Certified Legendary Thread Convicted Rapist: Jarryd Hayne - Fumbling and Quitting the Lifelong Dreams ™

Remove this Banner Ad

Who’s That Guy? Jarryd Hayne, the Australian Star Chasing NFL Dreams

October 15, 2014
by Andrew Sharp

451017876-e1413396432552.jpg

Scott Barbour/Getty Images

Who Is He? Jarryd Hayne, a superstar in Australia’s National Rugby League for the Parramatta Eels

Rugby? Rugby! Or rugby league, technically, which is different.

Where Is He From? Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Age? 26

Size? 189 centimeters and 100 kilograms and/or 15 stones, which is … [Googles for five minutes] … 6-foot-2, 220 pounds.

Why are we talking about him? This week, he announced he’s walking away from the game to chase his dream of playing in the NFL. As he wrote in an open letter to fans:

For the past 24 months I’ve been thinking about having a crack in the NFL, and over the last 12 months I’ve been seriously considering it. Today I can officially announce that I will be heading to the United States to pursue an opportunity to play American Football. I will be withdrawing from the Kangaroos Four Nations side immediately, and accepting a conditional release from the Eels to make the move overseas … It’s always been a dream of mine to play in the NFL, and at my age, this is my one and only chance at having a crack at playing there.

His Game in 25 Words or Fewer: He’s a fullback, he’s one of the highest-paid players in the National Rugby League, and that’s literally all I know. (Says the Sydney Herald, “This is a young man, who from the age of 15, has been just about first picked in every rugby league team he’s ever represented.”)

His Imaginary NFL Game in 25 Words or Less: Running back? He’s 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, fast, and apparently pretty shifty. Let’s say special teams–flavored running back.

Film Study: HAAAAAAAAAAAAAYNE PLAAAAAAAAAAAANE.

What Does He Know About the NFL? He’s been playing fantasy football.

And he enjoys NFL Memes. So that’s a good start.

Are There Precedents Here? In 2006, rugby league player Willie Mason had a tryout with the Jets that went nowhere. Just last year, the Colts made headlines when they brought in Kenyan rugby player Daniel Adongo from South Africa and added him to the practice squad as a project at defensive end. Sports Illustrated chronicled the transition and Indy’s hopes for his future –“People love the crap out of him around here,” said his defensive coordinator. But in August 2014, he was waived and sent to injured reserve with a groin injury. The project’s on hold for now.

158757439.jpg

Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

In New York, the Jets brought in 6-foot-7, 240-pound Hayden Smith to play tight end in 2012, and he became the first professional rugby player to play in the NFL. His career included five game appearances, with one catch for 16 yards. He was cut by the Jets last year, failed to catch on with Tampa Bay, and went back to Australia to play rugby.

Smith has zero regrets. “It is an amazing journey to have been a part of and you just take life experience from it,” he told The Telegraph. “It took a lot of work and wasn’t easy and I grew as a person by taking myself outside my comfort zone.”

But Those Aren’t Really Precedents. No, not really. Neither of those players was as dominant as Hayne. He just walked away from a multi-million dollar contract extension that would’ve been the richest deal in the history of the National Rugby League.

How Is This Being Received in Australia? With shock, mostly. And lots of support. And the caption here, introducing us to Chicago Bulls running back Matt Forte.

screen-shot-2014-10-15-at-12-18-13-pm.png

How Did This Happen? “It wasn’t easy,” Hayne said at the press conference announcing this move. “I think that’s what people need to understand, like this isn’t going to be an easy transition. That’s why it took so long to decide.”

Hayne’s been interested in this for a while. Two years ago, he began secret training sessions with the “gridiron team” at the University of Technology Sydney, whose coach saw that he “took a big shine” to the game.

This summer, Reggie Bush was shown highlights by Fox Sports Australia and said, “He actually looks like an NFL running back. Looks like he could come play with us tomorrow.” This quote will definitely be included in every story about Hayne’s decision, but I don’t know. It’s probably less an endorsement and more a polite way to play along with the Australian interviewing him.

