Jonathan Brown v Warren Tredrea

Remove this Banner Ad

The age-old debate. Tredrea was unstoppable in his prime, fairly mobile for his size, dished out stacks of score assists, was a beast on both feet and even swung into the backlines on occasion. Brown was a better pack mark, had more longevity, was a more reliable shot at goal and had a bigger / less-hated public persona because of how the media portrayed him.

Tredders was the better player in my biased opinion.
Much better in my opinion

Below the knees he had no peer, left and right foot either. Unfortunately he was ordinary in front of goal.

The only difference are the flags, oh and the fact brown is a Victorian and has the good bloke, loves a beer mentality

Always has pissed me off that tredders is overlooked, should be in the best half dozen of modern day forwards.

End of the day non port/bris fans will always look at the fact that Brown won three flags and Tredders only one. Had they gone 2-2 Id say more people would be on team Tredrea.

Similar to how Pav and Roo will largely be forgotten relative to Hodge.

This debate gets more boring with every passing year. Both champions of the game, both straight into the Hall of Fame at the first opportunity. We don't need to demean Brown to say Tredrea was a great footballer, and vice versa. I reckon Tredrea was a more skillful footballer but Brown had a bigger physical presence. In the end, you'd be pretty happy to pick either in your team for 15 years.

Last edited:
Tredrea kicked like 80 goals 40 behinds in 2004. His inaccuracy is a little overstated due to a couple average seasons.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Before Ben Perkins got hold of him in 2003, his conversion rate was about 53-54%, but it was his set shots that were poor as his snaps on his left foot were great and more reliable than his set shots.

After Perkins worked with him, he converted at over 60% every season bar one, which was at 59%.

Brown is grossly overrated for me but still a damn good footballer. Did Brown even play much CHF? Tredders is a 4x AA CHF, enough said.

This is probably the debate that no-one wants revived, but I’ve just seen Wayne Carey’s top 10 forwards since 2000 and found it more interesting than a Norf v Essendon game on the Gold Coast:

1. Lance Franklin (Hawthorn and Sydney)
2. Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)
3. Jonathan Brown (Brisbane)
4. Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle)
5. Warren Tredrea (Port Adelaide)
6. Matthew Richardson (Richmond)
7. Jack Riewoldt (Richmond)
8. Matthew Lloyd (Essendon)
9. Tom Hawkins (Geelong)
10. Brendan Fevola (Carlton and Brisbane)

Without a skerrick of research, I’d put the great man at 3 on that list. I would also like some of the mind-altering substances Duck was on when he went to print on Jack Riewoldt being better than Matthew Lloyd.

This is probably the debate that no-one wants revived, but I’ve just seen Wayne Carey’s top 10 forwards since 2000 and found it more interesting than a Norf v Essendon game on the Gold Coast:

9. Tom Hawkins (Geelong)

Without a skerrick of research, I’d put the great man at 3 on that list. I would also like some of the mind-altering substances Duck was on when he went to print on Jack Riewoldt being better than Matthew Lloyd.

Important to remember nearly everyone on that list played in an era where CHF and FF were different positions and roles and you usually stayed in the one role all game, you rarely got to 'rest' in the forwardline if you were a half foward.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9. Tom Hawkins (Geelong)

@tribey hope you jave all the stats and sermon saved in your notes mate its sorely needed here again.

Would anyone put him higher than Buddy or N. Riewoldt?
As a CHF, I would put Tredrea ahead of Riewoldt, Brown and Pavlich in that order.

I think Tredrea is the best CHF since Carey.

I wouldn't have Franklin in the conversation as I don't think of him as a CHF. More of a FF in my view, to the extent that such labels have any meaning in the modern game.

If we're going to lump them all into one generic category of "tall forward" and I was only allowed to have one of them in my team, then I would pick Franklin.

Last edited:
Would anyone put him higher than Buddy or N. Riewoldt?

Buddys the best key forward this century so no.

Volt i'd have ahead of Tredders. Tredders 01-05 was unstoppable but was cooked at 26. Volt had probably 4 more elite seasons than Tredrea did and was still dominant as a 33yo in his 2nd last season. I think Tredders 04 and 05 were better than any individual Volt season though

My list would be:
1. Franklin
2. N Riewoldt
3. Tredrea
4. Pavlich
5. Lloyd
6. Richardson
7. Brown
8. Fevola
9. J Riewoldt
10. Hawkins

Buddys the best key forward this century so no.

Volt i'd have ahead of Tredders. Tredders 01-05 was unstoppable but was cooked at 26. Volt had probably 4 more elite seasons than Tredrea did and was still dominant as a 33yo in his 2nd last season. I think Tredders 04 and 05 were better than any individual Volt season though

My list would be:
1. Franklin
2. N Riewoldt
3. Tredrea
4. Pavlich
5. Lloyd
6. Richardson
7. Brown
8. Fevola
9. J Riewoldt
10. Hawkins
Would have Brown ahead of Richo.
Would Kennedy slip into the ten?

I get Brown being so loved by Victorian media but I don't know why Pavlich was
I always wondered about this too.

Maybe it was out of sympathy because the team he played for was a basket case or perhaps a bunch of "loveable losers". Sort of like a modern day version of Kelvin Templeton.

Would have Brown ahead of Richo.
Would Kennedy slip into the ten?

Brown v Richo, ugh. I’ll go with Brown by the width of a flying forearm. Never could stand Richo’s incessantly flapping jaw as a player. Even Acker didn’t bother me as much ;)

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

9. Tom Hawkins (Geelong)

Josh Kennedy> Tom Hawkins for mine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back