Kurt Tippett trade talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah I'm not being sarcastic. Yeah I've overstated it. He's alright, better than a lot of hacks. But I guess I mean he's overrated. And he's almost already reached his peak. At best he will be another Heath Scotland. Currently he is a Jarryd Blair at his best. But yeah, feel strongly that there's little to no more improvement in him. I know this is not a popular view, but I'm pretty confident.

Nah I'm not being sarcastic. Yeah I've overstated it. He's alright, better than a lot of hacks. But I guess I mean he's overrated. And he's almost already reached his peak. At best he will be another Heath Scotland. Currently he is a Jarryd Blair at his best. But yeah, feel strongly that there's little to no more improvement in him. I know this is not a popular view, but I'm pretty confident.
you heard it here first.. lol

The only way Kurt ends up at the Suns now is if they pass on pick 57 in the ND. I highly, highly doubt this will happen. In saying that though he can of course still be traded next year or the years after. The Tippett thread lives on.

He hasn't nominated for the ND. Still technically on the Crows list, since he's currently in limbo. Unable to be delisted.

That's what Matchu is saying, we must pass #57 in the ND to allow us the option of senior listing Tippett at #2 in the PSD, which we are very unlikely to do.

Really? I thought we had pick #2 in the PSD even if we picked up #57 in the ND.

How confusing! :confused:
i thought we did as well.. nd has no bearing on psd.. we still have picks regardless, we dont have to use them. unless they are talking about the fact that if we use 5 we will have no spot for someone in the psd on our list

Really? I thought we had pick #2 in the PSD even if we picked up #57 in the ND.

How confusing! :confused:

Not talking about the picks guys, just the ability to senior list PSD #2. As we are most likely using #57 in the ND, PSD #2 becomes a worthless pick as far as Tippett is concerned. Only rookie spots available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

doesnt mean we wont use the pick
Yes it does. If the Suns use pick 13 and 57 in the national draft, which is highly likely, then they are unable to use PSD pick 2 due to their being no senior list spots left. The minimum requirements of the national draft are to use three picks and we already know that picks 59 and 60 are being used on Kyal Horsely and Clay Cameron. Pick 13 is definitely going to be used so that just leaves 57.

The point is if the Suns pass on pick 57 in the ND then there is still a chance they are after Tippett. Whether or not that means they won't be interested in the future is another story but come Thursday I'm pretty confident we will know that Kurt will not be at the Suns in 2013.

What about rookies?
The Suns have 9 rookie spots available and at the moment it looks like Josh Hall is the only definite for the Suns. I could be wrong but I was under the impression you could only be put on the rookie list if you went through the rookie draft. Does anyone know if clubs are allowed to rookie list a player using a PSD pick?

As far as I know, you can't rookie list players until the rookie draft, which is held immediately after the PSD. As we most likely won't have a senior list spot available to use at #2 PSD, we will just pass.

We then continue with pick #2 in the rookie draft, until we have drafted how ever many rookie players we want to list (max 9).

This is why Ashcroft/Clayton were tossing up which pick would snag them the better player, pick #57 ND or pick #2 PSD. They were quoted saying #57 is a better ranked pick by 10 or so places in their opinion, so would most likely use it.

Hope this makes sense.

Swans are offering 5.5mil on a 6yr deal... no wonder he chose Sydney! Only GWS could match this.

Swans are offering 5.5mil on a 6yr deal... no wonder he chose Sydney! Only GWS could match this.

From what I read its a little bit more to it than that?

4 year deal worth 3.5 mil with an option of 2 year 1mil per year extension - IF he can play 20 games per season over the first 4 years. Probably has more KPI's too.

Source, where can I find the article

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/swans-offer-tippett-35m-4year-deal-20121120-29o3j.html

It has been revealed that Sydney's pitch to Tippett included payments of $700,000 for next year and $900,000 for 2014, before improving to $975,000 for seasons 2015 and 2016. The two-year extension would be triggered, worth just under $2 million, if the former Adelaide full-forward played 20 games in each of the first four seasons

I must admit my suprise at what the Swans (as reported) are prepared to offer for Tippet.

Not only does the money seem excessive, but the possible impact on the culture of the club would be interesting to watch.

I rate Tippett very highly as a KPF in the AFL system. However I cannot see how the Swans see him as being virtually the best KPF in the competition (I understand he is the best available KPF presently on the market).

Games played at the SCG will greatly assist Tippett, however the season is a long one and his impact away from home games at the SCG will be diminished.

It would be an interesting scenario if he is de-registered for a period, and/or he ends up at GWS.

The decision to enter into all these deals was dumb at best and it is hard to believe Kurt Tippett was oblivious to all the "back room" deals that were struck.

The outcome will be fascinating!

I must admit my suprise at what the Swans (as reported) are prepared to offer for Tippet.

Not only does the money seem excessive, but the possible impact on the culture of the club would be interesting to watch.

I rate Tippett very highly as a KPF in the AFL system. However I cannot see how the Swans see him as being virtually the best KPF in the competition (I understand he is the best available KPF presently on the market).

Games played at the SCG will greatly assist Tippett, however the season is a long one and his impact away from home games at the SCG will be diminished.

It would be an interesting scenario if he is de-registered for a period, and/or he ends up at GWS.

The decision to enter into all these deals was dumb at best and it is hard to believe Kurt Tippett was oblivious to all the "back room" deals that were struck.

The outcome will be fascinating!

To me its not up to KT to adhere to the AFL rules as much as it is for the clubs who contract and agree to the deals.

If I'm being paid 500k, 900k or whatever do I care where it comes from? It's up to the clubs/managers to abide by the rules and offer their players what is legal and able is it not?

To me its not up to KT to adhere to the AFL rules as much as it is for the clubs who contract and agree to the deals.

If I'm being paid 500k, 900k or whatever do I care where it comes from? It's up to the clubs/managers to abide by the rules and offer their players what is legal and able is it not?

With due respect, the AFL have guidelines (somewhat cloudy-just ask Judd!) which all parties are aware of when signing deals. It is a whole new conversation about restraint of trade etc which is best left to another time.

I agree with you that players (i.e Scully, Folau, Ablett, etc...) are fools if they do not strike up the best deals for themselves.

My point is that is a poor excuse if an individual pleads ignorance if he does not understand the rules in which players can be paid under the AFL system.

To deliberately deceive the AFL as to the amount a player receives from football activities is always going to end in tears for all parties. The legalities of player payments are at the heart of why the AFL has been so successful over the last 15-20 years.

I just find it a cop out to plead ignorance (surely managers, family advice and letters telling him to not tell the AFL) to the deception that has taken place.

It smacks of the poor kid who takes his bat and ball and runs off to Mum when he doesn't get his own way.

A simple review of a tax return will quickly alert any investigator to total monies paid to an individual. Hopefully the "extra' was put on his return or the ATO might find this an interesting one to look at!

Call me a cynic, but with the amount of discussion that the Tippett "party" put into his contract to exit the AFC it would be absolutely amazing if Kurt Tippett was unaware of what he was signing and the potential for it to explode in his face if caught!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back