Then in September, his team visited Seahawks practice and the University of Washington, and he saw training facilities up close, and this was apparently enough to push things over the edge. Last week, he posted this cryptic tweet:

Now here we are.

Why You Should Know Him: Because this is totally awesome. If you were to come up with a comparison from America, it might be a little like LeBron abruptly leaving basketball to try football. Or Jordan doing the same with baseball. But both of those sports at least happen in the same country. This is a bigger leap. Imagine 26-year-old LeSean McCoy leaving the Eagles tomorrow to go try to play rugby next year.

Hayne’s just hitting his prime, he’s ignoring the chance for a record-breaking contract, and he’s heading to Los Angeles without speaking to any NFL teams. All to follow a path that was already pretty impossible to begin with. As the Jets’ Smith remembers, “It took me months to be able to coherently understand what was going on and that was after putting in 12 or 14-hour long days. The playbook would contain hundreds of plays and thousands of varieties. You only have a couple of seconds to react once we snap the ball. You are also dealing with some incredible athletes so it is a pretty tough environment.”

There are 10 different reasons this shouldn’t work at all, and several examples where it hasn’t. That’s what makes it so much fun. It’s ambitious at best, and probably closer on the spectrum to insanity, which only confirms everything I’ve always assumed about rugby players.

Now Hayne will head to America, train in Los Angeles, probably enter the 2015 NFL Combine, and we’ll take things from there. The odds of him catching on as a full-time running back are slim, but kick returner and punt returner is possible. If it doesn’t work, he’ll go back to the Eels in a few years. Regardless, for anyone who’s ever wanted to watch LeBron play tight end for the Browns, or Usain Bolt play wide receiver, this is as close as we’ll get. That alone should have everyone rooting for him.

“I was about to become the highest-paid player in the NRL, the highest-paid player in the history of rugby league,” he said this week. “But, I’m a kid from Minto and my whole dream as a professional athlete was to … to … buy my mum a house. I did that and everything else has been a bonus.”

Let’s do this. Let’s go. All aboard the Hayne Plane. Wherever it lands.

Lions apparently in the mix for Australian rugby star
Posted by Darin Gantt on October 21, 2014, 6:30 AM EDT
dfp1021jarrydhayne.jpg
Getty Images
The Lions are in England today, but it seems they’re looking to Australia for the future.

Via the Detroit Free Press, Lions coach Jim Caldwell didn’t dispel a link between his team and Australian rugby star Jarryd Hayne.

I can’t tell you much about that,” Caldwell said. “I mean, I know who he is, obviously, but I don’t know what I’m supposed to tell you. I have no knowledge of it in that regard.

“To be honest with you, it could be. It could be a personnel issue, but I’m not aware of it. Besides that, our focus is pretty narrow this time of the year, so getting out of that realm, it’s hard to do. But it could happen.

“Obviously, there are a lot of good athletes around this country, and there are a bunch of them playing other sports, you know, basketball, baseball, rugby, which is similar to our sport, and there is a lot of carryover. So, we’ll see.”

Hayne is one of the top players in Australian rugby, and Lions running back Reggie Bush told a television interviewer there he could play in the NFL. Sydney’s Daily Telegraph reported the Lions are one of six teams interested in him.

He may be too old but some of the claims about the NFL are over the top. Apart from the QB and maybe O-Line the playbook wouldn't be that hard to learn. Half the players in the league are basically illiterate. Three of the best tight ends in the league didn't even play in college.

I would also dispute the notion that every running back in the NFL is somehow a demonstrably better athlete than one of the best athletes to EVER play league.

