Management- What does the result really mean this week ?

To rest or not to rest

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Roy boys

Club Legend
Mar 14, 2008
victoria
Its now pretty much confirmed that Hawthorn will be playing Geelong in week 1 of the finals. The result this week really is not important, the only important thing is ensuring the 22 that take the field in the first week of the finals are cherry ripe.

Yesterday the spread from the contest was non existent, weather this was because players had an eye to 3 weeks time or were sore remains to be seen.

This is where its important to be able to judge the difference between a player needing K's in his legs and playing against Geelong or a player needing a week off to see off any niggles and recharge the batteries.

Sam Mitchell - Whilst still getting plenty of the footy his disposal has been very average by his lofty standards since his return, weather that has anything to do with the hammy I don't know. I get the impression just by the way his running that he is not in tip top shape just ATM. A week off at this stage of the year could be important for what is hopefully 4 tough games following.

Luke Hodge - Has played a lot of footy this year. Give him the week off he doesn't need to play following a 6 day break from Perth not to mention another 6 day break before the pies.

Shaun Burgoyne - The rolls royce has been slightly down over the last couple of weeks. A week off his old knees should freshen him up and would be more advantageous then playing against Geelong.

Bradley Hill - Watching him run in the Sydney game he looked sore, in between play he was often walking with a slight limp which was certainly not normal. I'm assuming this can't be fixed with a week off so I think getting more K's into his legs following his lay off would be beneficial.

Jordan Lewis - Is absolutely flying so probably not really worth risking that form by giving him a week off unless he is really sore.

Is there anyone else I'm missing ?

The result is pointless this week and will be forgotten to 2 weeks time. So rest up.

Psychological advantage is still up for grabs. There is no way Clarko will concede this week.

That is the million dollars question: will Clarko go all out to break the cats hoodoo?

Well not really!

The million dollar question is given that:

- we are so crap against the cats, 11 loses in H& games since 2008
- they have such big ins for them, Bartel & Johnson
- the umpires will get them across the line in any situation
- the odds are so good for a win by the cats

should hawks fans splash a bit of cash say 10k, on a cats win at around $2.20?

We have to be a near certainty to lose.

That is the million dollars question: will Clarko go all out to break the cats hoodoo?

Well not really!

WTF how are Geleong $2.20-$2.30?! Even if they hadn't beaten us umpteen times in a row in H&A, they are second on the ladder! Surely it should be a bit closer than that.

If we lose - doesn't matter, all part of the plan

If we win - proof of pending premiership
Huh? Isn't a premiership THE plan? o_O

besides, I would have thought that us grabbing 2nd place on the ladder (by beating both cats and pies) is the safest place for us - eliminates the small chance of Cats taking top and the $wan$ (if they lose to Tiges) slipping to 2nd.

Don't know but they are $2.25 here:

http://www.bet365.com.au/home/FlashGen4/WebConsoleApp.asp?&cb=1088057810

This is not an ad just a link to prove the contention.

That is why it's so tempting!

:)

They are $2.30 at betstar. I'd have us even at best, and probably them slight favourites, especially since Lake is out of form, and Gunston too, who is one of our only forwards who can still function against Geelong. Rough will probably be useless as usual, and Schoenmakers/TOB have been just paperweights up forward, very rarely actually getting in the game. Hale hasn't been in great form either. It really is a horrible situation, as unless we are hitting forwards on the chest, Geelong's defence destroys us.

On TAB we are $1.62, the pussies are $2.30.
I would be backing the cats in bigtime at those odds because they always friggin win (except on two occasions, when it mattered :D)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When coaches say we are managing/resting players what they really mean is that the said player is/has been carrying an injury and now is the time to give him a break! You don't rest players from doing what they are paid to so, and that's to play the game all year if fit. Footballers don't train much this time of the year anyway plus they have 5 to 6 days with non contact rest up so I honestly think it's the opposite effect and that we really should field best 22 and try to play our way as we really haven't done that for a while now. Jugular time.

The result this week for you guys means sweet FA. You're top 4 regardless.

Yes we are but in 2008 and 2013 we were in good form leading into the finals. A win here would be highly beneficial for our team to give them confidence going into week one.

Too many players have missed games, the opposite of resting players is needed.

Exactly, the only players who might need a rest are Hill (knee still a bit off) and Burgoyne.

Mitchell, Lake, Stratton and those that have missed significant football need to be playing as they are all below their best at this point, sitting in the stands will not help that.

Lewis, Hodge, Bruest and co have all carried big work loads his year but Hodge and Lewis have missed games and they have all had their byes so lets get serious what is sitting in the stands going to achieve?

Unless they are not 100% with injury they should be playing this week.

The mental edge we can gain (whether they have players out or not) from having a good win against them is immense.

AFL match preview has the Hawks by 5 points and now this!? ..... they are all trolling Hawthorn for sure!

We all know the script already... we surge ahead to a 25 point lead late in the second qtr, only to be over ran in the 3rd... we bring it back to a close contest in the last 5 minutes... and then BANG! Christensen/Motlop/Selwood/Stokes all start simultaneously ducking/flicking/flailing to earn free kicks in front of goals and the umpire from across the ground pays it!

I'm already pissed off (sorry I should be more optimistic)

If we lose - doesn't matter, all part of the plan

If we win - proof of pending premiership
If we lose - "it's a dead rubber! Nothing game."

If we win - psychological victory.

Well not really!

I don't believe Johnson will be playing.

I'll give you my bank account details and you can transfer $10k into my account and I'll place the bet for you...;)

The result of this game means jack so far as September is concerned!.....Conclusion: Rest all of our guns , as this is their last chance. With 2x6 day breaks, this is imperative before finals....Or do I need to remind you all of the debacle that befell us during & after the St.Kilda/Sydney Games????

Every single move/strategy must be geared with an eye on the Qualifying final from here on in....That game is a must to win if we are to be any chance of winning this years Premiership!...And yes, It will be against the CATS.

That's not how the media will see it.
That was from our POV.

The media will be like...
If we lose - "ZOMG! KENUT KURSE!"

If we win - "Geelong had nothing to play for tonight and I think Alastair Clarkson has shown Chris Scott all his cards" - Tom Harley

Back