Injury Lincoln McCarthy - injured ankle 7/5/16

Remove this Banner Ad

Also if he is now LTI, then who get the promotion? Potentially Luxford? Probably as close to like for like as we can get. Not going to mention bates as i know the effect he has on some people.
I think Luxford would have to be the one. Bates can't even get on the park and has played 1 qtr of footy since being drafted. All the other Rookies are way off (Delaney injury wise).
I have been quite pleased with Luxford's progression. Considering his non footy background I think he showed plenty of glimpses in the VFL last year to show he certainly has potential. He is still has a way to go but if he can continue to progress he may surprise (Blitz when he first came to the club seemed more far off than Lux was so who knows?!). He's a small forward too so is a perfect replacement position wise for Lincoln.
Certainly don't see him getting a game at this stage if Linc does go onto the LTI list, but after a year learning the system he might start to step it up a bit in the VFL.

I think Luxford would have to be the one. Bates can't even get on the park and has played 1 qtr of footy since being drafted. All the other Rookies are way off (Delaney injury wise).
I have been quite pleased with Luxford's progression. Considering his non footy background I think he showed plenty of glimpses in the VFL last year to show he certainly has potential. He is still has a way to go but if he can continue to progress he may surprise (Blitz when he first came to the club seemed more far off than Lux was so who knows?!). He's a small forward too so is a perfect replacement position wise for Lincoln.
Certainly don't see him getting a game at this stage if Linc does go onto the LTI list, but after a year learning the system he might start to step it up a bit in the VFL.

Having the potential senior spot upgrade is a pretty nice carrot to dangle for a young player, and extra motivation could be amazing.

I could see Toohey getting it as well. Of course, Lucy or Read might get it if the GFC ruck stock situtaion follows previous years.....

But on form, in Feb, Id have Toohey and Luxford if at all.

Go Catters

Having the potential senior spot upgrade is a pretty nice carrot to dangle for a young player, and extra motivation could be amazing.
Great point. A bit of extra motivation to earn a spot on the senior list certainly won't hurt. McCarthy may not play again (Fingers crossed he gets another chance) so that spot could perhaps become a permanent one.

I could see Toohey getting it as well. Of course, Lucy or Read might get it if the GFC ruck stock situtaion follows previous years.....

But on form, in Feb, Id have Toohey and Luxford if at all.

Go Catters
Toohey's still a little raw for me but you might be right, they may choose to hold off on the upgrade and see how the season plays out in regards to form and injury. Toohey's stocks may rise should our big man situation not sort it's s*** out.

have to persist with him in my view. Obviously side line him this year but get him right for next year as he's a little too talented to give up on. Understandable there is Menzel, Vardy and Cowan who are also injury-prone and have played very little football over the years. If Two of those three can get back, Lincoln is another that get through this.

Depends on his contract situation. As you say, we've got 3 players carrying long term injuries that there remain huge issues on - Menzel, Cowan and Vardy. Menzel in my view won't come back (there's no return date right now, which people seem to be forgetting), and the other two are dubious. To keep another long term injury on the list is insanity. It would also smack of the biggest problem we seem to have in list management - making the same mistake over and over and not learning from it.

If his contract is until the end of 2015, then reassess at the end of the year. If the other three have recovered he could be kept on. If not, then it becomes much tougher.

Also if he is now LTI, then who get the promotion? Potentially Luxford? Probably as close to like for like as we can get. Not going to mention bates as i know the effect he has on some people.
As far as I can tell there is only 1 rookie listed player going up north to play this weekend....

I'd say he is in the box seat to be elevated.. if they actually bother elevating anyone. They don't have to do it so likely won't unless he is going to play seniors anyway

As far as I can tell there is only 1 rookie listed player going up north to play this weekend....

I'd say he is in the box seat to be elevated.. if they actually bother elevating anyone. They don't have to do it so likely won't unless he is going to play seniors anyway

I believe the cutoff is some time away. Most likely they'll wait until just before then. A lot can change in the interim.

I believe the cutoff is some time away. Most likely they'll wait until just before then. A lot can change in the interim.
Yep its mid year I think. They certainly won't elevate one just because they can.