Oh and even though I don't see receiver as a likely position, he is a hell of a long way from being too small. He'd actually be above average. They aren't all built like Megatron or Dez Bryant.

i think he's got no chance but i'd LOVE to see him make it.

i reckon it would be so awesome and i'd sure as hell be adopting* whatever team takes him on

you gotta admire his cajones

*2nd tier support

He may be too old but some of the claims about the NFL are over the top. Apart from the QB and maybe O-Line the playbook wouldn't be that hard to learn. Half the players in the league are basically illiterate. Three of the best tight ends in the league didn't even play in college.

I would also dispute the notion that every running back in the NFL is somehow a demonstrably better athlete than one of the best athletes to EVER play league.

Oh and even though I don't see receiver as a likely position, he is a hell of a long way from being too small. He'd actually be above average. They aren't all built like Megatron or Dez Bryant.
Players who have played American Football for the majority of their lives are benched or cut if they can't learn the playbook. I disagree in that more often than not, you need to know what route you're running, what adjustment to make or the blocking assignments, especially if you're an RB. Missing a blitz pick up is a drive killer.

As for arguing the level of talent, well that is in the eye of the beholder. The Yanks are far more ruthless than Australia when it comes to sport. You don't get many chances to stuff up over there.

Every player on the team has to learn the playbook. A RB for instance has to know exactly what the nomenclature of the play is, pass or run, whether he's taking the ball or not. What type of run it is, which gap he's running to, etc. The qb barks out the play in the huddle and they break and have to quickly line up and go. Every player has to know what the play is, what it does, what their assignment is. You just read page before how Hayden smith the aussie who played TE for the Jets, said how hard it is to learn, took him over a year. The difference is qb has to know what EVERYONEs assignment is on the offense, every route and wrinkle within. The MLB usually is also the "quarterback" of the defense, calls in the play and has to know what everyone's doing on defense, ensure they're all in the right gaps, alignments etc.

It's not to be under estimated how important and hard it is. And how many college talents busted in the nfl simply from being unable to learn the playbook. All positions not just quarterback. Eric ebron just the other week was saying how hard he's finding it to learn, and it's why he's mostly inactive.

Last edited:
If a WR runs the wrong route it's a potential easy pick 6.

I would imagine by the time a player reaches the NFL, most practices would be based on applying the knowledge in the playbook, and less about the throw and catch and ball security aspects of the offense.

Players who have played American Football for the majority of their lives are benched or cut if they can't learn the playbook. I disagree in that more often than not, you need to know what route you're running, what adjustment to make or the blocking assignments, especially if you're an RB. Missing a blitz pick up is a drive killer.

As for arguing the level of talent, well that is in the eye of the beholder. The Yanks are far more ruthless than Australia when it comes to sport. You don't get many chances to stuff up over there.

Yes but you don't need to have played your whole life to learn a playbook. And some players will never get it no matter how long they play for. As shown by a B grade union player making a pretty decent fist of it. Jimmy Graham played basketball in college and is now the best tight end in the NFL. So did future HoFer Antonio Gates. I played for two years in high school - it really isn't as hard to pick up as you make out. If anything the structured game flow and lesser ball skills make it significantly easier to learn than say Aussie rules or soccer.

Of course the athleticism is in general much higher in America. They have 15x as many people. But Hayne doesn't need to be a better athlete than LeSean McCoy or Arian Foster to make a team. And his skills definitely translate well to open field running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You definitely are up against it in the nfl if your athletic skills aren't on par. Depending on position, things like strength, arm strength, speed, acceleration, low center of gravity, leg strength, height, etc, all are very important because when all is said and done schematically on a play, it's an athletic contest everywhere on the field....each individual linemen all the way to cornerback against wide receiver.

Yes but you don't need to have played your whole life to learn a playbook. And some players will never get it no matter how long they play for. As shown by a B grade union player making a pretty decent fist of it. Jimmy Graham played basketball in college and is now the best tight end in the NFL. So did future HoFer Antonio Gates. I played for two years in high school - it really isn't as hard to pick up as you make out. If anything the structured game flow and lesser ball skills make it significantly easier to learn than say Aussie rules or soccer.

