Jumper Numbers 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

May 26, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
With the news JOM is taking #2, we can expect to know the numbers of Corbett and Jackson in the coming days.

We also have a trend emerging of young players moving to higher numbers as well - Sturt from 27 to 1, Serong from 22 to 3, Schultz from 28 to 5, Ryan from 38 to 13. So, I've moved a couple of current players up to higher numbers.

#2 Jaeger O'Meara

#9 Neil Erasmus - Our best young mid, just makes sense to me.

#12 Luke Jackson - Going off another posters observation that he's added 12 into his insta handle.

#16 Put away for a year or so.

#18 Matt Johnson - I was naturally very tempted to give Johnson the #16, but I can see him in the #18. I could also see him sticking with #44, seeing as he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder about not being taken first round originally.

#19 Josh Corbett - Sticks with his old number, although I could see a move to #18.

#22 + #28 Kind of nothing numbers, they go to draftees.

#29 I still don't know what we do with this, entirely who wants to take it on imo. Could see Ras or Amiss putting their hand up, but I don't see either pulling the trigger.

#34 Draftee

#37 Would like to see MJ hand it to Scaife.

#44 Draftee

Where does everybody else sit?

#12 Luke Jackson - Going off another posters observation that he's added 12 into his insta handle.

Nah, I think that's just his contract length.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think that’s always been his Insta handle, but it probably means it’s his favourite number so there’s a fair chance he takes it.

LJ wore 12 for at least a couple of Boomers Tournaments so that probably explains the insta handle. Doesn't discount him taking it on again.

With the news JOM is taking #2, we can expect to know the numbers of Corbett and Jackson in the coming days.

We also have a trend emerging of young players moving to higher numbers as well - Sturt from 27 to 1, Serong from 22 to 3, Schultz from 28 to 5, Ryan from 38 to 13. So, I've moved a couple of current players up to higher numbers.

#2 Jaeger O'Meara

#9 Neil Erasmus - Our best young mid, just makes sense to me.

#16 Put away for a year or so.

#18 Matt Johnson - I was naturally very tempted to give Johnson the #16, but I can see him in the #18. I could also see him sticking with #44, seeing as he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder about not being taken first round originally.

#19 Josh Corbett - Sticks with his old number, although I could see a move to #18.

#22 + #28 Kind of nothing numbers, they go to draftees.

#29 I still don't know what we do with this, entirely who wants to take it on imo. Could see Ras or Amiss putting their hand up, but I don't see either pulling the trigger.

#34 Draftee

#37 Would like to see MJ hand it to Scaife.

#44 Draftee

Where does everybody else sit?
Brennan Cox to get 29. It make perfect sense if you think about it.

Both South Australians who played for WWTFC who have played KPF and KPD.

Can't think of a more perfect fit.

No.29 is just a number like no.28, no. 32 or no. 50 is.

No idea why it’s on a pedestal of its own because Pavlich wore it six seasons ago.

There should be no extra pressure on whoever wears it.

Stephen Hill wore no. 32 the season after Peter Bell did and wore it for 200-odd games. Bell was perhaps our best retired player at that time. That’s how it should be.

Last edited:
No.29 is just a number like no.28, no. 32 or no. 50 is.

No idea why it’s on a pedestal of its own because Pavlich wore it six seasons.

There should be no extra pressure on whoever wears it.

Stephen Hill wore no. 32 the season after Peter Bell did and wore it for 200-odd games. Bell was perhaps our best retired player at that time. That’s how it should be.
Pav wore it more than 6 seasons...

If you don't know the significance of Matthew Pavlich to this club...

Pav wore it more than 6 seasons...

If you don't know the significance of Matthew Pavlich to this club...
*six seasons ago. My bad.

Anyway Pavlich seems to be the only player in the league where his jumper is held on such a pedestal.

Are we going to talk about no.16 the same way? No.7? Where do we stop? Maybe players can wear three digits on their back long after me and you are gone.

I'll remember the 17 odd years Pavlich was here very fondly. His career should be celebrated as it has been. Couldn't give a **** about a shirt number though.

Last edited:
Anyway Pavlich seems to be the only player in the league where his jumper is held on such a pedestal.

Far from it. Most clubs would have something similar. Sydney kept Goodes’ 37 in mothballs for a fair while, as did North with Harvey’s 29. Richmond still hasn’t given Rance’s number to anyone else and he retired years ago. And so on.

Pavlich’s number was only retired a year or two, it just seems longer because Valente never appeared in it.

*six seasons ago. My bad.

Are we going to talk about no.16 the same way? No.7? Where do we stop? Maybe players can wear three digits on their back long after me and you are gone.

I'll remember the 17 odd years Pavlich was here very fondly. His career should be celebrated as it has been. Couldn't give a **** about a shirt number though.
Other teams do things with numbers too. Collingwood give their 1st pick each season number 35, which was Peter Diacos old number but afterwards it was Simon Prestigiocomo’s number. Presti ruled himself out of the 2010 GF due to not being right & the selflessness was something they wanted to honour him with but also pass it onto the next generation.

I think Nick Diacos wants to keep it though so it will be interesting what happens there. Things change & lose impact over time so the 29 for Freo won’t be as famous forever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far from it. Most clubs would have something similar. Sydney kept Goodes’ 37 in mothballs for a fair while, as did North with Harvey’s 29. Richmond still hasn’t given Rance’s number to anyone else and he retired years ago. And so on.

Pavlich’s number was only retired a year or two, it just seems longer because Valente never appeared in it.
I don't remember there being so much hype about some youngster taking Goodes' shirt number several years after he retired.

Like no.29 isn't exactly a number every player would want if Goodes hadn't worn it.

Just feel like no one wants it because of pressure the club and the WA media has created. There shouldn't be any pressure at all. It's a number.

Luke jackson picks no.9 to honour his role model nic nat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back