JONORAWK fan club and appreciation wagon

Remove this Banner Ad

Midfielder O'Rourke pushing for selection

Nick Duxson June 21, 2015 12:07 PM

BUILDING on some strong performances at VFL level will be the focus for Jonathan O’Rourke, as he continues to push for a senior berth in the second half of the year.

The first-year Hawthorn midfielder made his debut for the club against Essendon in Round 2, adding to the nine games he played across two seasons at GWS Giants.

He has had to bide his time for Box Hill Hawks since, but is finding consistency with his football and pushing for a return to the senior team.

“It probably took me a couple of games to get used to the VFL,” O’Rourke said.

“I hadn’t played in it before, coming from the NEAFL, but I’ve strung probably a good month of footy together now, so I’ve just got to continue that and keep driving forward to push for selection.

“I was lucky enough last game to hit the scoreboard with a few goals, as well as getting the ball, so if I keep that mixture up it always comes in handy with selection.”

The 21-year old said learning how to play the ‘Hawthorn’ way had been a challenge, but something he was enjoying and trying to implement at VFL level.

“For two years you’re kind of learning a different structure coming into the AFL, and then going to a new club you’ve got to get used to it again and start over,” he said.

“Everyone here is very well drilled and has been doing it for a number of years, so I’ve just got to speed that time up to try to pick up on it.”

A three-goal, 21-disposal performance in Box Hill’s 55-point win against Port Melbourne before the bye saw O’Rourke named as an emergency for the Hawks’ clash against Adelaide Crows on Thursday.

He will line-up for the Box Hill Hawks against Williamstown this afternoon, in a clash of third and first on the VFL ladder.

O’Rourke knows he still has plenty of areas to improve, and is working hard alongside the club’s coaches to develop his game.

“It’s a bit of that inside-outside mixture I’ve been working on a fair bit, as well as some running patterns and getting used to the Hawks structure,” he said.

“Just staying involved in the game is probably a big one, and making sure that I’m not fading out of games.

“I’ve been working a fair bit with the midfield coaches, Ratts (Brett Ratten) with stoppage work and those running patterns with Cameron Bruce.

“Also Marco (Bello) and DC (Damian Carroll) have been a huge help in the development side of things, especially through playing at Box Hill.”

With only two players unavailable for selection through injury this week, breaking into the dual reigning premiers’ line-up isn’t easy.

But O’Rourke knows that by improving off the field and consistently performing on it, he’s giving himself every chance.

The Box Hill Hawks have the chance to go 7-1 with a win over Williamstown today – and move to the top of the VFL ladder.

O’Rourke said he was anticipating another tough contest.

“Most of the games this year have been pretty tight, besides that Port Melbourne game where we blew it out, but it felt like it was a hard contest,” he said.

“Hopefully we can keep winning and all the boys play well and it pushes everyone to succeed at both levels.”

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2015-06-21/orourke-pushing-for-selection

Looking forward to seeing him, 3 odd months since he's last played for us. Hopefully he has a big game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It at least shows that opposition rate o'rourke a bigger threat than the other box hill mids. I notice he seems to sneak into a fair few highlights as the guy delivering to a forward or linking the play together. Got a feeling he is going to be one of those players who is not spectacular but gets to the right places to make passages of play happen.

Not sure if Jono really gets how we play. In the Blues game, I saw him calling for the ball in the middle of the ground, saw him doing the same thing on Saturday. He seems to get to the space too early.

Not sure if Jono really gets how we play. In the Blues game, I saw him calling for the ball in the middle of the ground, saw him doing the same thing on Saturday. He seems to get to the space too early.

I'd rather this than a player who can't find space at all

It at least shows that opposition rate o'rourke a bigger threat than the other box hill mids. I notice he seems to sneak into a fair few highlights as the guy delivering to a forward or linking the play together. Got a feeling he is going to be one of those players who is not spectacular but gets to the right places to make passages of play happen.

To be honest, JOR reminds me of Whitecross.

Hopefully (although to whiteX credit it is mainly injury related) we get some better service out of him.

I think the expectations on Jono from Hawks fans may be a little too high. It was always going to be the case when you are a high draft pick but clearly we know he has what it takes and as some of the coaches have stated they are more looking at developing other aspects of his game as opposed to making him play on instinct at the moment.

Give him another year or 2 and I think we'll have a very handy midfielder.

Wrong sport I know but he reminds me a bit of Steve Larkham, smooth mover, composed, good vision. Just glimpes but if he develops with another preseason and some exposure he could be someone who sets play up for us

Can't even find a 'Welcome to Hawthorn' thread for the kid, but heres a link to his season review as a first year Hawk.

http://m.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2015-10-14/season-review-jonathan-orourke

Great to hear he played a full season. Body held up for the first time in his career and still averaged ~20 disposals.

Promising debut year!

Here's to a full year in the 1s!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back