Of course the athleticism is in general much higher in America. They have 15x as many people. But Hayne doesn't need to be a better athlete than LeSean McCoy or Arian Foster to make a team. And his skills definitely translate well to open field running.

But if Hanye can't make quick progress with the playbook he's f***ed. Graham is that McCoy style athlete, he's a beast, so they give him more time to get it right. As good as Hayne is, he isn't an athletic freak like the others mentioned.

If he's just a little bit better than average, but doesn't grasp the playbook as easily every other guy who's just a bit better than average physically (and the NFL is full of those guys), then he'll struggle to go far.

Look at Manziel vs Hoyer, Manziel has him covered easily for ability and evasiveness, but Johnny can't read, so he doesn't play.

No, you don't but you've got to be a damn site smarter than the average bear if you want to pick up a playbook in a foreign game, in a foreign country in a game that you have never played before. Also, Jimmy Graham isn't the best Tight End in football thank you very much. That's Rob Gronkowski. :cool:

The thing that I find interesting is you've referenced success stories but not busts. Further to the point, I imagine an NFL playbook may be slightly more advanced than a High School football playbook. Were you working on fundamentals or did they progress into intricate schemes and playcalls? Either way, I'm sure it was a great experience.

As for the population debate, it's something I am well versed in. The reality is, our elite athletes, as a generalisation, simply aren't as good as America's.

No, you don't but you've got to be a damn site smarter than the average bear if you want to pick up a playbook in a foreign game, in a foreign country in a game that you have never played before. Also, Jimmy Graham isn't the best Tight End in football thank you very much. That's Rob Gronkowski. :cool:

The thing that I find interesting is you've referenced success stories but not busts. Further to the point, I imagine an NFL playbook may be slightly more advanced than a High School football playbook. Were you working on fundamentals or did they progress into intricate schemes and playcalls? Either way, I'm sure it was a great experience.

As for the population debate, it's something I am well versed in. The reality is, our elite athletes, as a generalisation, simply aren't as good as America's.

Well hopefully for my fantasy team's sake you're right about Gronk.

Of course high school football is significantly less complicated than NFL by a factor of (at least) 10. My point was more that I was able to beat out guys who had played their whole life up to that point and I didn't find the complexity that much of an issue by junior year. Now obviously the standard at a Houston high school is some way short of the NFL, but then Jarryd Hayne is a (slightly) better athlete than me too.

I actually do think the odds are against him, just pointing it that I disagree with anyone who says it can't be done.

I also think quoting 40 times or 100m times are a little unfair - these guys train for that and many were track athletes in high school or college. I suspect with specific training Hayne could run in the mid 10s or under 4.5 as well, his acceleration from a rolling start is very good.

But if Hanye can't make quick progress with the playbook he's f***ed. Graham is that McCoy style athlete, he's a beast, so they give him more time to get it right. As good as Hayne is, he isn't an athletic freak like the others mentioned.

If he's just a little bit better than average, but doesn't grasp the playbook as easily every other guy who's just a bit better than average physically (and the NFL is full of those guys), then he'll struggle to go far.

Look at Manziel vs Hoyer, Manziel has him covered easily for ability and evasiveness, but Johnny can't read, so he doesn't play.

I wasn't claiming that Hayne is in Graham's league athletically, just that it isn't that unthinkable for a non-native to pick the sport up fairly quickly.

And I still believe in Johnny Football! He will be starting week 1 next year.

Well hopefully for my fantasy team's sake you're right about Gronk.
;)

Of course high school football is significantly less complicated than NFL by a factor of (at least) 10. My point was more that I was able to beat out guys who had played their whole life up to that point and I didn't find the complexity that much of an issue by junior year. Now obviously the standard at a Houston high school is some way short of the NFL, but then Jarryd Hayne is a (slightly) better athlete than me too.
Given the manner with which you write, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're probably somewhat more intelligent than the average NFL player, thus the ease with which you picked up the playbook.

