only thing obstacle would be she’s played AFLW not AFL, but who cares.
I'd be happier with this than Godden or Wright.

I don't think Wright could do it. One of the issues with Godden last time was his lack of recent AFL game experience.

I know Wright has been employed at the club but hasn't been watching and studying AFL games and strategies for years.

In my opinion you need to do 12 months purely focussed on AFL before being a Senior line coach.

I know I brought it up already but if we are looking at internal surely it’s Chelsea Randall.

The only obstacle would be she’s played AFLW not AFL, but who cares.
In her new position, she will be mentored by Senior Coach Matthew Nicks and work closely with Head of Development Marco Bello, and will be immersed in the men’s program which in her first year will include attending all coaches’ meetings, match committee, game review, training sessions, the coaches’ box and interchange bench on game day.
Sounds like she'd be a lot more involved than another dev coach like Matty Wright since she doesn't have playing duties crossing over with her coaching duties.

McVeigh will also step up as a new assistant coach for the Swans’ men’s team, working alongside John Longmire as well as his brother Jarrad, Dean Cox and Ben Matthews.

Another former Sydney assistant coach, and former Suns coach, Stuart Dew was reportedly sounded out about returning to the club.

He visited Sydney’s facilities last week, but despite being interested in the opportunity it appears he will remain on the Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As expected we have promoted from within. Jack Hombsch up to defense coach, Burns to take the forwards

McPherson added as a development coach

ADELAIDE’S 2024 COACHING STRUCTURE​

Matthew Nicks – Senior Coach

Scott Burns – Forwards and Senior Assistant Coach

Nathan van Berlo – Midfield Coach

Jack Hombsch – Backs Coach

Michael Godden – SANFL and Coach Development

Marco Bello – Head of Development

Matthew Wright – Development Coach

Chelsea Randall – Development Coach

Andrew McPherson – Development Coach

Hot take: backing the “organic growth” of our coaching staff is far worse than the “organic growth” of our young squad

Couldn’t even get Hurn over lol

More disappointing than the trade period IMO. At least Port couldn’t get anyone either I guess

That said, I hope Hombsch goes well

The disappointing thing for me is the lack of coaching experience outside our environment

Hombsch, Godden, Wright, Randall and McPherson have no AFL coaching experience outside the Crows. Van Berlo had three years at West Coast, otherwise all at the Crows

Of the six coaches with limited coaching experience outside our system, four of them also played almost entirely for the Crows. At least Randall has actually been part of a successful system

Nicks, Burns and Bello are the only three coaches with significant experience outside the Crows

As expected we have promoted from within. Jack Hombsch up to defense coach, Burns to take the forwards

Not all that surprised

This was floated on Triple M the other day

They confirmed Burns would be the forwards coach and dropped a few other names as potentially taking the backs, including Hombsch.

Wow, Andy McPherson has given footy away and gone straight into coaching.

It would be nice to see our ex-players get some outside experience first before coming back to the club as a coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back