Leigh Matthews: the most Anti Hawks Commentator on TV?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if anyone is entitled to criticise the Hawks a little, it's Lethal. Dunstall's no different, in a way I'm the same. Some of my criticism is simply looking for ways where the Hawks can improve, not because I have any personal axe to grind. Love Hodgey to bits, but if he does anything stupid, I'll criticise it :)

Those two examples aremy exactly conclusive proof.

Ex Hawks tend to, in their quest for impartiality, overcompensate a little. I have no issue with it.

I find Harley does the same when commentating on Cats games.

It's just natural.

Last edited:

Leigh goes out of his way at times to show he has no Hawthorn bias, he needs to in a sense as he has quite a reputible standing in the media. I have no issue with what he says, however the one time I did was when he was passing judgment on Lake in the Petrie issue. During the after match review he was almost pleading with the review panel to go hard on Lakey, that annoyed me! Maybe he was trying to give Lake a chance to get some running fitness? Maybe he secretly knew itd work out?

Lethal is a hawk great, and if anyone is to criticise the footy club and can do so without regard it's him.

Jumping at shadows here. I think he's a pretty good commentator to be honest.

In regards to your first example, I completely agree with him. Why shouldn't you be able to block the third man up? Why should he be allowed unrestricted access to a contest that is primary for the ruckman? I don't have an issue with third men going up, but there also shouldn't be an issue with them being blocked.

I have no issue with what he says, however the one time I did was when he was passing judgment on Lake in the Petrie issue. During the after match review he was almost pleading with the review panel to go hard on Lakey, that annoyed me! Maybe he was trying to give Lake a chance to get some running fitness? Maybe he secretly knew itd work out?

Well to be fair to him he wasn't alone, Clarkson, Hodge and Lewis also gave the MRP the green light to go hard on Lake.

I think if anyone is entitled to criticise the Hawks a little, it's Lethal. Dunstall's no different, in a way I'm the same. Some of my criticism is simply looking for ways where the Hawks can improve, not because I have any personal axe to grind. Love Hodgey to bits, but if he does anything stupid, I'll criticise it :)

Leigh is also the Football Director and Vice President of the Brisbane Lions...

Like Barassi I've always got the impression that Matthews is above club loyalties, he's really the new age statesman of the game

Where IS Hodgey at, anyway?

Leigh goes out of his way at times to show he has no Hawthorn bias, he needs to in a sense as he has quite a reputible standing in the media. I have no issue with what he says, however the one time I did was when he was passing judgment on Lake in the Petrie issue. During the after match review he was almost pleading with the review panel to go hard on Lakey, that annoyed me! Maybe he was trying to give Lake a chance to get some running fitness? Maybe he secretly knew itd work out?

Lethal is a hawk great, and if anyone is to criticise the footy club and can do so without regard it's him.

I don't know what other judgement you can pass when Lake was plainly choking Petrie.

Considering how reserved he generally is, he was basically barracking for us in the 2014 GF. He rarely shows emotion but he was loving that game. I don't see how anyone could think he has a beef with Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 examples: "Why shouldn't players be able to block Lewis, that's wrong, he shouldn't be allowed to be 3rd man up they should be able to block him" This went on for longer than the entire first quarter.

I heard from a reliable source that Jordan Lewis made love to Mrs Matthews while the rest of the squad stood around them in a circle clapping. I believe this may have contributed to Leigh's negativity towards the list.

Last edited:
Considering how reserved he generally is, he was basically barracking for us in the 2014 GF. He rarely shows emotion but he was loving that game. I don't see how anyone could think he has a beef with Hawthorn.

^^^this….he was probably conscious of this and tried to over compensate yesterday in an effort to be neutral hence appearing a little anti Hawks yesterday

I don't know what other judgement you can pass when Lake was plainly choking Petrie.

Let me stick my fingers in your eyes and see how you would react? A cup of tea and biscuit maybe?

I heard from a reliable source that Jordan Lewis had sex with Mrs Matthews while the rest of the squad stood around them in a circle clapping. I believe this may have contributed to Leigh's negativity towards the list.
There is no need for this sort.

Leigh is a legend of this club and his commentary is similar to Dunstall's and Brereton's. They try very hard not to show bias. I have found his comments to be harmless and better than some others.

In a really good place. BTW, the AFL website said it was Hodgey's 250th game today, but I thought he played his 250th in the 2014 GF. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Probably just s**t journalism. Quite sure his 250th was the GF. They even had it on the banner.

In a really good place. BTW, the AFL website said it was Hodgey's 250th game today, but I thought he played his 250th in the 2014 GF. Can anyone shed some light on this?
The AFL decided to not attribute the training run that was the 2014 GF towards games played.

There is no need for this sort.

Leigh is a legend of this club and his commentary is similar to Dunstall's and Brereton's. They try very hard not to show bias. I have found his comments to be harmless and better than some others.

Agreed. I am always up for a dirty joke but this is just off. Seysearles - could you edit that out of your post?

Calls a spade a spade. No issue.

Funny how some supporters see commentators differently. I always thought Tom Harley was such a pro-Geelong supporter wayne-kerr, but the Cats supporters hated him as a commentator and thought he was ant--Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back