Knowing our list there probably will be another spot available soon anyway when another one of our injury prone goes down

You've just guessed that as a squad hasn't been announced.Lucey is the one you're talking about because we know some big men aren't available and some aren't playing all games.Doesn't mean Bates,Luxford or other Rookies won't play sunday.

You've just guessed that as a squad hasn't been announced.Lucey is the one you're talking about because we know some big men aren't available and some aren't playing all games.Doesn't mean Bates,Luxford or other Rookies won't play sunday.
Absolutely just guessed it... :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are yout thinking Lucey after his puff piece in the addy? Must be progressing a much better then i would have imagined. I'm still of the opinion that unless they see him as an adequate ruck replacement this year if all our rucks break down again, they are better off putting minutes into someone on the senior list in NAB cup games.

Are yout thinking Lucey after his puff piece in the addy? Must be progressing a much better then i would have imagined. I'm still of the opinion that unless they see him as an adequate ruck replacement this year if all our rucks break down again, they are better off putting minutes into someone on the senior list in NAB cup games.
Scott confirmed it today in a press conference that he will be playing.

I personally don't think he should be elevated any time soon but he may just blow us all away i guess as well

have to persist with him in my view. Obviously side line him this year but get him right for next year as he's a little too talented to give up on. Understandable there is Menzel, Vardy and Cowan who are also injury-prone and have played very little football over the years. If Two of those three can get back, Lincoln is another that get through this.
Given that there was only a 30% chance of him getting back last time according to Hocking I wouldn't hold out much hope for him this time sadly:(

Scott confirmed it today in a press conference that he will be playing.

I personally don't think he should be elevated any time soon but he may just blow us all away i guess as well
I'd be more then happy for him to do that hah

Very tough break for the kid, but you've got to conclude that there is more than dumb luck at play here. There is a significant likelihood that his body cannot bear the strain of AFL footy.

Assuming that he is signed til the end of the year - and I would be very surprised if he was signed further than that, given his history - there is every chance that his time as a Geelong player is effectively over.

Personally, I had seen enough in his flashes in the team to have bought into his potential as a future mainstay of the team. Terrible pity.

From August 2014:

GEELONG has given injury-prone small forward Lincoln McCarthy two more seasons to prove himself at the highest level.
Foot and back problems have limited the 20-year-old South Australian, who was selected with pick 66 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, to just three AFL games.
But the Cats recently handed him a new two-year contract.
"(I'm) really happy about that," McCarthy told K-Rock radio on Saturday night.
"It obviously makes you feel more secure at the club, and I think it just helps you mentally relax and work on what you really need to work on, and move forward without that stress of (wondering if) you’re going to be here next year or not.
"When I finally did sign the contract, I said to 'Balmey' (football manager Neil Balme), 'Wellsy’ (recruiting boss Stephen Wells) and 'Scotty' (head coach Chris Scott), 'Thanks for keeping me on'."

Looks like he is good till end of 2016 unless he pulls the pin.

McCarthy, Menzel, Cowan, Vardy - at least one wont have a chair when the music stops. End of 2015 is gonna be rough.

GO Catters

Last edited:
From August 2014:

GEELONG has given injury-prone small forward Lincoln McCarthy two more seasons to prove himself at the highest level.
Foot and back problems have limited the 20-year-old South Australian, who was selected with pick 66 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, to just three AFL games.
But the Cats recently handed him a new two-year contract.
"(I'm) really happy about that," McCarthy told K-Rock radio on Saturday night.
"It obviously makes you feel more secure at the club, and I think it just helps you mentally relax and work on what you really need to work on, and move forward without that stress of (wondering if) you’re going to be here next year or not.
"When I finally did sign the contract, I said to 'Balmey' (football manager Neil Balme), 'Wellsy’ (recruiting boss Stephen Wells) and 'Scotty' (head coach Chris Scott), 'Thanks for keeping me on'."
Good info, GFrost.
So, Linc has another chance. Story might yet get a happy ending.

I think the club will hold off until they a) feel one of our rookies is ready for promotion- whatever the position (I believe we have covered every position and have backups for each), or b) several short term injuries occur to similar-type players, and a like-for-like rookie is promoted to fill the gap. Again- they need to be close to ready. There's no hurry to promote anyone.
I'd love to see Soapy get a game, though! :)

Edit- oops- dazbroncos covered my thoughts in his post below yours. Apologies for doubling up, daz!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back