I actually do think the odds are against him, just pointing it that I disagree with anyone who says it can't be done.
I don't think it can't be done at all. In fact, I'd like to see him make it open up access for other Australians hoping to play in the NFL. My feelings revolve around the eye opening experience it is going to be for Hayne. My gut feeling is he'll fail miserably but I love the fact that he is trying out.

I also think quoting 40 times or 100m times are a little unfair - these guys train for that and many were track athletes in high school or college. I suspect with specific training Hayne could run in the mid 10s or under 4.5 as well, his acceleration from a rolling start is very good.
I don't think Hayne's a special athlete and certainly not comparable to the top end of NFL players.

I wasn't claiming that Hayne is in Graham's league athletically, just that it isn't that unthinkable for a non-native to pick the sport up fairly quickly.

But you were making the point about Graham adapting to the game, Graham being the better athlete gives him more upside and results in more patience from coaching staff than Hayne would likely get.

And I still believe in Johnny Football! He will be starting week 1 next year.

We'll have to see how he goes once he gets his chance, but effectively being benched because he can't get his head around the playbook is quite a red flag.

But you were making the point about Graham adapting to the game, Graham being the better athlete gives him more upside and results in more patience from coaching staff than Hayne would likely get.

We'll have to see how he goes once he gets his chance, but effectively being benched because he can't get his head around the playbook is quite a red flag.

Ok instead of Graham, how about two other top TEs in Gates and Thomas? Only one year of college ball between them.

I dunno if being backup rookie year means a whole lot. Didn't hurt Rodgers or Brady. Steve Young was a backup for years! None of the rookies who are playing look like they should be. Johnny's improvisational magic probably won't fly at the top level but I live in hope that it does =)

;)

Given the manner with which you write, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're probably somewhat more intelligent than the average NFL player, thus the ease with which you picked up the playbook.

I don't think it can't be done at all. In fact, I'd like to see him make it open up access for other Australians hoping to play in the NFL. My feelings revolve around the eye opening experience it is going to be for Hayne. My gut feeling is he'll fail miserably but I love the fact that he is trying out.

I don't think Hayne's a special athlete and certainly not comparable to the top end of NFL players.

Sorry for the long quote - on my phone. I don't doubt for a second that Hayne's straight line speed will never be better than mediocre relative to NFL backs no matter how hard he trains. But equally I don't know how many NFL backs outside the top echelon can move and juke guys the way Hayne can (maybe it won't transmate but I think it will).

Look at the early 90s Cowboys team, one of the best ever...their two star offensive players both slid at the draft because they were "too slow"...both Smith and Irvin became all time greats.

I wonder if Hayne does crack a 53 man roster if NFL teams or tier 1 colleges would start recruiting over here. Buddy would've made a great receiver.

Ok instead of Graham, how about two other top TEs in Gates and Thomas? Only one year of college ball between them.
Those guys are also freak athletes so were still given more time because they could/can do things that nobody else in the TE position can do.

Hayne while a good athlete is coming up against some of the best athletes in the world whom have played the game their whole lives and understand the game. He has a long road ahead of him and odds say he won't make it.

Sorry for the long quote - on my phone. I don't doubt for a second that Hayne's straight line speed will never be better than mediocre relative to NFL backs no matter how hard he trains. But equally I don't know how many NFL backs outside the top echelon can move and juke guys the way Hayne can (maybe it won't transmate but I think it will).

Look at the early 90s Cowboys team, one of the best ever...their two star offensive players both slid at the draft because they were "too slow"...both Smith and Irvin became all time greats.

I wonder if Hayne does crack a 53 man roster if NFL teams or tier 1 colleges would start recruiting over here. Buddy would've made a great receiver.
No major issue ob my behalf. One thing that should be pointed out that there is a considerable difference between speed and quickness. Some guys may not be physically talented as some but have the ability to play fast (for various reasons).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back