Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Roys FFC, Lakers
developer-lords-of-the-fallen-could-not-be-achieve_k7uw.1920.jpg

Anybody here on BigFooty interested in this? it's coming out on the 31st October, and I'm hearing good things about it. Most are comparing it with Dark Souls although not exactly the same it seems like the most accurate categorisation. Watched some in-game footage yesterday and the visuals look fantastic, combat is very Souls-like, but the devs have said it won't be as hard. One thing that won't please many people is that you are stuck with the one, male character.

So, will this game be consigned to the niche bin? What will it take for you to buy it? For mine, I'm happy with it being labelled a Souls clone, I love those games.

Developers did say it is very Souls inspired. I don't think it is going to be quite as brutal but everything I have seen suggests it is a little less forgiving than the typical RPG today. I can't remember but I got a pretty funny feeling I pre-ordered this. I tend to do that when there isn't much to play and I just need an excuse to walk into EB, have a chat about games and spend money on something gaming related.

I reallly dig these types of fantasy games, so I'm pretty hyped for it. There has been basically no marketing for it though hence why I said niche earlier. I believe thr devs have made it more accessible than Souls but have geared it towards that audience. They reckon you will die a lot. I welcome that anyway, plus it's a true next-gen (current really) title only released on the new consoles and PC of course.

I got burned with Bound By Flame (no pun intended) which also received little press before launch. Reserving a little bit of caution on this one.

I kind of know what you mean but I actually enjoyed Bound by Flame, I know it was pretty rough around the edges and at times rough everywhere, but it had a kind of charm. I think because it was made by such a small team that I have respect for them and what they tried to achieve without mad dollars behind them.

That said I believe Lords of the Fallen will be much better.

Here is a good hands on. Really good for me because I'm not sure I can give a 'souls' game the attention and patience it deserves at the moment. But rather on my "to get in the immediate future" list. Really like the suggestion that this is the first of a new genre after the 'genre defining Souls games'. The genre of 'souls like'. Hope it catches on.

XP diminishing over time while you fight back to pick it up is a brutal 1-up on Souls.

Here is a good hands on. Really good for me because I'm not sure I can give a 'souls' game the attention and patience it deserves at the moment. But rather on my "to get in the immediate future" list. Really like the suggestion that this is the first of a new genre after the 'genre defining Souls games'. The genre of 'souls like'. Hope it catches on.

XP diminishing over time while you fight back to pick it up is a brutal 1-up on Souls.

I'm glad you put that video up. The gameplay looks great, and I am so looking forward to a game with some story. The diminishing XP seems like a great design choice, will up the risk/reward ante.

I'm just spewing it's not out today, bloody Haloween releases farkin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep changing my mind. Think I'll get this day one now. I saw I am less than 400 carrots from level 4 at EB so will preorder Thursday night provided the release is still friday (today for pc and rest of world. Apparently Australia didn't get the memo it was brought forward to 28th) for 20 carrots, then trade in Shadow of Mordor and Driveclub and will price match whoever has it cheapest at Southland. Looks like my 4 day weekend will be set.

Getting this game will probably also stop me from impulse buying new CoD.

Is it true there's a 5gb patch. That sucks. Will take me over 5 hours with my net.

Apparently Australia didn't get the memo it was brought forward to 28th.

I know right? I went in on the 28th expecting it there but nah, we Oztraylia mate, gotta wait 4 more ******* days. I say 4 because my local JB didn't even have it yesterday. Forced to buy from EB for the first time in ages, traded in BBF and TLOU (PS3), price matched JB even though they didn't have it (like they bloody should).

Anyway, I knew I would love this game within the first hour; using a Cleric Brawler and my word that heavy hammer is so satisfying, especially when you just crunch fools' heads with the heavy strike. Only thing I don't like is the voice acting so far, Harkyn's voice just doesn't seem to suit his head.

I was actually going in Thursday night to trade in a couple games and pre-order for yesterday for the 20 extra carrots (because I'm a bee's dick from level 4 at EB) but saw it was 'out now.' I asked the bloke and he said yep they're selling it, so I quickly looked up JB's price and he matched it. I later went into JB to check out some bluray sales and saw they weren't even selling it yet. Hoorah.

Anyway, finally fired it up this morning and about an hour and a half in. Quite enjoying it. I knew I was meant to approach it like a Souls game but I found myself being a noob and just tanking some hits with mobs and trading blows. That was until I got to the First Warden until I died about 5 times because that's about when the game says "no, you actually have to play it like this." :D I'm rolling with a full tanky warrior because that's how I usually roll through RPGs the first time. Got my strength up to 15 ASAP so I could wield the greatsword before I realised it was a greatsword... but I'll persevere until I find a good weapon more appropriate to sword and board. Need to get my faith up next I think, dumped XP into SP without looking at the spell requirements. Need to get faith to 12 before I can even use a spell.

Had it come out after DA:I and Witcher 3 I might have had a different opinion, but fact is I've been craving a new action/RPG for so long.

That's exactly it, for now it's the best RPG (western style) available on PS4. I really like it, takes some getting used to, specifically the stat screens and dumping points into AP and SP or whatever, but overall I dig much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back