Joel Patfull Trade Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose it's not exactly definite but after listening to Schwab's comments can't say I'm too confident Joel will still be a Lion next year. Putting aside trade value and everything, if he does leave, we are going to miss him.

Patfull is far and away our best defender and also extremely versatile. He's the ideal third tall; shutting down his opponent as well as providing that stablising intercept mark. He can also be used as a key defender and to top it off is probably our best option against the opposition's best small forwards.

We have a sensational group of defenders coming through but they're also very young and we don't want to throw them to the wolves and rob them of confidence going forward as they play without any experienced support.

On the plus side it did seem to me like like Schwab was leaning towards keeping Merrett; perhaps because Patfull is leaving or he felt dissatisfied with opposition offers so there's some the chance Merrett returns to defense and we go with Clarke, Sauce and Goose until one of our juniors are ready. Or maybe we thrust one of our young defenders straight into the role?

What do you think will happen to our defense in Patfull's absence?

Which player from our list would you play in the Patfull role?

Or if we were to bring in a replacement in a trade or from the state leagues, who would you suggest?

I would see McStay building towards it but would have liked him to get another year of tutelage from JPatz.

I think McStay will be the one we try to isolate as a free and will focus on intercept marks similar to Patfull at his best. I don't see him focusing on shutting down dangerous forwards (we'd typically use Patfull on N Riewoldt and Betts as examples). McStay offers great hands, strong reading of the play (although not as strong as Patfull) and a well above average kick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I don't think there's any one player that can replace Joelly. Sam Mayes and Dizzy Gardiner working together is as close as I can get to replicating Joel.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Shirt term his loss will hurt, long term wont have a huge impact. Rog and Goose can hold down the key defensive posts next year with Clarke and Gardiner the next defenders. Adcock, Rich, Cutler, Harwood, McStay will help with the smalls and rebound.

Last year could be the last year for Goose, Rog we should get another 2 years. Im confident by then McStay should be starting to show some good signs, and Andrews will be coming into his 3rd year. Burke could also offer something here as well.

Depending on his fitness (and the club would have a good idea about this) I could see Staker spending time down there...

I really wanted to see McStay tried as more of a forward than a defender. Unfortunately with Joel probably leaving, I think he's going to have to rotate :(

So is this the new age of modern day footballers.

Get to your late 20's and if the club that gave you an opportunity, stood by you etc., even when you're still contracted isn't in the premiership window or some other lame excuse and you pack your bags and piss off?:mad:

Absolutely shits me what this game and what loyalty and means to modern players.

I'll be freaking livid with Patfull if he pisses off.

Get to your late 20's and if the club that gave you an opportunity, stood by you etc., even when you're still contracted isn't in the premiership window or some other lame excuse and you pack your bags and piss off?:mad:

Absolutely shits me what this game and what loyalty and means to modern players.

But if he goes to GWS it will be a team arguably even further from their premiership window than us. It seems like it's a purely lifestyle choice. We may even get something quite reasonable in return. As many have said it may be short term pain for long term gain. I'll miss him but don't really have any negative feelings towards him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am heavily leaning towards keeping him until the end of his contract. Our defense without JPats is definitely weaker without him right now and I feel that having him down back keeps us competitive for longer in games. Other have mentioned the need for confidence for a young blokes and I totally agree that being more competitive will be much better for the development for the next gen.

In saying that if he really wants to leave and generates some serious currency then we can also use that to our advantage moving forward as well i.e aiding our pursuit for beams or bringing in more talent via draft picks/other players.

We will struggle for a couple of years if he leaves but there is no reason why we cant improve our long term situation by trading him.

I'm quite certain there are things in Joel's life that are completely unrelated to football that are driving his desire to move.

At this stage, he'd be happy to move to Sydney after he finishes playing - that's a pretty admirable position on his part.

He's doing the right thing - we'd get more for him this year than if he walked as a FA.

I saw Joel's role next year as a fourth/medium defender (behind Goose, Clark & Gardner). In thar role he was by far our best intercept mark however as a rebound defender he was probably in the average category.

I see Cutler as being given the first crack at that role. We will have some short term pain but there is some long term opportunity to really solidify our back six.

I won't lie and say I'm not a little angry. Mainly I'm devastated. I also considered Joel to be a friend (not a particularly close one, but a friend all the same). But at the end of the day he's got to do what he thinks is best for him. I myself completely disagree with him and can only foresee ruin if he does leave, but that's a decision he's got to make.

I made a similar decision over a year ago (although admittedly I was in a toxic work environment and a town that really needs cleaning up) and as much as I don't like it I hope he finds what he's looking for.

But if he goes to GWS it will be a team arguably even further from their premiership window than us. It seems like it's a purely lifestyle choice. We may even get something quite reasonable in return. As many have said it may be short term pain for long term gain. I'll miss him but don't really have any negative feelings towards him.

Yeah, it works for both parties. Love Joel but if it suits him and suits us then it'll be worthwhile in the long run.

I'd say we have a fair few options to try his role, Gardiner or Bourke have a good chance to make that spot their own in 2015 :rainbow:

No it's not.

Agree to disagree.

IMO, he disrespecting every single one of his friends and colleagues and certainly not assisting them in any way.

Just when the club is taking a few steps forward, it takes a step back. That being the case, we may as well just move on Aish when in all likelihood he'll go at some point anyway, might as well just wipe the deck of all those who aren't interested in being here long-term.

Massive slap in the face to the entire Lions organisation.
I disagree, simply because the club has to be on board with it for any trade to happen.

I don't want him to go because he feel that his absence will be a setback for our defence's development, and that the kind of pick we seem likely to get won't be worth it.
However, I back the club to know better than I do, from knowing the full story to knowing how they intend to replace him to making the right choice at the draft.

Agree to disagree.

IMO, he disrespecting every single one of his friends and colleagues and certainly not assisting them in any way.

Just when the club is taking a few steps forward, it takes a step back. That being the case, we may as well just move on Aish when in all likelihood he'll go at some point anyway, might as well just wipe the deck of all those who aren't interested in being here long-term.

Unless there's been a big change (and there may have been since I last checked) as far as I can tell it was just Joel asking the question. If we need him he'll stay. He'll be 30 pretty soon, at some stage players have to start thinking about life post football.

The Aish analogy doesn't work because you're saying that you'd rather just move him on rather than get 9 more years from him. 10 years at a club is 'long-term' as far as I'm concerned.

I do agree it makes things a little tougher for the club, but I do also understand that footballers have limited lifespans and do eventually have to start looking towards what they'll be doing post footy. I can't see Patfull getting lucrative offers from Channel 7.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back