Autopsy "We talking bout PRACTICE!?" - Praccy Match vs GWS March 4th

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives and negatives from the game
King return is great for the club
Ball use very average out of the backline
But let’s look at that Weller and Powell back there fixes that
Ellis adds experience to HB or wing role.
Loss the midfield battle but Touk comes back.
Humphrey adds a different player up forward exciting.
I like Holland’s in the middle late personally I’d play him forward/mid. Not sorely on a wing.
Once these players come back in they fix ball use and drive issues.
Another take away for me is Jack L
Has to start having impact. Personally I can’t see him fitting into the forward line having a full time role
He isn’t in front of king , chol , Jeffery and probably even casbolt but will get played cause of talent.
Personally I’d like to see him use his kicking skill and become a third tall defender.
Weller Collins Jack L
Powell Ballard Long

Lukosius’ intensity underwhelms me. He has one or two great possessions a game. He only had ten possessions at 60 per cent efficiency today. He comes across as entitled. Something needs to change by round one.
Took him too long to find his groove. Basically once King came off he had a position and got the ball a bit more.

Had 4 inside 50s, 4 score involvements and 2 goal assists. But that was basically in a half of football, since he barley got near it early on.

Still don’t think we have a clear role for Luko. He ran up and down the ground a lot—commentators were pointing that out, but couldn’t seem to have an impact in large chunks.

Update on injuried players from Dew. Miller in, Ellis probably too. Powell round 1-3, Weller one more month work into him.
Constable in for round 1 looks like.

Dew likes Uwland and me too! He did look nervous early but that risky kick to Farrar in the middle resulting in goal was great.

Last edited:

We have been quite unfortunate with our injured players this pre-season, which means we can’t really see what we are going for.

Weller, Powell and Budarick out of the backline means we have no one who can reliably hit a target or break out of a zone. Plus our talls down there just shouldn’t be allowed to kick the ball.

Touk and Ellis through the middle obviously give us an experienced edge.

And no Rosas up forward and no replacement for Rankine means we just have no crumbing threat at ground level so it hits the deck and shoots back out.

I’m still not any more convinced on the 4 talls set-up either. I think Luko is better off with a defined third-tall role playing up at half-forward, but still being able to come back and be a presence when Chol/King are off (needs to attack those contests though which is a worry). Jeffrey is best 22, and again, we need that crumbing option, so someone has to miss out. Especially on a humid Gold Coast March evening, I just don’t think you need the four of them.

we have no one who can reliably hit a target or break out of a zone
Long and Farrar definitely can (not that they did today).

As for KPDs how about this following controversial opinion.

It's funny nobody says a word about Collins. Not that practice game matters IMO, teams are trying different things, don't focus on opposition strategies and so on but for me Graham is actually better kick when comparing to Collins and Ballard. Sure, Graham had a couple of bad kicks today, but Collins was directly responsible for 4 goals as a result of bad kicks and was IMO, the worst Suns KPD today.

As Dew said post-game, we are now preparing for regular season (not to win practice matches) :p

Last edited:

As for KPDs how about this following controversy opinion.

It's funny nobody says a word about Collins. Not that practice game matters IMO, teams are trying different things, don't focus on opposition strategies and so on but for me Graham is actually better kick when comparing to Collins and Ballard. Sure, Graham had a couple of bad kicks today, but Collins was directly responsible for 4 goals as a result of bad kicks and was IMO, the worst Suns KPD today.

As Dew said post-game, we are now preparing for regular season (not for practice matches) :p
The thing with Collins is, he's a solid footballer and a super interceptor. We have no one else after him.

As for KPDs how about this following controversy opinion.

It's funny nobody says a word about Collins. Not that practice game matters, teams are trying different things, don't focus on oposition strategies and so on but for me Graham is actually better kick when comparing to Collins and Ballard. Sure, Graham had a couple of bad kicks today, but Collins was directly responsible for 4 goals as a result of bad kicks and was IMO, the worst Suns KPD today.
Yeah, Collins was not good. He actually wasn’t very good in the back half of last year either.

Really needs to focus on his own game and bringing in the team around him, rather than trying to be the playmaker and take on all the roles.

His job is to lockdown and intercept. I really never want to see him running halfway up the ground and trying to bite off a kick into attacking 50, or trying to be clever and kick out of defence down the middle.

We need some more composure there so we can attack from half-back. No point intercepting, only to turn it over.

The thing with Collins is, he's a solid footballer and a super interceptor. We have no one else after him.

Yeah, Collins was not good. He actually wasn’t very good in the back half of last year either.

Really needs to focus on his own game and bringing in the team around him, rather than trying to be the playmaker and take on all the roles.

His job is to lockdown and intercept. I really never want to see him running halfway up the ground and trying to bite off a kick into attacking 50, or trying to be clever and kick out of defence down the middle.

We need some more composure there so we can attack from half-back. No point intercepting, only to turn it over.
Exactly, he should be trying to pass the ball to reliable users rather that trying to create which he can't. Stop panicking would be nice too.

I really don't pay too much attention to practice games. Let's see how we go early. We do look good physically, can put pressure on. Players like Miller, Ellis, Powell, Weller will be handy.

A bit disappointed Humphrey did not play. Just wondering how he cut his foot. Maybe surfing?

Last edited:
I like Holland’s in the middle late personally I’d play him forward/mid. Not sorely on a wing.
Has to start having impact. Personally I can’t see him fitting into the forward line having a full time role
He isn’t in front of king , chol , Jeffery and probably even casbolt but will get played cause of talent.
Personally I’d like to see him use his kicking skill and become a third tall defender.
Weller Collins Jack L
Powell Ballard Long
Agree hollands is a fwd / mid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our Forward Line.
I'd like a balanced forward line consisting of agile talls King, Chol, and Jeffrey for elite marking. Holman, Rosas/Humphrey for pressure and Ainsworth possibly rotating with the midfielders: Flanders, Hollands, Swallow or Davies, who also add pressure. With a forward line like this, we have more of a chance of keeping the ball in our half.
Lukosius on the wing using his strengths.
Casboult possibly down back, locking down a gorilla and freeing up either Collins or Ballard to concentrate on intercepting.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Not concerned about this match at all personally.

Few things that I did notice though;

• Witts didn't look himself in the ruck, was beaten far too easily at times - hope he finds form before R1
  • Crab was diabolical, I won't be attending the next Crab Festival at this rate
  • Even though commentators kept saying Nando looked thin I actually thought he looked a bit bulked up and it was the shorts
  • Rowell looks pretty primed, made a few blues but was playing confidently
  • Flanders makes my weiner throb
  • Joel Jeffrey is going to be a star, I was actually pissed when Derm (I think it was) said he's almost an X-Factor - bro he IS X-Factor
  • Darcy MacPherson had some good moments and has seemed to improve - still some ****ed skill errors but I wouldn't rule him out
  • Holman somehow gets better every year, some of his kicking was sublime, we haven't seen the best of him yet
  • King hasn't lost a yard of pace, in fact he seems faster! That's probably cos I haven't seen him in a minute and I am not used to guys that big moving that fast in a straight line or laterally
  • Marc Lock very quiet today - disappointing from the inaugural captain

s**t result and some shocking patches but tbh I wasn't worried or upset. I saw what I needed to and excited for R1.

Weller Collins Jack L
Powell Ballard Long
Was thinking a rotating forward line of King, Chol, Jeffery, and Casboult (One off the bench) with three small forwards might work better than a forward line of King, Chol, Jeffery, and Lukosius.

Bring back Rory Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back