Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions have interest in Eagles Ruck Eleanor Hartill.

Brisbane forward Zimmie Farquharson has already joined the Bulldogs, traded for pick No.41 last Friday, while West Coast ruck Eleanor Hartill is also considering an offer from the Dogs but also has strong interest from Brisbane and Greater Western Sydney.

I wonder if we are looking to get a bit more physicality in the rucking ranks. Our rucks were often out bodied (not withstanding the blocking in the contest) this season.

I wonder if we are looking to get a bit more physicality in the rucking ranks. Our rucks were often out bodied (not withstanding the blocking in the contest) this season.
Can't say I've watched as much West Coast games as other teams, but it seems like she's been used a bit all over the ground. Looks as though she's been playing mainly as a defender but had a handy game in the ruck vs Essendon.

I am not sure what the special sauce was that applied to the compensation pics re Molloy-11, Bates-12 and Bodey-32. Molloy was traded coming off an injury cloud and Bates had won the league medal the year before her trade year. Bodey was the highest goal kicking non key forward in the league. You could mount a convincing argument on statistical output that Molloy and Bodey were the more comparable pair.

Maybe they have a great Crystal Ball ......... Season 8 performances tell me that they got it right regards order, but for actual picks received, Bodey was not adequate compo at 32??

Personally, I rate Molloy's season 8 ahead of the other two, after carrying Sydney into their first Finals series and generally elevating that clubs level of performance (aided by the breakout year from Ally Morphett) ....... Bates did win another B&F, but without any real competition at Hawthorn, and Bodey about maintained her output.

But really, TFB has it right ...... lower ranking would have been the "Special Sauce" reason.

BRISBANE is on the cusp of landing West Coast's Shanae Davison and could also grab her teammate Eleanor Hartill, but a trio of Lions could be departing the club in the coming days.

Brisbane, which now appears almost certain to land both Davison and Hartill, could however lose young trio Bella Smith, Ella Smith and Courtney Murphy as all three weigh up moves elsewhere.

Would be nice to keep the depth, but you can tell these girls can see it's going to be difficult to break into the team. Outside of Lutsy, there's not likely to be many retirements in the short term.

Ella Smith joins the Suns and Bella Smith joins the Cats.Two Eagles moved to the Lions. Shanae Davison and Eleanor Hartill.

It seems like we have particularly targeted the two Eagles girls with an eye to the future. Both early twenties so hopefully a bit more developed as players. Coming from the Eagles they will be quite hungry for success.

The girls who have left, the two Smith girls and Pauga, all must have known what their options were: wait and hope to work their way in to the starting team or take their chances elsewhere to get more games.

It seems like we have particularly targeted the two Eagles girls with an eye to the future. Both early twenties so hopefully a bit more developed as players. Coming from the Eagles they will be quite hungry for success.

The girls who have left, the two Smith girls and Pauga, all must have known what their options were: wait and hope to work their way in to the starting team or take their chances elsewhere to get more games.
Yeah, the two Eagles girls are legit, plus we still have pick 12 and a few very nice academy prospects after that.

If you are struggling for a spot in the side now, it's going to be a lot harder next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am pretty sure that a lot of our local girls go back to their QAFL clubs until AFLW preseason training begins.

I wonder if the new draftees from WA will be encouraged to make the move early and get settled in well before the preseason begins.

Sounds like a big
View attachment 1871633

Looks like we gave up pick 12 in the ultra trade as well.
Hard to make sense as to why, but it could be we've made a commitment to draft local and need enough to match. Not that I understand the live bidding process and how it relates to players nominating a state.

It's understood clubs were kept mostly in the dark on what the other teams would receive as part of the trade, and instead agreed to the deal on the basis of what they would get individually.

That was because of a lingering feeling that some clubs had been pulling out of smaller multi-team trades due to being unhappy that another side was getting 'more' from the same deal, frustratingly halting other moves from happening elsewhere.

Brisbane was the final side to approve the trade and had been seen by the other 10 clubs involved as being the sticking point in negotiations, given it would ultimately trade out pick No.12 for later selections as part of the discussions.

However, in the knowledge it would have Northern Academy players to match bids on ahead of next Monday night's AFLW draft, Brisbane eventually accepted the proposal and the League's officials gave the deal the green light shortly after.

Sounds like a big

Hard to make sense as to why, but it could be we've made a commitment to draft local and need enough to match. Not that I understand the live bidding process and how it relates to players nominating a state.
Do we have to match bids on players now in the AFLW draft?

So if we bid on one of their players with our first pick and they matched they would be kinda cleaned out?
I don't think there's the points equivalent, it's just the next pick in the same round. If you don't have a pick in the same round, you can't match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back